Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 77,623 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm an ecuadorian/salvadorian currently living in Ontario Canada. I will be leaving to new york city next month im staying at woodside queens for a while. Just wondering how hispanics over all interact with eachother. Here in Toronto hispanics are very united no matter where we are from central or south america caribbean mexico etc etc....However my ecuadorian cousins tell me that the area of queens is mainly ecuadorian mexican and colombian ...and that latinos there usually stick to their own people depending on where there from is this somewhat true?. I hear how puertoricans and very racist towards mexicans and south americans, viceversa as well , or how dominicans and ricans don get along , or nobody getting along with mexicans. Can a NY latino resident elaborate more on this please thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
It's a bit of both. There is a lot of unity but there is also a lot of petty stuff. I think overall the different Latino communities in NYC respect each other but its not a love fest either, and generally I find most of the issues are amongst first generations and recent immigrants.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's a bit of both. There is a lot of unity but there is also a lot of petty stuff.
so i heard, my cousins have alot of negative things to say about puertorocks and dominicans so they say.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Well Im Dominican and I get along with everyone. But Puerto Ricans in the city have a sense of superiority, a cockiness about them that other Latinos dont like. In a lesser way, some Colombians and Ecuadorians, don't like Dominicans because of their loud and brash way. Really, the carribean Latinos, don't really feel any connections to the south/central Americans. Our cultures are different, so you would see a Puerto Rican hang out with a Dominican before he would a Colombian. And you would see a Colombian hang out with a Ecuadorian before he would a Puerto Rican. These are minor points, and may be encountered with only some people. Some are also closest rascists, especially the south/central Americans towards black Latinos.

But the relations are ok here, overall. There are bad apples in every bunch but most people keep their toughts to themselves and atleast try to be cordial.

For the MOST part, you stick to your own.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Well Im Dominican and I get along with everyone. But Puerto Ricans in the city have a sense of superiority, a cockiness about them that other Latinos dont like. In a lesser way, some Colombians and Ecuadorians, don't like Dominicans because of their loud and brash way. Really, the carribean Latinos, don't really feel any connections to the south/central Americans. Our cultures are different, so you would see a Puerto Rican hang out with a Dominican before he would a Colombian. And you would see a Colombian hang out with a Ecuadorian before he would a Puerto Rican. These are minor points, and may be encountered with only some people. Some are also closest rascists, especially the south/central Americans towards black Latinos.

But the relations are ok here, overall. There are bad apples in every bunch but most people keep their toughts to themselves and atleast try to be cordial.

Not necessarily Mario, my girl is Colombian and I've been to Colombia before. There is a section of Colombia that is by the coast and the people there, the "costenos," have a lot of things in common with "Carribbean Hispanics," like Ricans and Domincans. My girl's family is from Bogota, they are "Cachacos." Colombia is very regional and they have sub-cultures based on these regions. Just within Colombia these regions don't always get along that well. Also in Colombia, alot of Colombians look down on Ecuadorians, because many of the Ecuadorians that immigrate to Colombia are very poor.

There is a lot of that sticking to your own kind thing especially amongst the first generations, but gradually that stuff fades away as people become more Americanized.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:59 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Yeah, what the hell is the carribean region of Colombia? I heard they talk Dominican lol. I find that very amusing.

There are exceptions but for the most part, like any other group, you stick with your own.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:

cool thanks for the info bro

at first i thought the NYC latin scene was mostly rican and dominican all over, but my cousins tell me that only specific areas are like that. As queens tends to be more of as southamerican majority when it comes to hispanics as well as mexicans (didnt know about the recent mexican influx in the city as of late)

are there alot of central americans in New York? ...

i cant wait to go! we dont have many latinos in Toronto let alone Canada. I always wondered how it would be to interact in a borough full of ricans and dominicans, and over all a city speaking espanol 24/7

Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, what the hell is the carribean region of Colombia? I heard they talk Dominican lol. I find that very amusing.

There are exceptions but for the most part, like any other group, you stick with your own.
Yeah your right, because I have Colombian friends and from what they've told me generally when their parents got here they stuck by each other and helped each other out as Colombians and all that regional stuff went out the window.

Costenos talk real fast like us (Dominicans), and tend to cut up the words too. It sort of sounds like us but not really it still sounds different because they use different words and phrases. It's a subtle difference though.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
What I can say is that Hispanics are no different than any other group. If you surround yourself with the ghetto people, you would be shocked at how poorly people treat their own "friends" let alone anyone that is remotely different from them. This is not representative of Hispanics, it is representative of the ghetto subculture in every city/town, not unique to NYC. However, if you remove yourself from that culture, Hispanics, and every other group, treat eachother like everyone else. There are always knuckleheads, but overall everyone gets along just fine, work together, and live together. If I were you I would not be worried...anyone that believes any group "hates" another is not wrong, they are just referring to the ghetto subculture...it's not different than one rival trailer park "hating" another, or one subdivision "hating" another. It's all the same...and just a very small contingent of the population...none of whom you will associate yourself with (I hope). I suspect that you will be happy to see how much people DO get along, considering how limited a space we all have to share, regardless of race/culture/religion. Don't worry....you'll be fine.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfb View Post
are there alot of central americans in New York? ...
The Mexicans have really grown in the last 5 years or so. El Salvadoreans are probably the biggest amongst Central Americans. There are a lot of Salvoderenos in LI too though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City