Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Exactly.

To the OP- why do you think you should make as much money as those of us that invested years of our lives and in some cases a lot of money into education when you did not?

... there's a chance the person without a formal education and investment, is still more educated and intelligent than those with such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM

769 posts, read 2,054,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
... there's a chance the person without a formal education and investment, is still more educated and intelligent than those with such.
Possible but not common. I guess it all depends on the person, what education they got, etc. I do know some college grads that aren't very smart. But you know what- the uneducated person that is very intelligent will generally have less chances in life to succeed in a good career or show someone what they are capable of than a college grad.

No one would ever be in my position or even be considered for it without a degree regardless of how smart they are or what experience they have. Then again they probably wouldn't have the experience required for the position either if they did not have a degree.

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with intelligence, it has everything to do with making sacrifices to end up with that well-paying job you've always wanted. Many professional high-paying jobs require knowledge and skills that you can't just pick up from a friend or by watching someone- that is why employers require college degrees. I can't honestly say that everything I've been taught in school applies to my job or that all of it was useful, but I can say that there's no way I'd be able to do my job without taking many of the courses I took throughout my undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You would be incorrect in that assumption.
Then I really give you a lot of credit, working your way through school and debt free! You should take pride in that. Way too many kids today sadly don't comprehend the importance of a good education. Even those that are fortunate enough to get that education on their parents dime sometimes choose to cruise through the liberal arts or have visions of becoming the next top fashion designer. Both careers are admirable in their own right but are so competitive, it's tough. I agree with you, there is no substitute for hard word and a good education.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Then I really give you a lot of credit, working your way through school and debt free! You should take pride in that. Way too many kids today sadly don't comprehend the importance of a good education. Even those that are fortunate enough to get that education on their parents dime sometimes choose to cruise through the liberal arts or have visions of becoming the next top fashion designer. Both careers are admirable in their own right but are so competitive, it's tough. I agree with you, there is no substitute for hard word and a good education.
Is there something wrong with pursuing a degree in the arts or liberal arts? I graduated from an art school and I'm happy in my field, unlike some of my other friends who sacrificed happiness to have a so-called "safe" job.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,054,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Is there something wrong with pursuing a degree in the arts or liberal arts? I graduated from an art school and I'm happy in my field, unlike some of my other friends who sacrificed happiness to have a so-called "safe" job.
How do you know they sacrificed happiness? Many people assume that college students only study finance because they want to make money. Some of us actually like it. Same goes for friends I have that are doctors, attorneys, etc. They chose career paths with strong job prospects and good salaries, but they also enjoy what they do.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Nothing at all Doobage, as I said in my post, very competitive fields. If your happy that's all that matters. You followed your heart and you support yourself in that career. Now, if you were on some kind of program at taxpayers expense because you were struggling in that chosen field then we'd be having a different discussion here, but you're not. Any man or woman with enough work ethic to support themselves gets my respect. Keep up the good work!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
How do you know they sacrificed happiness? Many people assume that college students only study finance because they want to make money. Some of us actually like it. Same goes for friends I have that are doctors, attorneys, etc. They chose career paths with strong job prospects and good salaries, but they also enjoy what they do.
^^^^ All that too with rep! Don't take offense to doobage, the "artsy" types tend to be a bit sensitive.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM

468 posts, read 1,340,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Pretty much. I went to school and worked really hard and invested in education and I make a good salary. I would be sad to know any person who a HS diploma could have the same level job I have.
I know a few native NYers with only a HS diploma that pay 1/10 of the rent that you do.

I would be sad to know any person from Ohio that moved to NYC wayyyyyyyyy back in 2004 that pay the same amount in rent that they do.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
No one would ever be in my position or even be considered for it without a degree regardless of how smart they are or what experience they have. Then again they probably wouldn't have the experience required for the position either if they did not have a degree.

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with intelligence, it has everything to do with making sacrifices to end up with that well-paying job you've always wanted. Many professional high-paying jobs require knowledge and skills that you can't just pick up from a friend or by watching someone- that is why employers require college degrees. I can't honestly say that everything I've been taught in school applies to my job or that all of it was useful, but I can say that there's no way I'd be able to do my job without taking many of the courses I took throughout my undergraduate and graduate degrees.
That may be your school of thought, but it's bogus- and likely quite dated.
Today's average college grad is making at most 6% more than his non-college grad peer.

There's hundreds, likely thousands of people who lie on resumes stating they have a degree, or have bogus degrees issued who take jobs on and excel at them. Many are likely awful, I suppose all of them are liars- but it is what it is.

The majority of the richest people in the world became that way prior to 4 years of education, many were born that way.

Plenty of high profile jobs made no sacrifices, and had family connections to work.

"Bootstraps Mentality" won't work when the odds are stacked against you.

Waiters, Real Estate Agents, Bartenders, Hookers, Day Traders, Painters, Garbage Men, Thieves, Musicians, live in this city and make 6 figure salaries without a day of college.

Plenty of college grads work for under 40K a year.

There's far far far more to it than proof of formal education.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,172,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And tolerance...they want to virtually own you for a 20% tip...and bending over backwards just isn't enough...you have to do a full inverted 360 degree twist.
Lol! Ahh..so true..but so do most bosses who are paying you around the same amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City