Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM

156 posts, read 335,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
cant wait, I am just living to die.....

at least it is something that I, living here in one of the outer boroughs have to look forward too!!
and it still goes without saying, never heard it before, except for here and you... I mean really who says that. Lame ones do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
and it still goes without saying, never heard it before, except for here and you... I mean really who says that. Lame ones do.
Every major new source in NYC uses this term. Some of these news source specialize in local news. In fact, there are several that probably wouldn't have any readership at all if it weren't for the people looking for nyc-centric news.

So it sounds like you have been living under a rock... which is lame!

NY Post
"outer boroughs" site:nypost.com - Google Search

NY Daily News
"outer boroughs" site:nydailynews.com - Google Search

AM New York
"outer boroughs" site:amny.com - Google Search

CBS New York
"outer boroughs" site:newyork.cbslocal.com/ - Google Search

NY Times
"outer boroughs" site:nytimes.com - Google Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM

so do you say you are in the boro if in Manhattan or the inner boro if all others are outers? They are all boros to me.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
I've never heard any native New Yorker say I live in the outer borough. If I hear someone use that then it's red flag that they probably are transplant. Exception would be some old timer saying that. In that case I may think that's how it was referred before my parents and my generation (I'm 32).

Anyhoo. In my opinion since at least since the 90s. The outer boroughs were terminology that's used mainly in news or some documentation to refer to literally "outer boroughs" so they don't have to name all the outer boroughs.

But to answer OP's question, yeah Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and State Island are the outer boroughs. But not used in way like I live in outer borough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Nobody would say "I live in an outer borough," unless they are deliberately trying to evade a question as to where they live. People would say something like "I live in <insert borough name or neighborhood name>" just as a Manhattanite may say "I live in Manhattan," or "I live on the Upper West Side."
QTF

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I've never heard any native New Yorker say I live in the outer borough. If I hear someone use that then it's red flag that they probably are transplant. Exception would be some old timer saying that. In that case I may think that's how it was referred before my parents and my generation (I'm 32).
Almost no one would say "I live in an outer borough." That's not what's being discussed here. Please re-read the thread.

Quote:
The outer boroughs were terminology that's used mainly in news or some documentation to refer to literally "outer boroughs" so they don't have to name all the outer boroughs.
Exactly, that's how people are using it here too. It can be used, for example, to suggest to someone that they not live in Manhattan because it's too expensive, but rather, they should look in Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn or Staten Island. It's significantly easier to type and gets to the point AND it is already in use by all the major news publications so obviously it's an acceptable phrase. The local publications would not use it if it were somehow foreign or unacceptable or annoying to local people (the majority of their readership).

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Almost no one would say "I live in an outer borough." That's not what's being discussed here. Please re-read the thread.

Exactly, that's how people are using it here too. It can be used, for example, to suggest to someone that they not live in Manhattan because it's too expensive, but rather, they should look in Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn or Staten Island. It's significantly easier to type and gets to the point AND it is already in use by all the major news publications so obviously it's an acceptable phrase. The local publications would not use it if it were somehow foreign or unacceptable or annoying to local people (the majority of their readership).

I think it is used when all of the boroughs need to be named, instead of saying...Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island, it is easier to just say the outer boroughs.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
so do you say you are in the boro if in Manhattan or the inner boro if all others are outers? They are all boros to me.

I am getting a MIGRANE from this!!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Not most, only the western portion closest to upper Manhattan. But it was not a borough in its own right at the time. And Manhattan definitely held it at arm's length with that designation of "Annexed District."
I dont see how thats the case considering that portion of the bronx, was considered to be a part of "new york" county

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Ok got it...but people on cdata over uses the term. Like seriously

Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am getting a MIGRANE from this!!
smoke somethin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City