Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladidadada View Post
Harris is in Flushing, on the Queens College campus. It ranks #33 in the nation according to the U.S. News and World Report and is the #1 high school in NYC according to the New York Post. Sorry, I've heard of John Dewey but don't know much about it!
Dang, I didn't know Townsend Harris was that good of a school.

I got my highest average ever during my 1 semester there (100 average), when I went back to my old school I was jealous of Townsend Harris because they had Air Conditioning lol. The school was also more aesthetically pleasing, functional, & far less violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
FYI, the top SUNY schools, generally considered Binghamton,Stoney Brook, New Paltz and Geneseo, and Cornell ( the land grant schools) are getting better I've heard from friends familair with them, because these schools have become strong low-turition options for many bright students who can't afford private schools. Tutition for NY state schools is still ridiculously low, even when compared with instate tutitions at other states. I think its about $6500 a year. many SUNYs are still party schools, yes. SUNY Albany has this rep big time. But the best of them compare favorably with any other state schools and better than many privates.

As for Hunter, yeah its always considered a great school, with many grads going on to IVy League and other top schools. But you can only enter in the 7th grade and only after passing a hellish test.

Wow! New Paltz? Back in the early 80's New Paltz was known as the Suny that was beyond a party school. It was known as the druggie school. Friends from Woodstock told me during high school they drove to Gage Hall to buy LSD and mesc. tabs and it wasn't uncommon to smell pot through the halls of that mostly "black" residence hall by the library. I guess they cleaned out the bad element at New Paltz.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM

14 posts, read 39,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Dang, I didn't know Townsend Harris was that good of a school.

I got my highest average ever during my 1 semester there (100 average), when I went back to my old school I was jealous of Townsend Harris because they had Air Conditioning lol. The school was also more aesthetically pleasing, functional, & far less violent.
The original school was very well-regarded before it was shut down by the city early last century, and the new incarnation has been well-regarded since its inception in the 1980s. But it's never been as famous as the specialized high schools, which may have something to do with its reputation as a school that focuses on the humanities as opposed to math and science. (I'll give a cookie to whomever picks up on the contradiction in this statement.)

I gotta say, the air conditioning was pretty sweet. And the student body is exceptionally well-behaved. Kudos to you for scoring that hundred average, not many students can say they've done that.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

14 posts, read 39,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
FYI, the top SUNY schools, generally considered Binghamton,Stoney Brook, New Paltz and Geneseo, and Cornell ( the land grant schools) are getting better I've heard from friends familair with them, because these schools have become strong low-turition options for many bright students who can't afford private schools. Tutition for NY state schools is still ridiculously low, even when compared with instate tutitions at other states. I think its about $6500 a year. many SUNYs are still party schools, yes. SUNY Albany has this rep big time. But the best of them compare favorably with any other state schools and better than many privates.

As for Hunter, yeah its always considered a great school, with many grads going on to IVy League and other top schools. But you can only enter in the 7th grade and only after passing a hellish test.
This is true. I had a few classmates who turned down spots at Ivy League schools to attend a SUNY because the latter offered them better financial aid packages. And yes, the Hunter exam is HELLISH.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 16,506 times
Dewey is horrible. End of story.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 AM

10 posts, read 61,140 times
stuyvesant is the best school in nyc, i went there and it was ****ing AWESOME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City