Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,777 times

Advertisements

hi i would ike to know how is the rea around vyse ave. in the bronx i think its near east tremont..... an apartment came up for me there brand new but am concerned about the area i have 2 small boys please let me noe nything thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,521 times
Vyse Ave and East Tremont is located in a very bad neighborhood. A lot of drugs come out that neighborhood. West Farms section. There is a housing project on that block as well.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,259 times
What? No, Hustla is correct. East Tremont and the surrounding area is an absolute dump.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
I did not disagree with Hustla's post, I do believe she should check the area for herself....one man's (or woman's) garbage is another man's (or woman's) treasure!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 PM

Moderator cut: personal attack quote removed

Vyse Ave and East Tremont is on the same block as a very large housing project. The overall neighborhood itself is very run down and poor. West Farms. A lot of prostitution under the El, drug activity is heavy in the area as well. A simple poor ghetto neighborhood with many problems.

Going by the username she could be 19 years old, single, with two kids. This is no "treasure". It's a disaster waiting to happen. There are better places for a young mother to live. Unfortunately this may be all she can afford.

If you (the OP) must live in this neighborhood, just don't let the kids wonder the streets. Far from the greatest area but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-08-2007 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 02:56 PM

Doom and gloom? Haha. Jesus. What is wrong with you? Is reality upsetting you? Does it make you sad? If you haven't noticed, I usually only comment on low income neighborhoods. Most of the time. I'm not going to lie and say they are great places to live.

The West Farms neigborhood has a lot of problems. It's not appealing to anyone. **** schools, gangs, drugs, old run down buildings and houses. Lots of poverty, only getting worse as affordable housing has become the standard in much of the Bronx.

People move to West Farms when they have limited options. Such as a single mother with two kids, a family having a hard times, homeless stay in the local shelters, junkies roam the streets, gangs of youth hang out on the corners selling drugs. Some people have other reasons, some want to stay close to family or work, but the majority of residents live there becuase that is all they have.

It's the ghetto.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
You cannot speak for anyone, nor should you. There are plenty of people that I know personally that like living there...they are very close to the Bronx Zoo, Fordham Road, Little Italy, and Crotona Park. It is not the best place to live I agree, but according to you...most places aren't..which I disagree with.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM

265 posts, read 945,426 times
East Tremont is a ****hole

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
You cannot speak for anyone, nor should you. There are plenty of people that I know personally that like living there...they are very close to the Bronx Zoo, Fordham Road, Little Italy, and Crotona Park. It is not the best place to live I agree, but according to you...most places aren't..which I disagree with.
Oh God...

It's the ghetto, get over it. Little Italy? (More like Little Puerto Rico/Mexico), the Bronx Zoo? What are going to do? Go to the Zoo every day? Once a year is more then enough. In fact once in a life time.

Okay lets say it like this. The "fair" way.

West Farms/East Tremont

Pros:

-Cheap (Not even that cheap anymore)
-Close to Bronx Zoo (Again, who goes more then once every few years?)
-Close to Fordham Road (Good if you like ghetto clothing and Spanish/Rap music.)

Cons:

-High crime rate.
-Run down.
-**** schools.
-Close to Fordham Road (Stick up kids love Fordham Road)
-Long commute to Midtown.
-Lots of low income housing.
-Lots of poverty
-Lack of Greenspace (Even with Bronx Park in close proximity to the neighborhood, you cannot access that land. Zoo property, protected by 20 foot chain linked fences topped with razor wire.)
-High levels of pollution. From street filth to air pollution.

Much better areas in the city to live. Terrible enviornment for a low income young single mother. Unfortunately many have to settle with this. Your not good at recommendations. You just blindly recommend the Bronx no matter what. You and I both know this is not the place for this women.

BTW... I don't say most places are dumps, only the ****holes. If you read what I write, I normally recommend much better areas to live. In fact I feel the city has more better off areas to live now then in the past. However the ghettos are still horrible places.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-06-2007 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 06:06 PM

59 posts, read 232,924 times
I actually live one block over from Vyse so I feel qualified to answer this question:

The place is a dump. I'm only here because I'm living rent free with my fiance and her parents. You get what you pay for, but at least I can save money...

Why is it a dump? There are graffiti covered houses just down the street from me. Not buildings mind you: HOUSES. The house I live in is next to an empty lot. Something like 30% of the properties under my local police precinct's jurisdiction are either empty lots or abandoned houses. Earlier in the summer I was woken up at least two or three times during the week in the middle of the night by the sound or gangs of people shouting/fighting with each other (my window is next to an alley so the sound is amplified). Three years ago in the summer I was almost robbed while walking to a train station late at night - a couple of guys started following me and when I ran they chased me but I made it away.

I'm hoping that sometime next year I'll have enough saved up to make a down payment on a property in one of the nicer areas of the Bronx. But for the time being I don't feel safe in this neighborhood. I only travel out of my house during rush hour when the streets are busy, come straight home and then never leave the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: