Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,552 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Astoria from Bay Shore and am keeping my job in Amityville. No choice here at all.

My apartment in on Ditmars and 28th. What is my morning commute going to look like? I have to be at work no later than 8:30 AM. I am thinking the GCP would be my daily commute? Is it going to be a nightmare? WHat are my options for LIRR from Queens to the Amityville train station?

Any light anyone can shed on this commute would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
You'd be better off driving. You'll be doing a "reverse-commute" since, at that hour, most traffic is headed TO the city.

If you have to be to work at 8:30, I would leave at 7:20 --- Your drive would probably be 45-55 minutes, but you should give yourself leeway time just in case (also if you want to stop off on the way for coffee or something).

As for the LIRR ---- not too good going in the opposite direction at rush hour. Here's a link to the MTA/LIRR schedule:

MTA LIRR - Schedules & Fares

Also, where in Amityville are you working?? Are you close to the LIRR station?? If not, you'll have to take a bus or taxi (and THAT would be a hassle everyday! Especially since the LI taxis are known to pick up as many people as they can squeeze in and your 5 minute ride could easily turn into a 30 minute nightmare)

Old 10-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Oh, and driving, you would probably take the GCP to the Wyck to the Belt to the Southern State and then get off at Route 110. Not sure where you're going but these are general directions.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:17 PM

45 posts, read 161,390 times
Omg If you have to take the belt to southern state to 110, thats going to be a nightmare, heres a good idea, Map out your commute on google maps then click on traffic around the ime you want to leave and youll see how bad traffic is. I take the southern state everyday and it is horrible this year compared to last year and before. I dont know what happened! Being on the Southern state at 730 is going to be a pain with traffic though

Old 10-17-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkjoj View Post
Omg If you have to take the belt to southern state to 110, thats going to be a nightmare, heres a good idea, Map out your commute on google maps then click on traffic around the ime you want to leave and youll see how bad traffic is. I take the southern state everyday and it is horrible this year compared to last year and before. I dont know what happened! Being on the Southern state at 730 is going to be a pain with traffic though
At that hour, the traffic is headed TO the city. The OP is headed from Queens to LI. He could also take the LIE, but that would put him very far north of Amityville and take up more time.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM

87 posts, read 227,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
At that hour, the traffic is headed TO the city. The OP is headed from Queens to LI. He could also take the LIE, but that would put him very far north of Amityville and take up more time.
you'd be suprised at the amount of traffic. getting on at my exit on the southern state @ 19 to 32(amityville) is crawling the entire way a lot times. and then theres days when you think traffic is starting to move and people speed up to 70, only for the sun rising to the east blinding drivers and almost causing accidents.

all while the traffic GOING WEST is better.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM

127 posts, read 635,678 times
When my fiancee and I lived in Astoria, not far from the OP's location, she was commuting to Rockville Centre, which is also on the south shore but a fair bit closer, and even that took like 45 minutes. (To be fair, I don't remember exactly what time she was leaving). As was suggested above, traffic wasn't nearly as light as one might expect. Even getting out of Astoria via the 31st/GCP intersection at that time is a nightmare and can take 15+ minutes.

The OP may already know this little "trick" but I would suggest at least during rush hour that one avoid having to make the left off 31st St onto the GCP, which takes forever and is difficult, dangerous, and bound to get you a ticket from some dirtbag cop for blocking the intersection. You can do that by starting out on 31st St. heading toward the GCP, then making a right on 24th Ave and a left on 27th St. After going under the overpass (which is the ramp to the Triboro Bridge), immediately make a left. Then just go straight and bear left across 31st St onto the GCP ramp.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
GCP to Northen State to Wantagh parkway to SS parkway east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City