Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

I generally agree with that Crispy. On a side note, I took a DNA test from some website that is supposed to be really good. So in a few days I will learn my ACTUAL genetic background (i.e. percentages, populations, etc) and set the record straight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I generally agree with that Crispy. On a side note, I took a DNA test from some website that is supposed to be really good. So in a few days I will learn my ACTUAL genetic background (i.e. percentages, populations, etc) and set the record straight!
What's the website?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
2) The "Puerto Rican" versus "Newyorican" division is alive and well. There are many younger Puerto Ricans of privileged background living and working here who do not really mix with the generally less well-off "Newyoricans." Many Puerto Ricans are highly prejudiced against "Newyoricans" due to their generally lower socioeconomic status, educational attainment, and their tendency to assimilate to a standard that is more urban African-American than mainstream white American.
OMG, could not have said it better, dead on. Except that is not only privileged backgrounds but also poor backgrounds but educated and now living in NYC.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
OMG, could not have said it better, dead on. Except that is not only privileged backgrounds but also poor backgrounds but educated and now living in NYC.
You mean "working class background, but educated?"

Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
You mean "working class background, but educated?"
Yes.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
It's very similar to any other race or ethnicity. Puerto Ricans don't like Dominicans, probably because they feel the Dominicans were stealing jobs from them in PR. So they looked down upon them. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans aren't exactly fond of one another either. But this can be said of many countries. Take Italy for example...northern Italians dislike southern Italians, and all of them dislike Sicilians. French and French-Canadians, Polish vs Russian, many of the Slavic nationalities have strong rivalries as well. Then there's Asians. Japanese have long felt superior to other Asians, especially over Koreans and Chinese. Never mind how they feel towards southeast Asians. American Blacks (mostly younger ones) are at odds with Africans and Jamacians. It's almost as though each race can be it's own worst enemy in some ways.

Overall I wouldn't worry if I were you. There are no gangs of Puerto Ricans or Mexican's out hunting Ecuadorians. There is a very high population of central and south American's in Jackson Heights and Woodside Queens, I don't think you'll have any worries.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 AM

The website is site is DNA Tribes Personal Genetic Analysis . You can check out the website..it has the breakdowns of populations, as well as sample genetic make-ups for different types of people, like Hispanic, Caucasian, etc. I am hoping to get my results by tomorrow (Friday)..should be quite interesting! And to add one thing to Crispy's prior post, although I tend to agree with it in general, I would also add that whiter Hispanics of all cultures have migrated out to either white enclaves within the city, or to the suburbs, and that has been happenings since people of color have been coming to the city, and not unique to the Cuban population, nor was that movement begun by them. This exodus of the whiter Hispanics is another reason why many Hispanic enclaves in NYC have populations that are darker, and less educated.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 AM

7 posts, read 77,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

And to the OP, the biggest hispanics are Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Mexicans and then it gets cut off. .
i heard ecuadorians are 4th in place

Puerto Ricans (770,100),
Dominicans (587,330)
Mexicans (260,620),
Ecuadorians (162,900)

source
Ecuadorians Number 4 Latino Group in NYC (Especially in Queens) | VivirLatino

Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Hello there, I felt I had to join this website because I need to post my opinions about NYC and the hispanic community. With all respect, I believe that Puerto Ricans don't like Dominicans because the majority of them are disrepectful. They tend to get fresh with females. Many Puerto Ricans will agree with me. I do not mean to offend anybody just stating what I feel. However, I have many friends that are Dominicans. They are defenitely not like that. That is why, I said most of them are like that but not all. If you are going to move to NYC you should be ok. There are many south americans there. You may encounter some racism but not a lot. In the bronx you should be ok. There are many south americans in Queens in some parts of Queens. Thats all I know.

Sincerely,

Armando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's very similar to any other race or ethnicity. Puerto Ricans don't like Dominicans, probably because they feel the Dominicans were stealing jobs from them in PR. So they looked down upon them. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans aren't exactly fond of one another either. But this can be said of many countries. Take Italy for example...northern Italians dislike southern Italians, and all of them dislike Sicilians. French and French-Canadians, Polish vs Russian, many of the Slavic nationalities have strong rivalries as well. Then there's Asians. Japanese have long felt superior to other Asians, especially over Koreans and Chinese. Never mind how they feel towards southeast Asians. American Blacks (mostly younger ones) are at odds with Africans and Jamacians. It's almost as though each race can be it's own worst enemy in some ways.

Overall I wouldn't worry if I were you. There are no gangs of Puerto Ricans or Mexican's out hunting Ecuadorians. There is a very high population of central and south American's in Jackson Heights and Woodside Queens, I don't think you'll have any worries.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM

I dont agree with that at all NYRican...you are speaking from your limited experience of a few people you know, and certainly do not speak for any population other than your friends. If there were "problems" between the groups, there would be constant fighting, street wars, etc..which you do NOT see, and the way we used to see with rival groups in the 60s and 70s especially. The fact remains that everyone in fact gets along fine...there are knuckleheads in all groups...nevertheless, overall everyone gets along quite well. Typically those who believe there are problems with thee groups are usually young people/teenagers, who are also beefing with someone (on their block, at their school, a different color, someone who "looked at them wrong", or "disrespected them")...the usual kid stuff which DOES NOT APPLY nor is representative of the population as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City