Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times

Advertisements

I'll be attending a class at GIA near Times Square, and staying in the Pennsylvania Hotel, close to Macys.

Any decent, cheap restaurants I should try? Streets to avoid? My class starts at 9 and ends at 5.

How long does it usually take to flag down a taxi?? Does anybody know how long this walk will be for me everyday?

Also, how hot does it get in the city in August? Keep in mind I am used to 95 degree temperatures with lots of humidity, so when you mention hot I think of worse that what Im used to...

Im looking forward to looking at Macys though. I get a 20% discount on anything in the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
In regards of the weather... If it was regular 95 it'd be no problem... However 95 with 90% humidity feels like it easily breaks triple digit weather and August is typically the warmest month... To be fair this year has been much better in terms of hot as opposed to last year where we nearly broke a record for most 90 degree days and cleared a 100 with humidity a couple of times...

Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
So it will be just like here at home then. Thats ok though, Im used to that. lol Was hoping for a break from the heat, but whatever.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I'll be attending a class at GIA near Times Square, and staying in the Pennsylvania Hotel, close to Macys.

Any decent, cheap restaurants I should try? Streets to avoid? My class starts at 9 and ends at 5.

How long does it usually take to flag down a taxi?? Does anybody know how long this walk will be for me everyday?

Also, how hot does it get in the city in August? Keep in mind I am used to 95 degree temperatures with lots of humidity, so when you mention hot I think of worse that what Im used to...

Im looking forward to looking at Macys though. I get a 20% discount on anything in the store.
Unless you don't have a Macy's where you live then by all means use your discount other then that you are paying NYC prices for items and your 20 percent discount will amount to what you would pay out side of NYC. Also NYC has tax on clothes.

area has a lot of fast food you are near Madison Square Garden and also Penn station so their are a lot of taxis you have a lot of trains and buses i would use those instead of wasting money on taxi's or just walk it TS is not a bad walk.

Just be VERY careful in your hotel in the past a lot robberies and rapes occured in that hotel. Make sure if your on the elevator with someone you dont know they dont try to get off with you an follow you to your room. Make sure when you leave or enter your door you witness your door being closed where no one is trying to sneak in. use a double lock Look around every nook and cranny be alert when you reach your floor

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
So it will be just like here at home then. Thats ok though, Im used to that. lol Was hoping for a break from the heat, but whatever.
Yeah, except there, you've got grass, trees and open space.

Here, we've got bricks, cement and asphalt! You'll soon learn the difference.

Times Square is about 20 minutes straight North, up 7th Avenue from your hotel.

Enjoy your stay.

Please do not attack any hotel maids! )

Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Yeah, except there, you've got grass, trees and open space.

Here, we've got bricks, cement and asphalt! You'll soon learn the difference.

Times Square is about 20 minutes straight North, up 7th Avenue from your hotel.

Enjoy your stay.

Please do not attack any hotel maids! )
FYI that maid was lying about her attack!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
Unless you don't have a Macy's where you live then by all means use your discount other then that you are paying NYC prices for items and your 20 percent discount will amount to what you would pay out side of NYC. Also NYC has tax on clothes.r

The prices at Macy's are the same no matter what Macy's you are shopping at. The only thing that changes is the sales tax.

Also, I'd rather die than go into that tourist hell hole.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:

I thought they where tearing that hotel down. It's SO disgusting.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The prices at Macy's are the same no matter what Macy's you are shopping at. The only thing that changes is the sales tax.

Also, I'd rather die than go into that tourist hell hole.
Maybe you can do both. Get trampled Wal-mart style like a real new-yorker... seriously, let the visitor have some fun. No need to crap on someone for where they are staying and where they choose to shop.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
Unless you don't have a Macy's where you live then by all means use your discount other then that you are paying NYC prices for items and your 20 percent discount will amount to what you would pay out side of NYC. Also NYC has tax on clothes.
Actually that's incorrect.
Clothing and footwear under $110 are exempt from New York City's 4.5% sales tax. Starting on April 1, 2011, clothing and footwear under $55 will be exempt from the entire sales tax.
Sales and Use Tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City