Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 38,589 times

Advertisements

My sister is travelling aroung America and her next stop is new york, she is on a budget but plans to stay in new york for a year. he has an accomomodation opportunity in Alexander ave near e138th st the bronx. Im a little concerned as although lots of people say the bronx has changed for the better im not so sure and would appeciate it if you could tell me if this area is safe or not, thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowwings View Post
My sister is travelling aroung America and her next stop is new york, she is on a budget but plans to stay in new york for a year. he has an accomomodation opportunity in Alexander ave near e138th st the bronx. Im a little concerned as although lots of people say the bronx has changed for the better im not so sure and would appeciate it if you could tell me if this area is safe or not, thankyou
no, it is not a safe area, have her break her budget and find a better place to stay, she'd be safer sleeping in Penn Station

Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 PM

314 posts, read 492,778 times
^i can count the number of times on one hand that i have agreed with kort. but, this is one. lil' sis is going to a warzone. i'll never understand people visiting the single most expensive city in the U.S. who come here 'on a tight budget' or 'without a lot to really spend.' what exactly do you think you're gonna be able to do here? restaurants are expensive; bars are expensive; clubs are expensive. maybe walking around times square, union square, central park, and the village and eating a slice for lunch and dinner is exiting for some people. but, if it isn't, why don't you people save your change until you can afford to actually do some stuff here and then come?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM

Ive been told by some people that the bronx is up and coming, not a war zone, I thought that nyc is now the safest city in the us. Surley you must be exagerating a little? What could go wrong and what precautions should she take in this neighborhood? You have me a little worried here.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Ive been told by some people that the bronx is up and coming, not a war zone, I thought that nyc is now the safest city in the us. Surley you must be exagerating a little? What could go wrong and what precautions should she take in this neighborhood? You have me a little worried here.
what you've been told is wrong, we know a bit more than whomever is feeding you the bad info, we live or lived there has can your source say the same thing? The news media that touts the NYC is so safe is full of it, if you learn anything from this is 1. never trust the media to tell the truth and 2. listen to advice from people who know what they're talking about.

if you don't want to heed our advice how about making me the beneficiary on a life insurance policy, pm me with your info and I'll pay the premium

Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM

ok thanks for the advice! Is this area at least one of the better areas of the bronx? What type of stuff goes on there and what precautions should she take if she does move there?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
ok thanks for the advice! Is this area at least one of the better areas of the bronx? What type of stuff goes on there and what precautions should she take if she does move there?
from your perspective it would be like visiting another planet, maybe our local cop can give you some anecdotes. All I can say is that I lived near there 40 years ago, it was a bad place then and it hasn't gotten any better. Have her forget any idea of even visiting the place, it is a nasty dangerous place especially for what appears to be a very naive person who lacks even a drop of street smarts

Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM

110 posts, read 496,600 times
I agree that isn't the best part to move to I lived there and grew up there until I got married I was from Morris Park and white plains area Upper morris park is still pretty good around Neil, Tomlinson, etc If she needs to move to the Bronx, check out these instead of her original plans Hoped this helpd

Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM

81 posts, read 615,749 times
I live in the Bronx now and I can tell you that I would never live or even visit that area. This is coming from someone that was born and raised in the Bronx. I used to live in the Wakefield section then I moved to Long Island for several years. When I came back, I settled on the Morris Park section to cut my commute time to the city. This is a great area and a world of difference from other parts. If your sister can afford it, I would say Morris Park, Throggs Neck, and Riverdale are the areas you'd want to be in. However, rents are very high in these areas.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,141 times
Quote:
what you've been told is wrong,
No, what've you been told is right. Lots of The Bronx now is better than it was five years ago. And ten years ago. People who tell you the Bronx isn't up and coming are the people who never leave Mott Haven.

Quote:
your sister can afford it, I would say Morris Park, Throggs Neck, and Riverdale are the areas you'd want to be in. However, rents are very high in these areas.
Add City Island, Country Club, Northern tip of Kingsbridge Heights, and Woodlawn to that list. The best thing about these neighborhoods is that rent is less than in the neighborhoods you listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City