Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 AM

16 posts, read 31,601 times

Advertisements

Hi all..

I have a job that I might get, in midtown manhattan. Currently I rent an apartment in Basking Ridge, NJ and while it's a nice area, there's *nothing* to do and everything is 20+ minutes away. Not to mention, it's not exactly easy to get into the city without commuting for a long time, which I don't want as I have two small kids.

I want to buy a home in the near future, and my requirements are an easy commute into midtown (NJ Transit or a bus into port authority), as well as decent schools (my kids are 9 months and 2 years old, so I have some time), and I get a lot of bang for my buck with a house.

I don't care whether I live in NY, CONN, or NJ... obviously property taxes are important, and while the *best* school districts are nice, I don't want to screw myself over by getting the best school district and a much smaller house for my kids to run around in.

I appreciate any advice you can give, especially since I'm unfamiliar with Connecticut and NY (live in NJ most of my life), so thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
East or West? Being near Penn or Grand Central can save a lot of time with your commute. If you want to stay near Penn, your options are Jersey or Long Island.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
East or West? Being near Penn or Grand Central can save a lot of time with your commute. If you want to stay near Penn, your options are Jersey or Long Island.
Yep, nearer to Penn station, it's near Lexington and 50 something.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,823 times
if you can afford midtown move there or queens which is close to midtown. Save on your commute and on money.

There are studies were people spend wasted hours and money on commuting to and from work. They think they are saving money but they are not. They are losing life hours by commuting and some pay a lot of money to commute.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
if you can afford midtown move there or queens which is close to midtown. Save on your commute and on money.

There are studies were people spend wasted hours and money on commuting to and from work. They think they are saving money but they are not. They are losing life hours by commuting and some pay a lot of money to commute.
I never really saw myself raising my kids in the city, to be honest. That's why I didn't really like the idea of moving into a more urban area; I like the suburbs for my kids... my older one is really active and I'd like to have him be able to run around like the little monster he is

Plus the cost of midtown is ridiculous, and the buildings are small to boot. I like the creature comforts, I like working on the house and on the car, so being in the suburbs affords me that.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,823 times
well you can check out Queens, still close to work and some areas like Forest Hills Kew Gardens have that suburban feel.

I also like Sunnyside Gardens, Bayside, Whitestone, Douglaston,

Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyatic View Post
Yep, nearer to Penn station, it's near Lexington and 50 something.
That's closer to Grand Central, not Penn.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
That's closer to Grand Central, not Penn.
So does that makes Connecticut a better choice than NJ?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM

102 posts, read 155,645 times
What's your budget? That's very important.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post
What's your budget? That's very important.
I would say in the 400k range probably. I don't have a lot to put down, but that might change if I can negotiate a signing bonus

Lot of expenses in the last few years, mostly healthcare related that kind of bogged down my savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City