Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times

Advertisements

And believe us when we tell you that there is no way to distinguish a Puerto Rican... I can pick out 10 people born and raised in Puerto Rico and ask you to point out the Puerto Rican out of the 10 and you wouldn't be able to do so... There are Puerto Ricans that look european, american white, dominican, native american, black, etc. so to say you know how to spot them is a little naive on your part... ftr, we don't all look the same...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM

My family has worked in that area for years along the warehouses on 2nd and 3rd avenues... That area was never dominated by Puerto Ricans... If South Americans began moving in there it was in the 60s or 70s cause that's all I've ever seen passing through there... And along 4th avenue it's Dominican central for the most part

Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
My family has worked in that area for years along the warehouses on 2nd and 3rd avenues... That area was never dominated by Puerto Ricans... If South Americans began moving in there it was in the 60s or 70s cause that's all I've ever seen passing through there... And along 4th avenue it's Dominican central for the most part
That's interesting cause I've read more than once how the PR pop was big in SP and I know the Puerto Rican Day parade is still big there.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Don't disagree with what Sobroguy said for the most part, but I think that because he lives in an area concentrated with low-income PR's he doesn't see that the decline of PR's in certain neighborhoods isn't so much due to the exodus of PR's from NYC but more in part due to the increase of the middle class Puerto Rican population moving to a number of different working to middle class areas across the city... Areas like Pelham Bay in the Bronx, Park Slope in Brooklyn or any number of areas in Queens like Woodhaven, Ridgewood, Glendale or Maspeth... Again like Sobroguy said, there are a number of Puerto Ricans that have moved to areas like Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, NC, and Florida but the Puerto Rican population is still the highest in the country and it remains as the number one hispanic group in the city... Until the time comes when that no longer is the case which is probably sooner rather than later, to say that the PR populationis dwindling is a little out of whack...

To answer your second question the areas that have the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans in no specific order just based on the eye test would go like this... Again (I know the city well but cannot vouge for statistics so you can verify the numbers with other people who are more knowledgeable than I am about this topic)

Mott Haven, Bronx
Hunts Point, Bronx
Pelham Bay, Bronx
Spanish Harlem, Manhattan
Lower East Side, Manhattan (specifically towards Aves C and D)
Southside, Williamsburg
Bushwick, Brooklyn
Cypress Hills, Brooklyn
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Woodhaven, Queens
Ridgewood, Queens
Glendale, Queens (Especially along the Ridgewood/Bushwick border)
Maspeth, Queens (Moreso along the Ridgewood border)
I thouoght Orlando FL had the highest contration of Puerto Ricans accoreding to the 2010 census, then its NYC area.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I've been wondering about the PR population in Sunset Park. I've read they used to dominate that neighborhood but Mexicans now have overtaken it. Are there still any significant number of PRs in SP?
Puerto Rican population has been dropping subsantialy in NYC for the past twenty years, You have to remember that during the 1980s there was a million Puerto Ricans in NYC but that number is now reduced by a quarter of a million. I think in the next ten years the NYC Rican population will probably be around 600k. As other Puerto RIcans new hispanics are replacing them especially from poorer Dominican neigbrhoods and also immigrants from Mexico, Central and South America. Also Puerto RIcan neigborhoods are Roman Catholic, before neigborhoods were Puerto RIcan it was either Irish or Italian who are also Catholic. It makes sense for other immigrant hispanic Catholics to move to a Catholic neigborhood compared to a Bapstist or a Jewish neigborhood.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM

@ Bronxguyanese, what are you smoking...The Puertorican pop. in this city is somewhere around 900,000... @ njnyckid maybe, I just never saw them there like I saw them in an area like Southside or Bushwick where the hispanic population was almost completely in favor of puerto ricans at one point in time. Ever since I could remember Sunset has always been predominantly hispanic but more of a mix... Don't doubt there is a substantial PR pop. there or at least was...

And NYC still has the largest concentration on Puerto Ricans with Philadelphia coming in second... Don't go by what people tell you... Go by the facts...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_..._United_States

Old 10-04-2011, 01:29 PM

652 posts, read 1,275,852 times
Quote:
And believe us when we tell you that there is no way to distinguish a Puerto Rican... I can pick out 10 people born and raised in Puerto Rico and ask you to point out the Puerto Rican out of the 10 and you wouldn't be able to do so... There are Puerto Ricans that look european, american white, dominican, native american, black, etc. so to say you know how to spot them is a little naive on your part... ftr, we don't all look the same...
I know you don't look the same. I am always around them and yes you right they come in different colors. I have meet a Dominican with blond hair and blue eyes. I didn't say I can distinguish them all the time but I can tell that Puerto ricans have different bone structure , etc etc.....just like I can spot the eastern Europeans or other cultures. You said earlier " based on the eye test". So I guess you can distinguish too

Old 10-04-2011, 01:29 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Puerto Rican population has been dropping subsantialy in NYC for the past twenty years, You have to remember that during the 1980s there was a million Puerto Ricans in NYC but that number is now reduced by a quarter of a million. I think in the next ten years the NYC Rican population will probably be around 600k. As other Puerto RIcans new hispanics are replacing them especially from poorer Dominican neigbrhoods and also immigrants from Mexico, Central and South America. Also Puerto RIcan neigborhoods are Roman Catholic, before neigborhoods were Puerto RIcan it was either Irish or Italian who are also Catholic. It makes sense for other immigrant hispanic Catholics to move to a Catholic neigborhood compared to a Bapstist or a Jewish neigborhood.
Yeah, I read the article that said it's about 800,000 PRs in NYC now. Still pretty big number though. I'm just asking about SP because I know they're still deep in the South Bronx, Bushwick, LES etc.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 PM

652 posts, read 1,275,852 times
Quote:
Sorry I should have specified I see a lot of Mexican
Central and south Americans around Jacksheights queens.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
@ Bronxguyanese, what are you smoking...The Puertorican pop. in this city is somewhere around 900,000... @ njnyckid maybe, I just never saw them there like I saw them in an area like Southside or Bushwick where the hispanic population was almost completely in favor of puerto ricans at one point in time. Ever since I could remember Sunset has always been predominantly hispanic but more of a mix... Don't doubt there is a substantial PR pop. there or at least was...

And NYC still has the largest concentration on Puerto Ricans with Philadelphia coming in second... Don't go by what people tell you... Go by the facts...
Puerto Ricans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lol that numbers you gave me about 900000 is from the 1980s. I read somewhere that the NYC PR population according to the 2010 census is well under 800000. The numbers you posted are factual but outdated. Also those are state numbers and not city, not it did not say NYC but NEw York which means state. Half of my neigborhood on my block is already in Florida or PA.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ke-nyc-15.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/ny...hows.html?_r=1

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...ed-dominicans/

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-04-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City