Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,338 times

Advertisements

No way on god's green earth is the dominican population that low... I'm a little lost though, did you do just Ridgewood or all of Queens district #5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I actually just did Ridgewood. I took the numbers from Qn district # 5, which includes Maspeth, Glendale, and a few other places. Anyways, in comparison to the entire neighborhood:

13% Puerto Rican/4% Dominican
Maspeth is about 9-10% Puerto Rican, the other neighborhood is Middle Village which probably has the smallest PR population of the 4 neighborhoods. I'm surprised the Dominican population is that small, they're suppose to be the fastest growing foreign born group in Ridgewood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
No way on god's green earth is the dominican population that low... I'm a little lost though, did you do just Ridgewood or all of Queens district #5?
I assume it's Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale, and Middle Village [which is all of Queens district 5]. In the 4 neighborhoods, I think only Ridgewood has a noticable Dominican population. I rarely ever see any in the other 3 hoods.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
All of district 5.

Here you go:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...06to08_acs.pdf

Notice that the number belonging to Qn # 5 is 4110.

On this website, Detailed Tables - American FactFinder, I searched a few of Queens hispanic neighborhoods, (# 1, #3, and # 4), with # 5 (4110) being the last column.

Keep in mind these are estimated based on 2006-2008 data, but anyways, total population is 178,053, there are 23,094 Puerto Ricans, and 7,070 Dominicans.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Maspeth is about 9-10% Puerto Rican, the other neighborhood is Middle Village which probably has the smallest PR population of the 4 neighborhoods. I'm surprised the Dominican population is that small, they're suppose to be the fastest growing foreign born group in Ridgewood.

I assume it's Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale, and Middle Village [which is all of Queens district 5]. In the 4 neighborhoods, I think only Ridgewood has a noticable Dominican population. I rarely ever see any in the other 3 hoods.
I am assuming the same thing.

Bushwick came out to be 25% Puerto Rican and 15% Dominican.

East NY/Cypress Hills was 16% Puerto Rican and 12% Dominican.

Washington Heights/Inwood is home to the highest percentage of Dominicans, an astounding 49% of the neighborhood is Dominican.

Mott Haven/Hunts Point was the highest Puerto Ricans at 34%.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:00 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,338 times
I definitely think the numbers in 2010 will be way different because Glendale has also seem a large increase in the Puerto Rican and Dominican population... by Cooper and 60th down to 68 park that is all Dominican, Puerto Rican and has been 3ni land for awhile now... and even what was considered the whiter part of Glendale around Central ave park is seeing alot of new hispanic folk move in and you see the PR flags all over the place now...

And Ridgewood has only continued to grow each year in its hispanic population and the biggest new groups are Dominicans and Mexicans... but @ supermario thanks for the links...

Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Dominicans will eventually take over as biggest Hispanic group but it might not be for that long relatively. Immigration from DR has slowed down quite a bit for one. Nyc also isnt the automatic landing spot it once was for dominican immigrants. A lot of what people see are really shifts in the population as people get priced out of certain nabes not really increases per se. Also anecdotally I just dont see them keeping up with Mexicans. Its amazing how quickly mexicans have spread out in this city.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would agree...there are still plenty still here...but really many that are still here are either ones that could not leave due to lack of resources, education, etc, or descendants of those people. There is no PR identity, it died in the 70s along with many of the communities PRs lived. Those that could get out, like everyone else, did....those who couldn't/didn't...well this is the population we are left with here. That is not an identity, that's just, in general, the bottom tier and least capable members of a society.

Of course that is not the case with everyone, as I stated some did stay, have moved to better neighborhoods in the city, but many have left. And the that much of my family no longer lives in NYC, but instead Florida and Pennsylvania, is very typical of what is occurring.

I am not surprised though that the South Eastern Bronx is one of the last strongholds for Puerto Ricans...which is also the areas where all the affordable housing is being built, much of the new 2/3 family homes have been built, and has given PRs the opportunity to stay and ascend the economic ladder in their own communities.
To be fair, what other ethnic group in the city has been here since the 40's (some even the 20's) and still retained their identity? In fact in comparison with groups before them, particularly the Irish, Italian etc...Puerto Ricans actually held on to their identity longer, partly because they were marginalized for being "non-white" group in comparison to the European immigrants before them. No other hispanic group has been here in large numbers since the 40's and didn't have the same experiences. Society was completely different before the 70's and 80's, which is when most of the new wave immigrants began coming.

