Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times

Advertisements

I have never called Bronx/brooklyn or queens "outer borough" Manhattan is a outer borough to me. Just my opinion. STaten Island is a outer borough too. And Coney Island is a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 AM

156 posts, read 335,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Do you know any that read?

As Henna has referenced for your edification, the term is one used mostly in written form.

Seldomly is it used orally, and when it is, most commonly today, its used to connotate 'that' other than Manhattan. Sometimes, in the deragotory, meaning 'less' than Manhattan.

Obviously, its the last paragrah usage which urks you. You don't like the implied put down, so now you want to change the world.

Newsflash, the fact that the term is not a part of your life world, and that you don't know any who uses it, nor, incredibly that you haven't read the term before doing so at city-data, is more a testament to the defficiencies of your life, rather than the ill use of the term.

Sorry, I've been reading the term since I was a kid.

Its also sad, that so many are so ignorant of the place they were born and/or live. Gosh, public schools suck!

yes i read that is why i started this.
second learn how to spell deficiences before you throw insults.
I guess your parents should have saved their money cause you got a bum education urself it seems.
what urks me is how people over use that term... let it go and say the name.
[SIZE=3]it takes more time and letters to write outer boroughs than Qns, BX, BK, SI...

[/SIZE]

Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
I grew up in and around NYC and have lived here my entire life. If you've never heard the term outer boroughs, you live under a rock.

It's not really that insulting. Manhattan is the city's economic core, like it or not. The other 4 boroughs are outside of that. Outer boroughs.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 AM

177 posts, read 416,232 times
wow this thread has become so hostile, ..what the heck??

Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 PM

156 posts, read 335,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I grew up in and around NYC and have lived here my entire life. If you've never heard the term outer boroughs, you live under a rock.

It's not really that insulting. Manhattan is the city's economic core, like it or not. The other 4 boroughs are outside of that. Outer boroughs.
which is it... you lived here your entire life or you grew up around NYC...

Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
which is it... you lived here your entire life or you grew up around NYC...
Same thing i was thinking lol

Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Manhattan is more or less the core of the City, and while everything else is still considered the City, it sits outside of the main borough. Hence, the term "outer boros". I hear the term quite frequently in the media. I just say Queens to refer to my own location.

Also, in a geographic sense, Brooklyn can be considered an inner boro along with Manhattan--it is the most centrally located of the boroughs and is connected to all of them, except the Bronx.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:

yeah this post sums it up perfectly.

I agree with you also, I don't know what part of this people are not getting, it really is quite simple.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:

I get this, I know what you mean.
I don't need clarification.

we have a lot of slow people here on this thread.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I get this, I know what you mean.
I don't need clarification.

we have a lot of slow people here on this thread.
Nobody is slow here. If you grew up in, lets say new jersey or connecticut, all your life i dont expect you to understand or see where people from the boros are coming from. That simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City