Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:42 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times

Advertisements

Oh. Sooooo you have a place free of charge in that area you're saying? Then yeah, jump on it. As long as it's not an apt in a freakin housing project, you'll be fine. And you'll be able to get wherever you need to go relatively easy via train.

When it comes to a car? They're great to have definitely. But parking in this city SUCKS. Massive headache (for the most part; depending where you are)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 57,473 times
I believe we will pick up most of the expenses, Im not quite sure yet what is going to happen, my husband is working that out w/his brother now .... but we will have our own mortgage back here still to do also, so yes its going to be hard to figure, but I think brother in law is working it out better than we are, lol....

do you think I will have to apply for a separate license to work up there?... I am going to ask my supervisor but I think I will need another one since I am a florida resident, well, I have to sign off for now, thank you again one and all, we are having not too bad weather here now, as I type, the screen door to the porch is open and I have the living room fan on, I hope the Northeastern storm has passed you all for now, I pray for your continued safety....maybe we shall meet soon perhaps, I am dying to visit the antique sections of the city also....any suggestions there too would be wonderful .....thanks once again to you all....

Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,792 times
If you have a place to live already, then go for it. Williamsburg (true williamsburg) has a manhattan-ish feel to it in my opinion, especially along Bedford. Just be aware that the cost of living is HIGH, especially in trendy areas like that. Rent is high, food is high, etc. If you're a nurse I would consider looking for employment in Manhattan, especially if you live by the L train. I work in a hospital in the East Village (there are several over there- Beth Israel, the VA, Eye and Ear, Bellevue, NYU Medical etc). It would be a super easy commute- the L train for one stop to 1st ave and then potentially the M15 up 1st ave depending on which location you're working at (wouldn't be more than 5-10 mins on the bus regardless) As far as colleges are concerned, check out Welcome to CUNY - The City University of New York. BMCC is a great community college in Manhattan. If you live in the city its pointless to stick to your own neighborhood, one of the best things about the city is to experience all it has to offer!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM

288 posts, read 566,726 times
so what about the area around cook st and graham ave? Any problems there?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
so what about the area around cook st and graham ave? Any problems there?
Well, you're one block from projects both east and west (at Humboldt St one block west and at Manhattan Ave one block east). The area is mostly Hispanic and is becoming somewhat gentrified by the same elements that have gentrified areas of Williamsburg further in, but is still in the early stages of gentrification. You're also not far from the Hasidic Jewish part of Williamsburg a few blocks west, and from the border with Bushwick, a poor and rundown neighborhood, to the southeast across Flushing Ave. You would have good subway access with the J and M just to your south at Flushing Ave. Graham Ave itself is a pretty lively and bustling commercial strip, mostly populated by low-end shops.

That's all I could tell you.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 PM

288 posts, read 566,726 times
thanks that's helpful! In terms of safety- coming home late at night? Would that be a problem?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
well lets start off....

williamsburg is one of the largest neighborhoods (land size and population) in brooklyn.
with that being said, the neighborhoods has many different characteristics and landscapes. ranging from million dollar condos to housing projects.
there are 3 parts of williamsburg, the northside, the southside, and east williamsburg. east williamsburg is NOT a term made up by real estate brokers. what happens is that the brokers pass off a bushwick apartment as being in east williamsburg.
Indeed, Williamsburg is pretty massive in size. I know this sounds nitpicky but there's a 4th and large section of Williamsburg (south of the Southside) - It's the heavily Hasidic section near Clymer Street/the Navy Yard. That section has bad MTA transportation and is 99.9 percent Hasidic Jews who create their own little networks for transportation. It's pretty much an invisible section of Williamsburg and I think the residents love it that way. I am a Northside kid (raised there 1975-1997, then again from 2000-2008, absent in 2005). My family never used the term East Williamsburg growing up. We called it "the part we know nothing about" since we rarely ventured east of Roebling. Going to Greenpoint was "far" for us. The main train station for Williamsburg is Bedford (L). Other stations include Lorimer (L), Graham (L) and Marcy (M, J, Z) and Hewes (M, J) and also Metropolitan (G) which is linked physically with Lorimer. The train with the most transfer connections was and still is the L, but today the M goes to Midtown Manhattan, which means better connections for it compared to yesteryear.

There are a few private medical clinics, but no hospital that I know of or remember.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
I refer to hasidic williamsburg as South Williamsburg. Is that incorrect?

As for transit, assuming you mean the subway, it depends how much you like to walk. My SIL lives in a relatively inconvenient spot (near Lee and Flushing) and I am no spring chicken and not in as good shape as I would like, but I find the Bway el a convenient way to Manhattan, when we are staying with her. Also, the hasidic area has expanded - there are now some living right next to the el.

There are also local city buses, notably the Nostrand avenue bus which runs down Lee.

The orthodox run buses dont so much substitute for MTA, as they go to places of particular interest to the Orthodox - express routes to Boro Park, Monsey, and Kiryas Joel (Monroe) notably.

If there is an Orthodox line to the employment centers in Manhattan, I am not aware of it.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I refer to hasidic williamsburg as South Williamsburg. Is that incorrect?
IDK; best to ask a resident of that section. We simply called it "the Hasidic section"

Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
My inlaws just call it "williamsburg". They tend to ignore the areas that are not hasidic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City