Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
How 'bout I call you Mista Wishy Washy.
What the hell???
Can I get a T shirt?
Buahaha. I already told all of you what I'm all about. I simply don't have a good general view on neighborhoods that are "all one type of person" with a few exceptions like the UES and Chinatown. Those are based on real reasons. Business for the UES and language for Chinatown. Northern Williamsburg OTOH does not need to be 99.9% "film" students (notice the quotation marks and read: hipster) and that's why I'm against willy nilly gentrification which is what happened there and in Greenwich Village years ago. So no, no one here can say and show proof that I'm wishy washy when I made my schtick clear boiling it down to 2 points which are:

I'm against:
1. Willy nilly full frontal gentrification (Note the parts in bue and red text. Translation: Anything-goes-Let-capitalism-decide unmonitored gentrification. It's baaaaaad. You know it, I know it and even some pro-gentrification people know it. Only fascists would embrace it.)

and

2. neighborhoods that are becoming "all one type of person" when there's no need for it, e.g., guarantored "film students" who look down on working class natives, blacks, Latinos, etc.

and, just for laughs, and because it's on record

3. "party people" (e.g. immature drunks)

So because I like Fox News but hate hipsters and gangsta thugs I'm wishy washy?! Gimme a break. The only label that fits me is native New Yorker, although I moved here at age 3 in diapers.

Last edited by grimace8; 01-04-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Honestly to me all i see in NY is rich and poor. To me its either your poor and live in the projects or you poor and you live in a brownstone that your parents use to live in and now you live in it. Then your rich and live in nice appartments, or Nice Victorian homes or even Mansions. Thats the way i see it. NY is half and half to me. Sadly i'm in the poor group like most New Yorkers.
True indeed, NYC is full of Halfs and Half nots. It all boils down to rich and poor which is bad. No middle class means no people to tax, You think the city is going ot tax the hell out of the rich or even wanna tax the poor. Middle class and sometimes the poor pay more taxes then the rich. I'd be surprise if the city goes through a major finicial crisis again like it did during the seventies. Im also in the Poor category myself. The only thing that is keeping my finicially sound is not having no kids or dating a chick with a kid thats not yours, and also living with my mom. Also payed my college tuition out of my pocket instead of using credit.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
"Anything-goes-Let-capitalism-decide unmonitored gentrification. It's baaaaaad. You know it, I know it and even some pro-gentrification people know it. Only fascists would embrace it.)"

Aside - I know about fascists. Fascists killed my great grandpa outside his shtetl in Poland in 1942. Even the most extreme free marketeers are not fascists. Distinctions are important.

that said - I think letting markets decide the highest and best use for urban land, with appropriate zoning to seperate types of use and put density where infrastructure can support it) has a great deal going for it - believing that is not inconsistent with supporting say, progressive income taxes, or universal health care.

Even if one acknowldeges subtle market failures - an externality value to diversity, say. It seems that most policy levers to address that have either not done so very well, or have done so at considerable cost, sometimes financial, sometimes societal.

I am sympathetic to reasoned attempts to do things with mixed income developments. I am skeptical when I hear intense resentment of upper middle class new comers, when I hear claims that the rich in NY pay no taxes, when I hear concerns about the middle class labor force that ignore the suburban housing stock, etc.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I'm against willy nilly gentrification which is what happened there and in Greenwich Village years ago.
the first "hipsters" arrived in Greenwich village around 1910, John Reed and his friends. Its been undergoing gentrification ever since. What period did you have in mind?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Even the most extreme free marketeers are not fascists.
A person can admire everything about Hitler for example (maybe even set up a shrine to him) while never physically touching a gun or other weapon. In my book, that person would still be a fascist. Sorry to hear fascists killed your ancestor.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
True indeed, NYC is full of Halfs and Half nots. It all boils down to rich and poor which is bad. No middle class means no people to tax, You think the city is going ot tax the hell out of the rich or even wanna tax the poor. Middle class and sometimes the poor pay more taxes then the rich. I'd be surprise if the city goes through a major finicial crisis again like it did during the seventies. Im also in the Poor category myself. The only thing that is keeping my finicially sound is not having no kids or dating a chick with a kid thats not yours, and also living with my mom. Also payed my college tuition out of my pocket instead of using credit.
Hahaha! Honestly if it wasn't for may man Jay letting me live with him in Clinton Hill i'd either be living in The Projects or living with my mom back at home in flatlands. Trying to make a living in NY is MAD HARD, and as a young man from the hood, and still living in the hood, its hard. I use to sell weed and dope a few years back to make a little more money on the side, but discountined due to not wanting my mother and little brothers knowing what i was doing. Honestly you really can't talk about the living situations, or making it in NY untill you've actually grown up here. Statistics aint spit to me.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the first "hipsters" arrived in Greenwich village around 1910, John Reed and his friends. Its been undergoing gentrification ever since. What period did you have in mind?
Uh, none of that's relevant to my current views on artists and gentrifyers and gentrification. Recent gentrification, in my book, is like a bell curve. Really cool artists with awesome originality and a pioneering spirit at the bottom left slope of the curve, progressively getting safer and blander as they inch closer to the top of the curve (as far as producing significant art and changing the world for the better). Enter the early wave of gents-- Mind you, we're still on the left side of the curve but practically near the toppy top. More waves of gents. Enter the fauxhemians --Mind you, we're now on the right-hand slope of the curve--and fauxhemians are always on the right-hand slope of this bell curve (behind the curve. how apropos for them). More waves of gents fill the right side --The ones closer to the middle and bottom are less knowledgable about the early artists on the left side of the curve. And of course the fauxhemians infest the right-side of the slope from top to bottom. Notice I say fauxhemians because I think the word "hipster" becomes a bit of a misnomer when people inadvertently or willfully throw a wrench into the convo by mentioning people like Ginsberg, Kerouac, etc. That's why I told the OP that I don't really blame the later waves of gentrifiers. I think my exact words were you can't ruin something that's already ruined. They're sorta innocent if they're near the bottom right slope of this bell curve example. What NYC needs to do is not let this happen again. That's why there was a thinktank held last September on how to keep the legit, non-faux, working/productive artists here. Y'know, the ones who work and support themselves instead of drinking PBR and making a$$es of themselves every night.

Last edited by grimace8; 01-04-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM

157 posts, read 394,858 times
"If people get displaced so be it, that's capitalism. That's the way it works. Survival of the fittest, no? It's always been this way. Get with it or get out."-Realtalk

You should try to "imagine" like John Lennon did.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Let's pull the topic back to gentrification in NYC, as in the five boroughs. Facism, capitalism, teen pregnancy, urban planning not related to NYC, etc. are all topics for other forums/threads.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post

I'm against:
1. Willy nilly full frontal gentrification (Note the parts in bue and red text. Translation: Anything-goes-Let-capitalism-decide unmonitored gentrification. It's baaaaaad. You know it, I know it and even some pro-gentrification people know it. Only fascists would embrace it.)
People should live wherever they darn well please. Landlords should rent to whoever they darn well please. If that means Harlem turns white, Bensonhurst goes Black and the South Bronx becomes millionaires row then so be it. Change is what keeps NYC exciting.

If you knew what fascism was, you know this isn't it. How about I say you're a Communist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City