Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been there? Some coworkers were raving about it to me recently, and I thought it would be a great place to take my husband one of these days since he loves trains.

MTA - Transit Museum General Information

Has anyone done one of the tours? They are ~$50 and I was wondering if they were worth it.

Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,374 times
I would highly recommend the transit museum for anybody who is interested in civil engineering, transportation, urban affairs, history or just have a lust for the subway. There are a variety of historical cars like R division and low V trains that were once in revenue on all three divisions of the subway. The station is nicely lit for high energy compact bulbs that give off a nice incandescent glow.
You'll really become acquainted with how the subway is truly an economic and socially vital system to the city of NY. The museum is perfect for kids.
About a month ago there was an article in the new york times about how trains are an excellent ease for children with autism and other neurological/social disabilities.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
I was pretty impressed with it. They have several old cars that have been refurbished and they even have contemporary advertisements from when they were in operation. There's also a section demonstrating how the subway was built and I think they had a section on the bridges as well.

As far as the tour...are you talking about the one that takes you down into the old City Hall station? I didn't get a chance to go on that one. If it's just a guided tour of the museum $50 sounds a little steep. I think the museum itself is $7.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Definitely worth a visit!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Thanks, guys It's a museum I never thought much about but just heard such great things recently.

DTL3000, the tours are extras - not just admission to the museum, which itself is rather cheap. For example:

Quote:
NOSTALGIA RIDE TO THE BRONX
Sun, Oct 23, 10 am to 3 pm – Tickets
Adults $65 / Children (3-17) $50 Museum Members $50 / $35
Ticket price includes boxed lunch and guided tour.

It's a rare excursion onboard our classic Lo-V vintage trains—to the liveliest cemetery in The Bronx! Ride uptown in style to Woodlawn Cemetery where a guided tour combines nature, history and culture. Enjoy a gourmet boxed lunch amidst the cemetery's spectacular trees and impressive memorials before riding back downtown on the Low-V's.
That is an example of one of the tours. Some of these tours sounded great.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Oh, well that doesn't sound too bad mc. I wouldn't mind doing something like that.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Back in the days when I was a conductor, I got the chance to work one of those "nostalgia trains." A couple of the best runs I ever made!

Hopefully, MTA will continue the tradition established over the last couple of years and put a train of museum cars in regular passenger service all through the month of December (they ran on the 6th Avenue line, between Queens Plaza and 2 Avenue).

And the Transit Museum itself is nothing short of fascinating.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Back in the days when I was a conductor, I got the chance to work one of those "nostalgia trains." A couple of the best runs I ever made!

Hopefully, MTA will continue the tradition established over the last couple of years and put a train of museum cars in regular passenger service all through the month of December (they ran on the 6th Avenue line, between Queens Plaza and 2 Avenue).

And the Transit Museum itself is nothing short of fascinating.
I love when they run the museum cars! It's so much fun to ride or even just poke your head in.

They actually just ran them recently for Boardwalk Empire as well:
Boardwalk Empire on HBO Paying NYC Subway to Run a Train - Metropolis - WSJ

Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I love when they run the museum cars! It's so much fun to ride or even just poke your head in.

They actually just ran them recently for Boardwalk Empire as well:
Boardwalk Empire on HBO Paying NYC Subway to Run a Train - Metropolis - WSJ
I just rode on this today!! I think today's the last day. It was amazing, rattling through the tunnel with the windows open. I loved it.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,357 times
I'm a true rail fan, the transit museum is one of my favorites. I haven't been there in years and I haven't been on a nostalgia train since "79", but reading this thread it may be time for another visit and another train ride.

Absolutely check it out.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City