Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times

Advertisements

Puerto Ricans stopped coming.

Dominicans slowed down.

Mexicans are up and coming. So are other south american/central american people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:11 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
This is indicative of a change in the cost of living in the city. As the cost of living continues to escalate, and rent, electric, heat, water, gas, food, public transportation, and other staples continue to increase, Hispanics and Blacks in general are finding it is not worth staying in the city. People of color, who have historically been very poor in this city, are seeing that their situation is only getting worse, not better, and many are leaving for southern cities, and suburbs/exurbs where they can live better for far less, while those relocating to the city are a more moneyed, well-heeled crowd.

The fact that this trend is reversing in the Bronx, and Hispanics actually grew in the borough, supports this fact. Since the Bronx is the last bastion of reasonably prices housing/rent/cost of living, clearly those seeking a more affordable lifestyle (people of color typically) are fighting for the last few low rent homes. Of course as the Bronx will continue to grow due to all socio-economic levels of demand, the Bronx now stands to have the highest percentage gains in rent/housing as a result.

In addition, many of the "old guard" i.e. Puerto Ricans are FINALLY making their way out of the city and on to greener pastures upstate,Penn, and Florida, and making way for a new more diverse population of Hispanics, as well as the trickling in of others from the city seeking affordable housing. This bodes well for Puerto Ricans seeking a better life and progressing to the next stage of life, as well as provides housing opportunities and diversity for these very segregated communities. Change is brewing in the city...and overall I believe these population changes are healthy and LONG overdue.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I think everyone knows that the Puerto Rican population has declined, and is continuing to decline. I read a few months that Dominican birth rates fell 7%, whatever that means.

Who knows? Maybe it's time for Asians to take over.

bam! done.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 AM

205 posts, read 507,898 times
oh thats just great. i leave for 6 years and now everybody is gone. Moved back here a couple months ago. I thought I noticed a little difference. Now I know.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 AM

Lol..everybody is not gone...its just a SMALL change that MAY be indicative of things to come...who knows.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
There's still PLENTY of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans to go around. Last time I checked these two groups made up 24 and 20 percent respectively in terms of the Bronx's population.

Mexicans are the next big group. Bank on it.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 AM

Agreed Supermario...this is a minor change...and the reality is they are being replaced by South Americans of all sorts, especially Mexicans. It should be noted however that Mexicans are a very transient and follow the work. As the construction work has slowed, as it has in many areas, they may move to other areas in the country...who knows. The last 5 years has seen a boon in construction as well as the Mexican population...so we shall see how this trend moves as the work has slowed dramatically.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
Unhappy my life

to whom is listening. i have been searching for my father since i last saw him i was 11 now just shy of 40 on April 30, and two kids later i would love to see him and introduce them. i go by the nickname "wito" he would know. he was born April 27 1944/45/46? in Puerto Rico Cantera. love the help thank you. desperate

Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Yes I think I know him...he has dark hair and eyes, and speaks spanish right? If that sounds like him..let me know!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM

113 posts, read 383,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevaluz View Post
Like everyone else, NY Latinos are seeking the American dream, which comes at a high price in the 5 boros. As many Puerto Ricans have moved to places as diverse as NJ, PA and FL, the Mexicans, Dominicans & South Americans replacing them will eventually do the same.
What do you mean by "Hispanic"?

Are you talking about the Ukranians from Paraguay, the Bukhari Jew Bolivians or the Bund members that transited through Guatemala?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City