Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:31 PM

11 posts, read 359,071 times

Advertisements

I've just completed undergrad in Northern CA and I want to try out NY for awhile.
I know I can't afford living in Manhattan and someone even told me that Harlem was not safe.
I hear that Brooklyn is a pretty cool place to live; i just need to learn about neighborhoods and safe areas.
Okay, so I'm a 23 year old African American Female, single, no kids, just my dog.
I'm currently not employed and yes, I'm aware it's wise to line up employment first before moving.
Being that I'm single and have no family or friends in NY, I obviously want to live in an area that's safe where I can walk to the store or walk my dog without being terrified. (It doesn't have to be perfect...I went to Berkeley, yet lived in Oakland, soooo I'm not that uptight!)
I think no more than 1k for an apartment (1bd or single) is the highest I can go as far as rent.
I need advice on which neighborhoods in Brooklyn are pretty safe...
Is 5k enough to move? Meaning, 5k before I pay first and security for example...
Anything else I should know please let me know! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:23 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
For approx. $1000 a month you could rent a large studio apt. in Rego Park, Queens which is considered a good neighborhood including good transportation, restaurants & shopping.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM

337 posts, read 969,241 times
Why do you feel the need to live in ny? Because its cool? Grow up. the city is overrun with your types. You will be very lonely and regret moving here within 6 months.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 AM

@ el77: why do i feel the need to move to new york? Because i want to and can. Point. Blank. Period. Why do you feel the need to comment on my post if you have no useful advice? Your entire post is actually funny how you assume you know so much about me. Lol! Please, be gone.

@chava61: thanks!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
I would advise more money, at least 10K. Jobs are scarce here. You will probably have to leave the dog behind. What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,360,443 times
You're not going to be able to rent without a job. UNLESS you can prove you have other income. Landlords want to make sure you can pay the rent.

I suggest you come to NYC an see if you can find a job first. I travel to NoCal and it is much cheaper there then NYC .

As per Harlem I don't know who told you it was not safe ........It happens to very safe an loads of row houses that you can't touch unless you ARE VERY RICH. Brooklyn is a big borough and has some areas that are iffy like East New York an Bed Sty.

I suggest you look at a area and not rely on what others say about an area you may be surprised.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 PM

@Nychistorygal: Yeah your right. 10k does seem more realistic. As far as the job search, I have experience in marketing; I haven't seen many jobs posted on craigslist, so I figured at the least I could try for an admin position, but I'm not sure if I could live off that type of salary in NYC? Could I?

@appleabby: thanks for the advice! And thanks for help in regards to employment :-)

30stm: Yeah I def plan on securing employment before I move. I've been looking on craigslist submitting my resume, hopefully something comes up. And yes, I do plan on making a trip as soon as I can to check out areas. Glad to know I should basically avoid east ny. As far as Harlem, I was told there was a ton of crackheads and men are super aggressive that way. Being from LA and living in Oakland for years, trust me, I'm used to seeing druggies, hookers and dealing with aggressive men, but I guess since I never lived out in NYC, I don't know for sure what I'm dealing with. But your def right; I do need to make the trip out there and check out neighborhoods for myself.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora84 View Post
@Nychistorygal: Yeah your right. 10k does seem more realistic. As far as the job search, I have experience in marketing; I haven't seen many jobs posted on craigslist, so I figured at the least I could try for an admin position, but I'm not sure if I could live off that type of salary in NYC? Could I?

@appleabby: thanks for the advice! And thanks for help in regards to employment :-)

30stm: Yeah I def plan on securing employment before I move. I've been looking on craigslist submitting my resume, hopefully something comes up. And yes, I do plan on making a trip as soon as I can to check out areas. Glad to know I should basically avoid east ny. As far as Harlem, I was told there was a ton of crackheads and men are super aggressive that way. Being from LA and living in Oakland for years, trust me, I'm used to seeing druggies, hookers and dealing with aggressive men, but I guess since I never lived out in NYC, I don't know for sure what I'm dealing with. But your def right; I do need to make the trip out there and check out neighborhoods for myself.

People would not be fighting to buy up millon dollar homes in harlem if it was bad. I suggest you talk to a realtor and let them give you a tour of Harlem. Yes there are sections that are better then others but that is the case in any area. I was in SAC a few weeks ago and Stayed In Rancho Cardova one street was iffy and the next was opulent.

BTW a lot of high end retail shops are in harlem an for Prez Clinton had a office there an no one tried to beat him up with a cigar.. lol If its safe for the former prez then its safe for anyone.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 PM

by the way try https://roomorama.com/ or

Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb

Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,691 times
Might be tough to get interviews without an NYC address. You might have to take the risk of moving here with at least 10k then find a roommate that is willing to put you up for 6 months while you search for a job. Cal is a good school though, so you shouldn't have too much trouble competing. You just need to find a very cheap room so you can buy as much time as possible to job search. The job market hasn't been great since 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City