Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
How do the elementary schools rank? PS 239, 68, 88, etc...
I recommend PS 88, PS 71 in Ridgewood, or PS 91 in Glendale. Also, even though it's on the other side of Glendale, PS 113 is suppose to be one of the best elementary schools in Queens. I would avoid the schools in Ridgewood/Glendale that are near Bushwick. PS 88 and PS 71 are also much more diverse [there are still a lot of white kids in these schools]. Ditto with PS 91 and 113 in Glendale.

Also, IS 119 in Glendale is very good. I live right by this school. I'm sure it's a much better middle school then the ones in Ridgewood. Just throwing this out there when it's time to send your kids to middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I recommend PS 88, PS 71 in Ridgewood, or PS 91 in Glendale. Also, even though it's on the other side of Glendale, PS 113 is suppose to be one of the best elementary schools in Queens. I would avoid the schools in Ridgewood/Glendale that are near Bushwick. PS 88 and PS 71 are also much more diverse [there are still a lot of white kids in these schools]. Ditto with PS 91 and 113 in Glendale.

Also, IS 119 in Glendale is very good. I live right by this school. I'm sure it's a much better middle school then the ones in Ridgewood. Just throwing this out there when it's time to send your kids to middle school.
More white kids doesn't equate to better schools... This is definitely the case for 71... 71 isn't a good school at all... Not so much because of problems with the kids but because of horrible leadership, lackluster teaching, cafeteria helpers that have been there for nearly 30 years and treat the students horribly and low grades... The principal was rated one of the worst in the city among teachers. And the math and reading levels dropped in her time there. 64.8% of students are at grade level in math and 48% are at grade level in reading...

P.S. 71 forest - insideschools.org
P.S. 71 Forest - Ridgewood, New York - NY - School overview
And it gets a 4 out of 10 in the great schools website rating... That's why I didn't mention 71 originally... I've also heard mixed things about 119... Not sure on what to believe but in general most of the district 24 schooling isn't that great. Better than others but not great. However, as Doomdan stated, if you were to take a chance on schooling in the neighborhood, best bet would either be the Glendale schools... (P.S.91 would definitely be a good option) or the schools along the borderline of Glendale other than 68 which is in the Liberty Park section of Glendale which borders Ridgewood, Bushwick and Cypress Hills/ENY.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
More white kids doesn't equate to better schools... This is definitely the case for 71... 71 isn't a good school at all... Not so much because of problems with the kids but because of horrible leadership, lackluster teaching, cafeteria helpers that have been there for nearly 30 years and treat the students horribly and low grades... The principal was rated one of the worst in the city among teachers. And the math and reading levels dropped in her time there. 64.8% of students are at grade level in math and 48% are at grade level in reading...

P.S. 71 forest - insideschools.org
P.S. 71 Forest - Ridgewood, New York - NY - School overview
And it gets a 4 out of 10 in the great schools website rating... That's why I didn't mention 71 originally... I've also heard mixed things about 119... Not sure on what to believe but in general most of the district 24 schooling isn't that great. Better than others but not great. However, as Doomdan stated, if you were to take a chance on schooling in the neighborhood, best bet would either be the Glendale schools... (P.S.91 would definitely be a good option) or the schools along the borderline of Glendale other than 68 which is in the Liberty Park section of Glendale which borders Ridgewood, Bushwick and Cypress Hills/ENY.
My brother went to PS 71, back then it was a very good school. Much better then PS 63 or 64 in Ozone Park [which is where we went after we moved]. Of course, this was almost 20 years ago...

Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
My brother went to PS 71, back then it was a very good school. Much better then PS 63 or 64 in Ozone Park [which is where we went after we moved]. Of course, this was almost 20 years ago...
Yeah it's true back when Peter Griffiths was the principal things ran far more smoothly that under this new lady... She's horrible. I've known a few parents of children that go to this school and my nephew went there recently and it's completely different. The principal tried to micromanage everything but it really seems as if she is new at what she does and has no idea of how to run a school. Principal Olivella is her name or something like that. I wish Griffiths hadn't retired because he was a prime example of tough but fair. I had younger cousins that transfered from a school in woodhaven borderline ENY to 71 in the 90s and he was a great principal.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 7,968 times
Hi there...I'm thinking about moving to Ridgewood from Virginia later this month. What is Starr/Metropolitan Ave/Flushing Ave (near the cemetery) like, safety-wise, as well as access to public transportation? I have a car but I don't feel like driving it all the time, if I can avoid it. Living situation is 2 females in our late 20's. Not sure how this area is racially or if it even matters, but one of us is black and the other is white.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Ehh its just okay... I don't live too far from there and from what I've seen there isn't much crime around there but it's a desolate somewhat industrial area which would always make me a little uncomfortable if I had to live there but to each his own... Race doesn't really matter over there, it's pretty mixed... Used to be more hispanic but in recent years has seen a small amount of hipsters/transplants, asians, working class euro immigrants and black folk move in around there... In terms of amenities, the citi bank and chase are across from each other, there's a couple gas stations and the western beef supermarket as well as a couple random spanish coffee shops around there but that's about it near there...

A little further down once you hit East Williamsburg/Southside by Morgan/Grand ave or the other side of Metropolitan deeper into Ridgewood by Forest ave you'll have much more to choose from... Main form of transportation would be Bus service... The Q54 runs along the metropolitan route and would probably be the best choice to get from A to B... The B67-B69 that stops on Metropolitan and Starr takes forever and doesn't take you anywhere near... It's main stops are by Downtown Brooklyn... The only train service that would relatively near there would be the L train either on Jefferson ave or Morgan ave neither of which would be that close to the immediate area you're talking about...

Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I looked on Google maps and saw how industrial it looked, which is why I was asking about safety - my roommate is the one who bought the condo or whatever it is...just kind of wish I'd been able to come along and look at places before she decided on that haha. Oh well, I've lived in sh*ttier places. Thanks for the input! I might just stay with her until I can find a better spot.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessdot View Post
Yeah, I looked on Google maps and saw how industrial it looked, which is why I was asking about safety - my roommate is the one who bought the condo or whatever it is...just kind of wish I'd been able to come along and look at places before she decided on that haha. Oh well, I've lived in sh*ttier places. Thanks for the input! I might just stay with her until I can find a better spot.
Oh are you moving to these condos? Metropolitan and Starr St - Google Maps

If you are, you're like two blocks away from me... I thought you were talking a little further down by Flushing near metro and woodward (much more desolate area)... If this is where you're moving to you'll be right next to the B38 which can take you to the Dekalb L train station... I'm actually surprised those condos didn't sell out quickly but I'm assuming that being next to the cementary and lack of amenities was the biggest reason for the flop... Just use basic common sense with the area but it's really not bad at all... Where I'm at it's a little more shady cause I'm right by the High school and park which sees some shady activity every now and then...

Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Oh are you moving to these condos?
If you are, you're like two blocks away from me... I thought you were talking a little further down by Flushing near metro and woodward (much more desolate area)... If this is where you're moving to you'll be right next to the B38 which can take you to the Dekalb L train station... I'm actually surprised those condos didn't sell out quickly but I'm assuming that being next to the cementary and lack of amenities was the biggest reason for the flop... Just use basic common sense with the area but it's really not bad at all... Where I'm at it's a little more shady cause I'm right by the High school and park which sees some shady activity every now and then...
Yep! Okay, good. Cemeteries don't bother me (I grew up right across the street from a really creepy one) and a lack of close amenities isn't new to me either. When I first checked out the location on satellite view I was kind of like because it seems like a really random location for condos. They're really nice though, and the washer/dryer is in the unit (score!)

Old 06-13-2012, 03:57 PM

23 posts, read 63,074 times
Yeah, and there is a bus down Metropolitan that takes you to the Grand St L station or all the way to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. If you have a bike, even easier for getting around Queens/Brooklyn... but there are quite a few trucks to watch for on weekdays.

A bit of a hike or an easy bike ride, there are a few pretty good bars around Starr and St. Nicholas, and you are a few blocks away from the enormous Western Beef supermarket. If you walk east on Metropolitan you hit a small business district with pizza, bodegas, pierogies, etc... and a new pharmacy (Walgreens I think) under construction. There are some art galleries that have events in the 17-17 Troutman building. Grover Cleveland Park and the cemetery has some great skyline views (but maybe your condo already does).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City