Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM

58 posts, read 117,698 times

Advertisements

And not to mention there is no credible evidence that concludes that gun bans prevent violence. So all of this anti gun stuff is just conjecture.

If there is some I'd like to see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Bloomy likes to blame guns rather than the scum using them.
my thoughts precisely lol.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM

For all practical intents and purposes, the unfortunate reality is that stricter gun laws have contributed minimizing gun violence in NYC.

There is less gun related violence today in NYC than there was 20 years ago. Stricter gun laws are one of many reasons for that improvement. There is no denying that for all who continue to argue that stricter gun laws have no affect on gun related crimes and/or violence. That is simply not true.

My only issue with Bloomberg on this, is that the gun laws on the books are fine. The enforcement in other states has and will always be the problem. I think we've reached a peak on how much restriction is actually needed on the books to prevent the public from having access to deadly weapons.

So in contrast I think it's time to begin severely punishing individuals who violate the law. We are simply too soft on how we punish criminals, so much that many of them could simply care less about what the actual punishment will be. In fact, many even brag about it being a joke. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe many of the individuals arrested and/or killed during the shootout had LENGTHY criminal records. In otherwords, had they NOT been on the streets in the first place, this wouldn't have even happened.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you cant make that statement about gun violence being down at all. its just not reported in many neighborhoods .
unless someone is actually shot.

we dont know what effect these laws have . we cant say either way as to whether the laws helped reduce it or increase it.

its like when we argue rent stabilization laws here and 1/2 go rents would drop if we did away with them and 1/2 go they will go up.

the fact is we dont know.

each one of us has to do what is right for us and suffer the consequences good or bad from that decision.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM

With any of the statistical information that we do have available to us, I do believe it is within reason to conclude that gun violence is down by a considerable amount.

There is no reliable metric to determine a pattern of whether these crimes go unreported or not. It's an argument that can't be proven either way.

I also think that it is fair to give credit that stricter gun laws (and a host of other methods) have made a contribution to reducing gun related crimes.

If you think that stricter gun laws, along with gun buy back programs, the infiltration by undercover NYPD detectives to bottleneck illegal distributors, and other means to prevent guns from hitting the streets hasn't helped--I'd like to hear another reason for gun related violence being statistically lower today than it was at the peak of the NYC's hay days of the late 80's and early 90s.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
With any of the statistical information that we do have available to us, I do believe it is within reason to conclude that gun violence is down by a considerable amount.

There is no reliable metric to determine a pattern of whether these crimes go unreported or not. It's an argument that can't be proven either way.

I also think that it is fair to give credit that stricter gun laws (and a host of other methods) have made a contribution to reducing gun related crimes.

If you think that stricter gun laws, along with gun buy back programs, the infiltration by undercover NYPD detectives to bottleneck illegal distributors, and other means to prevent guns from hitting the streets hasn't helped--I'd like to hear another reason for gun related violence being statistically lower today than it was at the peak of the NYC's hay days of the late 80's and early 90s.
How much more to we want to add to the prison population in the ''free world''. There are already 2.5 million in prison in the us more than any other county in total and rate in the world.

What we have here is not a soft judical system but a crumbling moral framework. We have the poor being lured into transient sex by a government that pushes sexual degenercy. With sexual degenercy we have the crumbling of the family. Without a male figure in young boys lives we have a population that is hostile to authority and prone to violence. Moynahan addressed this in the 60s but was dismissed by the ruling class.

if the underlying moral issues are not addressed civilization will continue to crumble from the family up. Throwing millions more into prison is a last resort or stop gap measure not the rock a society is built on.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 09-06-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Legalize it! Crime would drop significantly. However the govt is afraid to lose all the money they make from it being illegal.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
the best thing about the stupid gun buy back program is it allowed everyone to get far more than some of these cheap imported pieces of junk could ever get . then you take the money and buy something far better that holds more rounds with the money.. nothing better than trading in a davis or lorcin piece of junk and getting far more than it even gets new. thanks nyc

Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
How much more to we want to add to the prison population in the ''free world''. There are already 2.5 million in prison in the us more than the rest of the world combined.

What we have here is not a soft judical system but a crumbling moral framework. We have the poor being lured into transient sex by a government that pushes sexual degenercy. With sexual degenercy we have the crumbling of the family. Without a male figure in young boys lives we have a population that is hostile to authority and prone to violence. Moynahan addressed this in the 60s but was dismissed by the ruling class.

if the underlying moral issues are not addressed civilization will continue to crumble from the family up. Throwing millions more into prison is a last resort or stop gap measure not the rock a society is built on.
I'm fine with increasing the prison population with criminals, if it's criminals that need to be imprisoned. What the "rest of the world" does, doesn't concern me. I'd prefer harsher, quasi-Rockefellar like sentences to be complimented with the gun laws already in place. You want to pack heat? You want to prove how thug you are? You want to fire into an open crowd? Fine. Get caught and you won't see the light of day for a long, long time enough to ensure that you will never have the opportunity again, let alone the opportunity to breed. If you can mentally absorb that possibility, then you really are tough lol.

IMO the "moral frame work" (i.e. the problem is "society", not the individual) is simply an unsolvable, philosophical argument, that goes absolutely no-where--even if it does travel in circles. I've been hearing "society" being the problem for God knows how long, and "society" still hasn't been held accountable or brought before a judge or a prosecutor for questioning, let alone legislate change.

You can not hold "society" or the moral fabric of civilization accountable if the we don't even know who or what "society" is, and even if we did, how could "society" even speak up for itself let alone change its ways? The quick and easy answer is that it can't--so we're back at square one again.

Last edited by itshim; 09-06-2011 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the best thing about the stupid gun buy back program is it allowed everyone to get far more than some of these cheap imported pieces of junk could ever get . then you take the money and buy something far better that holds more rounds with the money.. nothing better than trading in a davis or lorcin piece of junk and getting far more than it even gets new
I believe hand guns in the buy back went for about $100--hardly profitable. Either way, seems like getting any gun off the streets cheaply is worth it. By that logic, you'd have to turn in somewhere in the number of 3-5 illegal handguns in order to buy a better one. I don't know about you, but I like that deal.

Edit: I read an article that says that you get $200 for hand guns--According to the NYPD, more than 7,000 handguns have been bought back. According to the same article, a single Saturday in the Bronx, more than 350 were turned in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City