Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

For a second when I saw the thread title, I thought the OP was asking if Columbia University campus was safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its not that much diversity, its about 70% hispanic, 20% black & about 10% white
How "diverse" is your area? Not to bash you but people throw that word around aimlessly........

116th depending on what side...and I mean East side, West side or Central Harlem is very diverse culturally. You look at it in the form of color. If thats the case nowhere is truly diverse by your above breakdown. Culturally, that area had Ethiopians, Somali's, Cameroonians, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Nigerians and Kenyans, etc. Also Whites, Asians and African Americans. The West side starting from 8th ave. going towards Park ave is Ethiopians, white, asian, Afro-American, Camerronian, Somalian. From Lenox down to the River is mainly Layino, hence the nickname "Spanish Harlem".

Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperEastSider94Street View Post
TONS? dont exaggerate, the large majority east of 2nd ave is still greatly black and hispanic. and million dollar apartments? where? send me links ha

and there is a similar shopping mall in the south bronx? poor people need cheap shopping like cost co too. and best buy is closing by the way, not enough business

They opened because they received enormous tax incentives to do so.
Moreover, Costco (I think ?) has closed. And do not forget the violence that has happened in the complex itself.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 AM

120 posts, read 203,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
They opened because they received enormous tax incentives to do so.
Moreover, Costco (I think ?) has closed. And do not forget the violence that has happened in the complex itself.
I was at Costco on Sunday. It is open. Best Buy is indeed shutting down.

The shopping cart incident was a big story and creates a cause for concern. However, there has not been a history of systemic violence at East River Plaza.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM

19 posts, read 50,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Ok...I'll bite.
Yes. TONS...not a few....T O N S.

345 EAST 116--$1,400,000

342 EAST 116th St---$750,000
wow, i'd rather buy a gut reno brownstone for $300,000 and invest another $100,000 fixing it up than pay those prices

but my question was more: is anyone actually paying a million unless the property is on madison by central park? a bunch of these brownstones have been sitting waiting for a buyer since 08. most of the fully functioning townhouses around 116 are selling only for $300,000-$500,000. the majority of million dollar + townhouses have had their prices cut substantially if you look at recent listings. some even 50%

at the end of the day, why would i pay such money to live in the area that holds manhattan's highest violent crime rate?

its all hype. pay close to a million and have to go downtown whenever i want to go out

Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
The precinct that covers East Harlem has a murder rate of 17 per 100,000 in 2012. This number was in the top 5 citywide. It doesn't help that there are so many bad housing projects in the area, but if there are any "unsafe" areas in NYC, East Harlem is one of them.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Ok...I'll bite.
Yes. TONS...not a few....T O N S.
Obviously nowhere near the amount in the 'richer' parts of Manhattan, but compared to just 10 years ago, then yes, TONS would be the correct word.

Clearly you don't know the area if you don't think there are million dollar {or close to it} apts.
331 E 116th St---$975,000

345 EAST 116--$1,400,000

342 EAST 116th St---$750,000

That simple Google search took me 5 minutes, which is prob more time than you've ever spent in that area since you didn't know this.
Imagine if somebody was actually in the market for it.
They'd find more.
ALOT MORE.
ummmmkayyyy?????
Now what?
Those are townhouses, not apartments, and both prices are therefore low enough. I know one of the buildings and it has four occupied rentals.

It seems your simple google search has led you astray.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjl1989 View Post
I know this is 2 yrs later, but there are a lot of ignorant people out there and i feel i need to state my opinion. I am a 22 yr old young woman who has a 2 bedroom apartment on 115th st and 5th ave. it is just me and my daughter living here and it has never been dangerous to the point i didnt want to go outside.
things still happen over there. there was a police tower exactly where you're located. now they've got one on 125th btwn morningside & amsterdam, at grant projects, which "supposedly" isn't one of the worst projects in harlem. go figure!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperEastSider94Street View Post
TONS? dont exaggerate, the large majority east of 2nd ave is still greatly black and hispanic. and million dollar apartments? where? send me links ha

and there is a similar shopping mall in the south bronx? poor people need cheap shopping like cost co too. and best buy is closing by the way, not enough business
you're right, and wrong. on-point about BB. best buy is almost bare now, and is indeed shutting it's doors. costco, has many high end things in it's store. not exactly "cheap" shopping.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The precinct that covers East Harlem has a murder rate of 17 per 100,000 in 2012. This number was in the top 5 citywide. It doesn't help that there are so many bad housing projects in the area, but if there are any "unsafe" areas in NYC, East Harlem is one of them.
which precinct? there are various precincts that cover EH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City