Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,312,016 times

Advertisements

In New York there people with degrees and then there are people with degrees. Having a piece of paper in the abstract is no guarantee of success. It's the school that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,172,050 times
I'm amazed at the ignorance on this board. I agree with the comment about egos. Seems like many need to stroke theirs. For the record, I'm a college graduate, so I don't know who some of you think you're putting down. Don't try to toot your horn with me lol. I'm not impressed. Just because I was quick to point out that I know tons of people who make good money without a degree doesn't mean I don't have a degree myself. Take the time to read the actual thread before you ramble off about irrelevant crap.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,363,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I'm amazed at the ignorance on this board. I agree with the comment about egos. Seems like many need to stroke theirs. For the record, I'm a college graduate, so I don't know who some of you think you're putting down. Don't try to toot your horn with me lol. I'm not impressed. Just because I was quick to point out that I know tons of people who make good money without a degree doesn't mean I don't have a degree myself. Take the time to read the actual thread before you ramble off about irrelevant crap.

Yes, but you're a college grad who - I presume- is looking to change careers and not work in the nursing field that your degree is in.

If you want to make a career change into a lucrative field, some additional education may be necessary.

I am 10 years into my field of work, making six figures. However, if I were decide tomorrow to quit and become an accountant or nurse or engineer....I have zero experience or education relevant to those fields (except for Accounting 101 and Bio 101 and Calculus, from my senior year in high school....you get the idea). So, NO- I wouldn't be qualified to interview for those positions, much less transfer over my high-flying salary, without a second BA/BS/BBA or taking a ton of Pre-requisite classes and applying to an Accounting master's program or something.

Sometime you really can't get from point A to point B without furthering your education. Sales really is the ONLY way a significant amount of non-degrees people make $$$$. Part of it is personality and part is sheer instinct- those skills can't be taught, although polishing a pitch & close can be. Everyone has a friend or friend of friend who has struck it rich and didn't complete college or changed careers, but those people generally had a revolutionary idea and ran with it (like the school teacher who invented Airborne) and are basically pre-wired for entrepreneurship. What's your big idea? Have the vision to see it and grow it?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what the recruiters think. They won't agree with you.
That's what you think

Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, but you're a college grad who - I presume- is looking to change careers and not work in the nursing field that your degree is in.

If you want to make a career change into a lucrative field, some additional education may be necessary.

I am 10 years into my field of work, making six figures. However, if I were decide tomorrow to quit and become an accountant or nurse or engineer....I have zero experience or education relevant to those fields (except for Accounting 101 and Bio 101 and Calculus, from my senior year in high school....you get the idea). So, NO- I wouldn't be qualified to interview for those positions, much less transfer over my high-flying salary, without a second BA/BS/BBA or taking a ton of Pre-requisite classes and applying to an Accounting master's program or something.

Sometime you really can't get from point A to point B without furthering your education. Sales really is the ONLY way a significant amount of non-degrees people make $$$$. Part of it is personality and part is sheer instinct- those skills can't be taught, although polishing a pitch & close can be. Everyone has a friend or friend of friend who has struck it rich and didn't complete college or changed careers, but those people generally had a revolutionary idea and ran with it (like the school teacher who invented Airborne) and are basically pre-wired for entrepreneurship. What's your big idea? Have the vision to see it and grow it?
You're right about sales. Most of my friends making great money are in some type of sales or running their own small businesses because they were smart enough to invest on the right thing.

And yes, I don't want to stay in nursing. It's a joke. Everyone knows we're modern day slaves lol.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 848 times
Where can I apply for a telemarketing job? The sites all give you run arounda

Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,727,183 times
If you do what you love and you're happy it doesn't matter what you pick. There's some trade skills that make good money: electrician, car mechanic, carpenter, etc. No college degree required. So no, you don't need a degree for "everything".

At the same time it's childish to think that degree requirements are akin to intellectual snobbery, as is the presumption that all college grads are up to their eyeballs in debt because their starting wage sucks. Pick the wrong major with unrealistic expectations, and there will be DIRE financial consequences. Pick the right one leading to a career with higher wages and your outcome may be very different.

A lot of people go to college thinking any degree is a good degree, so they pick an easy major to get it over with painlessly. Whoever feeds high school students that BS should be dragged into the street and shot. Easy BS majors are a great way to make yourself a dime-a-dozen doomed to low wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City