Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 AM

107 posts, read 234,725 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I have searched for information here several times in the past (its been very helpful, thank you!). Just wanted to register and ask a quick question.

My wife and I (just got married) want to get a "starter home" of sorts to be on our own. We currently live in Suffolk County with relatives but want to be a bit closer to NYC for our job commutes. I hear that Douglaston/Bayside/Little Neck/Oakland Gardens are some of the "safest" places with good school district (26) to start a family.

Previously, I had never considered a co-op, but we have been looking at some in the area of Douglaston/Little Neck (Beech Hills, Deepdale Gardens, Langdale Gardens) and they seem nice and the price is nice.

We've narrowed it down to a 2 bedroom (with "formal dining room" which can be converted to a 3rd bedroom) in the Beech Hills co-op complex. The complex was built in the 1950's so a bit older but the unit we are looking at is in pretty good condition (we'll fix it up a bit).

I just wanted to check with you guys if there's any concerns/things to consider to living in the Beech Hills co-op (any opinions from current residents greatly appreciated) and Douglaston in general. Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,601 times
Nice area, Douglaston as a whole, is a good neighborhood in itself- Best of luck to ya

Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 AM

112 posts, read 352,449 times
How many square feet is the unit? How much is the monthly maintenance, and what does it include?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 55,172 times
I am a plumber for Beech Hills co-op the ones closer to the LIE. If you want My personal opinion...........I wouldn't buy there. The plumbing sucks, rude older neighbors always looking to sue someone, apartments are like stacked up boxes and you have to go through much hassle if you want to renovate or do something to your place. But that's just my personal opinion.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBEONER View Post
I am a plumber for Beech Hills co-op the ones closer to the LIE. If you want My personal opinion...........I wouldn't buy there. The plumbing sucks, rude older neighbors always looking to sue someone, apartments are like stacked up boxes and you have to go through much hassle if you want to renovate or do something to your place. But that's just my personal opinion.
What you have to say about this co-op is pretty much true about all of them! They all suck to some degree, sorry.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
What you have to say about this co-op is pretty much true about all of them! They all suck to some degree, sorry.
Some people hate co ops because there are rules and they can't do whatever they want or rent out their apartments to whoever they want.

Other people love co ops because there are rules and their neighbors can't do whatever they want and can't rent their apartments out to whoever the want.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,601 times
I own a co op in whitestone- Beautiful area, great neighbors- true we are NOT allowed to sublet but I think these "rules" are what makes my neighborhood still good- you are not allowed to have 5 people living in a one bedroom

Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 PM

The rules any co-op may have should protect and enhance the quality of life of its shareholders. Unfortunately, there are too many instance where this ain't so. One of the most widespread complaints you will hear is how co-op owners lose their buyers due to board rejection when they want or need to sell their apartment.

Imagine, especially in this bad economy how difficult a task it is to get a buyer when your unit is for sale. Once an owner is lucky enough to get someone in contract the next step is a board interview. While I'm sure many co-ops are reasonable about what qualifications are necessary for approval, too many simply reject buyers due to ridiculous standards that most will not be able to meet. The owner, should their buyer be rejected is then indefinitely trapped in the unit until they can find just the right applicant for the board to approve. In the meantime, months go by...

I look forward to NY laws changing in the favor of a shareholder soon to stop the cycle of abuse that way too many co-ops exercise against shareholders who are NOT on the board.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 55,172 times
Whitestone has some nice co-ops. The cryder House is probably my favorite. The staff is awesome and that building is up to date. The Bay Club is also great. The thing I don't like about beech hills is that it's built poorly and I don't believe you get what you pay for. I am a plumber for many buildings and co-ops all around flushing/Whitestone/little neck and lots of queens area. Although I should shut my mouth before someone figures out who I am I rather not see folks spend their life saving in a box with 4 sheet rock walls. Just my opinion.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM

107 posts, read 234,725 times
Thanks everyone for your input! We'll keep everything in mind during our search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City