Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:39 PM

215 posts, read 519,671 times

Advertisements

Well, New York City vacancy rate is below 1 percent, rents are on the rise.
Despite all those people leaving, there is definitely no shortage of wannabe New Yorkers.

Upstate is another story completely, there is not much to do there for a young person if one is not in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Agree that this article, and the poll its based, on don't really say much about NYC., i.e. this quote:

"The New York City suburbs, with their high property values and taxes, are leading the exodus, the poll found."

Young suburbanites taking jobs in cities with cheaper COL isn't exactly news, since the 'burbs often can't or won't make it easy to build rental housing. And that is a shame. But upstate has been a basket case, economically speaking, for years. Nothing new there.

NYC is less of a hot spot for young people w/o a higher education for sure becuase middle-class paying blue-collar jobs just aren't around as much, but that's an old story too.

But I'd bet the allure of the city for college grads is still there, and will be so even more as the economy revs up. Remeber, durung recessions, fewer people migrate in. But in general unemployment rates for anyone with a college degree is a lot lower and always has been.

Someone once gave me all sorts of reasons for high housing prices in Manhattan, including rent control, the cost of land, labor union corruption, blah, blah, blah.

None of the above: Housing costs so much because of the demand. People still want to be here, and if they didn't you wouldn't see the types of housing prices you do now.

And as for that screaming lady with the kid, anybody who's ever raised one knows that no matter how much you love 'em, there's always a day when you just want to leave those suckers out in the middle of traffic somewhere, walk away, and never come back. Perhaps this was the day for that lady!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
I hope you guys are not saying the state and the city are two seperate entities. THe article said state, that could mean anyone from any of the state counties like sullivan, rockland, including bronx, staten island, Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan here downstate.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
If the article were about NYC, it would have been explicitly in the title or even the article..but it was in none of those. The article was talking about everywhere in New York State BESIDES NYC. Reading comprehension!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
So, NYC has nothing to do with New York State? Young people pass through NYC and come and go like the wind, but the fact that they are not putting down roots, buying homes, and starting families here is quite disturbing, don't you think?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
So, NYC has nothing to do with New York State? Young people pass through NYC and come and go like the wind, but the fact that they are not putting down roots, buying homes, and starting families here is quite disturbing, don't you think?
I agree its disturbing! Reps for you.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Here is the actual poll http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-cont...d%20Tables.pdf

It's a pdf so don't click if you don't want to download it.

Sample size was 941, of that sample, 23% were under 30. So all these conclusions it's drawing about those under 30 are based on replies of 216 people.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Very true, the fact that most transplants who come here have no long term vision, while people who would've otherwised stayed here long term are forced to leave says alot. The article you posted stated that the majority of the people who leave, leave beacause of the cost of living not because of the city itself. On top of that over a third of College graduates who are from here are leaving because of that reason.

I read a study in Center for Urban Future that stated that most of the people who leave cited that they "do not wish to leave but have no other choice." If people were leaving because city life is not for them, or because they want to be in a warmer climate, fine. But when people are leaving solely based on the cost of living and not their preference of lifestyle that is a problem. Even though we are not seeing a population decline as of yet and low vacancies, don't underestimate the trends found in these studies, this issue seriously needs to be addressed. I don't want to leave this city, I love it here and I always defend it, but if I leave it is because economic situations would force me to.

YouTube - New Yorkers are leaving the city because of cost of living!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
In the suburbs, the price of the unfunded pension liabilities with the unions, mandated entitlements to illegal aliens are pushing property taxes beyond the pale. A tiny little starter home brings with it a massive property tax bill every month. Who can afford to buy a home and god forbid have kids with these massive liabilities tied around your neck? In the city, rent control diminishes the housing stock for the young and drives up rent. All these factors are only getting worse and there comes a point where the young give up.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM

215 posts, read 519,671 times
Off course young people come and go. No one is forced to stay in the same place for their whole life nowadays. That said, there are a lot of families in New York where I live. To raise a family here you need a lot of money, so only those who can make it stay here. Other people move on, but there is no shortage of fresh graduates, immigrants etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City