Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM

420 posts, read 805,181 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 30s and moving back to NYC. Looking at living in Murray Hill or SoHo. Lived in Murray Hill when I was a student and loved it. Now considering moving to either Murray Hill or SoHo. Would like to see what others think of Murray Hill vs. SoHo and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM

979 posts, read 4,457,300 times
apples and oranges.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I work in Murray Hill and hate it. I find it inconvenient in ways, and I just don't like the people up here, when I worked downtown I found everyone to be much friendlier. I do like Soho, I guess I am just more of a downtown girl.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I'm in my early 30s and moving back to NYC. Looking at living in Murray Hill or SoHo. Lived in Murray Hill when I was a student and loved it. Now considering moving to either Murray Hill or SoHo. Would like to see what others think of Murray Hill vs. SoHo and why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I work in Murray Hill and hate it. I find it inconvenient in ways, and I just don't like the people up here, when I worked downtown I found everyone to be much friendlier. I do like Soho, I guess I am just more of a downtown girl.
Murray Hill is too congested with tourist and office workers. Soho is also congested with tourists, shoppers and few office workers (super-expensive from what I heard). Have you considered Battery park or UWS?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Murray Hill is full of thirty-somethings who moved there when they were in college or right after graduating, so if you're looking to recreate college in the city, I suppose it's where you'd want to be.

SoHo is obscenely expensive and also jam-packed with tourists (a lot more than Murray Hill, which I don't find to be particularly busy).

Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Murray Hill is one of the most boring neighborhoods in Manhattan.Downtown is much better .

Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Murray Hill you can get a bit more space for money. But Soho is well soho. You can live on a less touristy street in Soho and be near all kinds of cafes and shoppings. Or you can live in Murray Hill and be near...the empire state building?

I am wondering how you came to these two neighborhoods. They are not near each other or in the same price range really. Maybe you would also like to look at Gramercy and Greenwich Village?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
SOHO is SO yesterday . Once upon a time it was vibrant with the art scene, now it's just Times Square with higher prices.

I'd choose Murray Hill in a heartbeat, yes, a bit dull and quiet. If I want overpriced boutiques, bad retail art, and touristas I could always take a train down to SOHO...and get away when I have had my quick fill.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 AM

420 posts, read 805,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I am wondering how you came to these two neighborhoods. They are not near each other or in the same price range really. Maybe you would also like to look at Gramercy and Greenwich Village?

Spent lots of time in Murray Hill as a student. Loved it. Always assumed I would move back there if I ever moved back to NYC. Figured I'd get a nice apartment on Park Avenue. Most of my friends are are mentioning that I should move to the West Village of Soho. Their reasoning is that the West Village and SoHo are "cooler", which I think is a funny reason to move to a certain neighborhood. Never liked the West Village as a place to live (too liberal for my taste) and haven't spent enough time in SoHo to get a feel for it so I was curious what others thought.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
SOHO is SO yesterday . Once upon a time it was vibrant with the art scene, now it's just Times Square with higher prices.

I'd choose Murray Hill in a heartbeat, yes, a bit dull and quiet. If I want overpriced boutiques, bad retail art, and touristas I could always take a train down to SOHO...and get away when I have had my quick fill.
I agree that Soho used to be way cooler. Now it's basically an overpriced shopping mall. I would rather go to my local mall than walk around Soho. I used to walk through Soho to the East Village all the time in my teens and early 20s. (remember "Canal Jeans"? - that was one of my favorites).

Now it's just a touristy smelly dump like most of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City