Of course I'm not Puerto Rican and I'm not one to talk, but this whole identity thing is almost equivalent to the black community here. People from the Caribbean have the viewpoint that non-P.R. hispanics do about American blacks as they do Puerto Ricans. My parents constantly drawing the line between "us" and "them" and the assumptions that we're better. Of course things are different because we didn't come here in the same fashion and have a different experience in this country.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 PM

337 posts, read 968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
To be fair, what other ethnic group in the city has been here since the 40's (some even the 20's) and still retained their identity? In fact in comparison with groups before them, particularly the Irish, Italian etc...Puerto Ricans actually held on to their identity longer, partly because they were marginalized for being "non-white" group in comparison to the European immigrants before them. No other hispanic group has been here in large numbers since the 40's and didn't have the same experiences. Society was completely different before the 70's and 80's, which is when most of the new wave immigrants began coming.

Of course I'm not Puerto Rican and I'm not one to talk, but this whole identity thing is almost equivalent to the black community here. People from the Caribbean have the viewpoint that non-P.R. hispanics do about American blacks as they do Puerto Ricans. My parents constantly drawing the line between "us" and "them" and the assumptions that we're better. Of course things are different because we didn't come here in the same fashion and have a different experience in this country.
Not true with us. Latinos Unidos!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 AM

80 posts, read 174,466 times
Puerto Rican culture in NYC is very warped. I am Puerto Rican ancestry born in the city but I honestly don't like bringing it up to be honest. I can pass for quiet a few things, especially Southern European, or even Middle East Arab and obviously other Latin American countries (Anyone can).

It's embarrassing the blind pride I see. People acting a fool around the flag when they don't even know the history. Wearing socks, hats, shirts, shorts, with flags galore. Acting trashy, disrespecting the efforts Puerto Ricans throughout history fought for in order to. I wish the Puerto Rican parade was abolished or at least shortened/shrunken tremendously. Doing nothing to better themselves. I know its a lack of education, no one willing to grab them and shake them out of the ghetto mentality (that's right successful PR's not helping their own). I didn't notice how bad it was until I starting traveling to other parts of the country. We have an awful reputation.

It's not only me either. The positive is that many Puerto Ricans are moving up/moved up. The problem is they could care less for those left behind. Many Puerto Ricans who have become predominantly "Americanized" outside PR communities completely dismiss their PR roots. It is with good reason though because if you are born in the states you are American first, but many will not admit they are PR.

The funny thing is those on the island supposedly act completely different. Lots of variety, you would think they were South American expats. I wouldn't know, never been. The real Puerto Ricans get no recognition.

I wish people like J-Lo didn't represent Puerto Rico. It's amazing how you can be so rich yet still be so retarded. She's such a bird.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 AM

337 posts, read 968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourboy718 View Post
Puerto Rican culture in NYC is very warped. I am Puerto Rican ancestry born in the city but I honestly don't like bringing it up to be honest. I can pass for quiet a few things, especially Southern European, or even Middle East Arab and obviously other Latin American countries (Anyone can).

It's embarrassing the blind pride I see. People acting a fool around the flag when they don't even know the history. Wearing socks, hats, shirts, shorts, with flags galore. Acting trashy, disrespecting the efforts Puerto Ricans throughout history fought for in order to. I wish the Puerto Rican parade was abolished or at least shortened/shrunken tremendously. Doing nothing to better themselves. I know its a lack of education, no one willing to grab them and shake them out of the ghetto mentality (that's right successful PR's not helping their own). I didn't notice how bad it was until I starting traveling to other parts of the country. We have an awful reputation.

It's not only me either. The positive is that many Puerto Ricans are moving up/moved up. The problem is they could care less for those left behind. Many Puerto Ricans who have become predominantly "Americanized" outside PR communities completely dismiss their PR roots. It is with good reason though because if you are born in the states you are American first, but many will not admit they are PR.

The funny thing is those on the island supposedly act completely different. Lots of variety, you would think they were South American expats. I wouldn't know, never been. The real Puerto Ricans get no recognition.

I wish people like J-Lo didn't represent Puerto Rico. It's amazing how you can be so rich yet still be so retarded. She's such a bird.
J-LO? She was named one of the most beautiful women in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City