Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

BG7...you would probably be singing a different tune if you lost your job, lost your home, and your kids can't find work. Then you would realize that Wall St TAKES much more than it gives...you do realize the amount in taxes they pay is peanuts compared to the total collapse of the global economy..and trillions in losses and near depression they caused. Or maybe you are incapable of understanding that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Generalizing isn't bad in this situation.

I also didn't get everything I wanted but I grew up low middle to solid middle class. To pretend that the vast majority in my generation endured what many Pre WW2 Americans did is absurd.

It's not about demanding change. This is about hypocrisy and lack of responsibility. Whether it is from government, corporate America, or the citizenry.

This isn't any different than a drug addict complaining about how terrible his life is. One should have empathy but not sympathy in such an instance.

I feel the same way towards these Wall Street protesters. I feel much in the same way that they do but this isn't the way to enact change. We still have many opportunities in this country and the way to enact change is to set examples.

Organize boycotts. Create/ patronize (good) businesses and model new ways of corporate behavior. Run and elect honest representatives.

Standing on a street and yelling how you've been screwed when you're also partly to blame is not the most successful way of accomplishing your goal.
I have never understood Organized Labor allowing SlaveMart to go on with its policies. I have never set foot in a Slavemart and won't until they are Unionized. knock them off and the rest will fall in line

Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
  • Don't buy the new Iphone 5 or new smartphones!
  • Don't eat at major food chains but only eat at local food businesses
  • Buy only with cash or debit cards and Buy only necessitates
  • Watch bootleg movies and TV shows online (Justin TV and Tube Plus)
  • Don't attend sports events
  • Carpool if you have a car ( you can come up with some monetary value for the carpool)
Ya'll can add to the list!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
yea SoBro - you got that right, Wall St. is a net loss to the economy!
Is this your stand up routine?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
BTW, half the protestors will be going home tomorrow, they missed the "street" part, and thought they were protesting against the new changes to the Wall. Facebook is standing firm however, and will not be reneging.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
  • Don't buy the new Iphone 5 or new smartphones!
  • Don't eat at major food chains but only eat at local food businesses
  • Buy only with cash or debit cards and Buy only necessitates
  • Watch bootleg movies and TV shows online (Justin TV and Tube Plus)
  • Don't attend sports events
  • Carpool if you have a car ( you can come up with some monetary value for the carpool)
Ya'll can add to the list!
The banks charge you to use that Debit Card, I pay no fees or interest on my Credit Card.

Buy only UAW built cars
Do NOT shop at SlaveMart
Do not borrow

Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,111 times
It is getting ridiculous down there. While I don't agree with the protesters, nor what they stand for (I may be biased due to the fact that I do want to be an investment banker), I respect that some of them have valid points.
However, the other half are wasting the city's money by because police officers have to be payed overtime - and that comes out of MY pocket as well as everyone else in the city. I talked with one group who had cardboard signs that said "Abolish the IRS. Take down the government!" They said when they voted for Obama, they voted for change.

Half of these people know NOTHING and are brainwashed. And while I did not vote for Obama, I do relaize that he can not fix the whole economy in one term. You can't walk into Washington and just change everything. And abolishing the IRS - well, no comment there. I asked them how much they paid in taxes last year and most of them said they worked off the books as freelance artist. Oh! So they want to punish Wall Street when they do pay taxes to help support our country, but then they don't even pay taxes themselves.

Half these people need to go home and stop wasting my money. The other half that has a valid reason to protest and know what they stand for I have no problem with.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I wonder what all you people would be saying about those Rabble-Rousers who formed the Continental Congress...or all those protests (violent and otherwise) against the British.

Let's learn our history and understand this is why were are all here!!!!! Protests which started small and became the USA.

American Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 AM

282 posts, read 575,160 times
OCCUPY WALL STREET: Analyzing Their List Of Grievances...

First time I've atually seen a breakdown of what they protesting, specifically (if the article is accurate). Saying "Wall Street sucks." is not only obvious but extremely general.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 12,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
OCCUPY WALL STREET: Analyzing Their List Of Grievances...

First time I've atually seen a breakdown of what they protesting, specifically (if the article is accurate). Saying "Wall Street sucks." is not only obvious but extremely general.
They're protesting "Inactive ingredients"?! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City