Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

you'll have to work on this but you're in good company. i dropped out twice from college, the first time from medical illness and hospitalization so i had to withdraw totally, the second time from failing out. it took me 7 years to graduate but i did it (a cousin of mine took a decade at least)

it happens

keep plugging away at something it will take time and in time you might find you are more ready
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I'd recommend that you think this through and think about what you want out of going to college. With that, if you decide it's still what you want, then take the initiative and try to talk to admission councilors about what exactly they want from you and what you would like to come out of the system with. They will appreciate your forwardness and drive, so impress yourself upon them.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickqsnyc212 View Post
A few years ago I failed out of a CUNY school. I was readmitted but failed out again the next semester. I never reapplied for admission, I just stopped going. The only explaination I can give is that I was immature and did not have a goal. It's embarrasing but I have since matured, a young man in his late 20's that wants another shot at a degree.

My questions:

If I reapply to CUNY (different school), what steps do I need to take? Do I need to retake the SAT? It has been roughly 6 years since I was in college. I graduated high school in 2002, took the SAT in '01 if I could remember correctly.

I failed with a very low GPA (1.?). A few D's. Can I get a fresh start at another CUNY or can the few passing grades I do have be acceptable as transfer credits? I would prefer not to have D's or F's. Would they transfer as T's?

I just feel embarassed about my situation. Of course this is something I need to do to better my position in life. Any information would help me out.
Been there done that, though my GPA was 4.0. There are tens of thousands in your position EVERY year being readmitted. Relax, CUNY is not that stringent of a University system. If it were, 90% of NYC public school graduates would never attend college!

It is CUNY! Not Harvard, you don't need SAT scores. You just need to have graduated from a NYC public school and you are guaranteed entry. Your grades matter only with regard to which higher level school you qualify for. You may not be able to initially attend Brooklyn or Baruch, for example, but you are gauranteed entry to the likes of LaGuardia, Hostos, or Medgar Evers. Just show up with ID at your previous school. You will be readmmited with little question. As to your previous credits, you'll need to speak with a guidance counselor.

If you are not a citizen of NYC and a public school graduate, then your circumstance *may* be different. All NYers are guaranteed a CUNY education, even if they need to take 4 years of 'remedial' courses. Though, I recall CUNY was supposed to raise its standards and cut down on the remedial nonsense.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 PM

88 posts, read 263,649 times
are you originally from NYC? meaning, were you born/raised here? Did you go to school here? (HS?) How well did you do in HS? Is there something you like to do, like on your free time do you.___? Maybe attend a program where you get a certificate and you would only need a HS diploma?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
The good thing is that if you decide to return to a CUNY your requirements will be different compared to if you were an incoming freshman. I think you'll be spared of having to deal with some of the ridiculous GER requirements.

You also have to remember that the CUNY system is very transient, After awhile it's hard to tell who exactly is a freshman or a senior.

I think that you'll be good going from a two year to a four year CUNY, that way you can get the CPE nonsense knocked out early.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're not cut out for school try something else.
...and your not cut out for life. Kill yourself.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 PM

213 posts, read 508,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
The good thing is that if you decide to return to a CUNY your requirements will be different compared to if you were an incoming freshman. I think you'll be spared of having to deal with some of the ridiculous GER requirements.

You also have to remember that the CUNY system is very transient, After awhile it's hard to tell who exactly is a freshman or a senior.

I think that you'll be good going from a two year to a four year CUNY, that way you can get the CPE nonsense knocked out early.
CUNY did away with the CPE requirement last year, so he won't have to worry about that.

I've been in the exact predicament as the TC, having failed out of my first year at BMCC at 19 after not having taken my studies seriously (before BMCC, all I had was a GED to my name). I spent the next year eating **** at dead-end jobs (I was allowed to re-enroll after sitting out one semester, but filed my appeal too late) before returning to BMCC at the beginning of the following school year with a renewed vigor. Some 4 years after having started my second stint, I've since graduated w/honors from BMCC, and am currently in my final year at Hunter College. There's been a lot of roadblocks, and its frustrating that it's taken me this long, seeing as the acquaintances I had left behind at high school have since finished their undergrads, but I'm making it happen. I'm well aware that a grim world awaits me upon finishing my degree, and that nothing will be handed or owed to me, but I'm still pushing forward. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
How about you just start off fresh at a community college first, and when you get your GPA up, you can go to a better college? I think that's pretty reasonable if you are truly into it this time.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:37 PM

147 posts, read 314,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd recommend that you think this through and think about what you want out of going to college. With that, if you decide it's still what you want, then take the initiative and try to talk to admission councilors about what exactly they want from you and what you would like to come out of the system with. They will appreciate your forwardness and drive, so impress yourself upon them.
I agree with this the most...first answer the question of WHY you want to go through college...again. If it's for a job, and you major in one of the liberal arts, then you aren't doing yourself any favors. Sure, community college is cheap, but think about the opportunity cost of going through this whole process. Unless that degree is a stepping stone for something greater, I'd say hold off on it for the time being.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,379 times
I got rejected when I wrote my essay  I dropped out of a Cuny school for the same damn reasons. I was young foolish and didnt have no.sort of.guidance what so ever. Felt so lost and didnt know what programs was out there to help me. Now I have to look for a school to transfer to with 0 credits because I was denied amd I dont know where to go 
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City