Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseafarer View Post
Wow, I live in that area and it looks *nothing* like Fordham. One side of the street has three pre-war apartment buildings and the other side is Manhattan College, a really nice, well-maintained private school. You walk one block west you're in mega-bucks, single-family home neighborhoods. You walk one block east you're in Van Cortlandt Park. How is this anything like the concrete jungle of Fordham? True, if you walk down Broadway into Kingsbridge it gets gritty and is quickly an endless sequence of $1 stores, but Kingsbridge is a far cry from Riverdale.
Is Kingsbridge Heights part of Riverdale. I remember when I was going apt hunting with my gf the areas we thought were Kingsbridge Heights we were told by the broker it was Riverdale and we were told there is only Kingsbridge or Riverdale. So what is the story with Kingsbridge Heights? What are its borders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Is Kingsbridge Heights part of Riverdale. I remember when I was going apt hunting with my gf the areas we thought were Kingsbridge Heights we were told by the broker it was Riverdale and we were told there is only Kingsbridge or Riverdale. So what is the story with Kingsbridge Heights? What are its borders?
Prbably betweem baily and broadway.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Fred it sounds like a strange statement but I think there is something to be said about it. When I say I live in the Bronx, there is always a look I get, not necessarily negative, but "oh I didn't think you lived there" kinda look. For example, ask someone in Riverdale where they live..100% of the time they say Riverdale, and NEVER "the Bronx." Why is that? I usually correct them and say "oh the Bronx", to which they cringe, and come clean but then add "yes, but it's not really the Bronx, wink wink."

So there are some questions when people, at least at mid-higher levels in their careers, say they live in "the Bronx." And as a result of these experiences, I wonder whether my Bronx address on my resume may elminate me for possible jobs, as people make quick judgements based on address even.
Thats very true^.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Kingsbridge/Kingsbridge Heights are not part of Riverdale.The Eastern boundary of Riverdale/Western boundary of Kingsbridge is Irwin Ave and Riverdale Ave.The Western Boundary of Kingsbridge is The Major Deegan.To the East of the Major Deegan is Kingsbridge Heights and Van Cortlandt Village.

Kingsbridge Heights boundaries are Major Deegan(West),Van Cortlandt Park (North),The Reservoir(East) and Kingsbridge Road( South).Van Cortlandt Village is a subsection of Kingsbridge Heights around the top of the reservoir,between Bailey and The Reservoir and Mosholu Parkway at the very top part.

Kingsbridge actually lies between Riverdale and Kingsbridge Heights.Some people mistakenly think it's the other way around.

You know you are in Riverdale when you start going uphill steeply either on Riverdale Ave or up one of the stairways.Along and off of Broadway,Kingsbridge Ave, Corlear and Tibbett Avenues from 230th St to Van Cortlandt Park is Kingsbridge.

If you have gone up the steps you are in Riverdale..

Real Estate brokers love to fudge neighborhood boundaries when they can.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-23-2011 at 05:39 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
As a rule of thumb I would ignore 90% of what Brokers tell you, and the remaining 10% is suspect at best. If it were up to Brokers the Bronx would be renamed Riverdale.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,189 times
Seems folks still have that "Fort Apache The Bronx" mentality still going on.

If folks actually went uptown they would see The Bronx is actually a nice place.

Yeah there are some shady areas but every borough has them.

I was raised in the BX from my childhood days at 3808 Third Avenue to Clay Avenue & 171st St, Tiebout Ave, & 183rd, DeKalb Ave off Gunhill and 198th & The Grand Concourse which was my last know BX address.

All three of my children were born in the BX. Jacobi and North Central.

Hell, I still go to my doctor in the BX and Montefiore is my hospital.

I will always be and consider myself a BX girl no matter where I live.

Basically I hate when folks talk negative about the BX, but the I realize most folks can relate to the negative quicker than the positive.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
I thought Staten Island was the most hated New York boro. Is definitely the most different of the 5 boros.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
The Bronx has its problems, no doubt.

But it is over 25% parkland with sports facilities, woods, botanical gardens, one of the best zoos in the country, lots of coast, views of the Palisades, etc.

While it may have more of its share of urban blight, it is also, in places, the most scenic part of the city.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 PM

67 posts, read 92,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
And there are MANY well educated who DO live in the poor areas and don't commit crimes either. And most Hispanics from the Bronx are working class people... who still live in those areas.
Correct, the desirable working people that are not ghetto and don't contribute to the community's ills will be spared.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
What do you think about young men in the Bronx that are on welfare, food stamps etc, but are not criminal and violent and have pretty much given up the hope of finding a decent job. Will they be spared?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City