Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Obviously, if a person rents for a time period and then moves out because they see ghosts there, they usually don't want people to think they are nuts, so they move without explaining, but maybe they tell the Landlord about the ghosts or imply that there are ghosts.

Four people 'leaving without explanation' would make most people suspicious that something odd is going on. I mean, what's the coincidence that they all had an emergency and had to leave shortly after moving there?

I don't think it takes a lot of smarts to figure out how the two things can be true. What, you're accusing her of lying or something? Maybe you are very young and like movies with attorneys in them?
Actually dear, the more likely explanation is that the OP is lying or mistaken. Hence the previous poster wanting to know the details. It doesn't take much brains to figure THAT out. No landlord in NYC is going to lower rent for "ghosts". More likely, IF people did move out, they moved out b/c of the rat infestation and poor plumbing, both of which explains all the "haunting" evidence the OP gave us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Obviously, if a person rents for a time period and then moves out because they see ghosts there, they usually don't want people to think they are nuts, so they move without explaining, but maybe they tell the Landlord about the ghosts or imply that there are ghosts.

Four people 'leaving without explanation' would make most people suspicious that something odd is going on. I mean, what's the coincidence that they all had an emergency and had to leave shortly after moving there?

I don't think it takes a lot of smarts to figure out how the two things can be true. What, you're accusing her of lying or something? Maybe you are very young and like movies with attorneys in them?

The OP added details to their story in the span of one hour. Details they could not have known is such a short period of time.

This leads me to think they are lying or at the very least exaggerating. The "fact" that the LL is willing to knock a $1,000 off the rent seems like an exaggeration too.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
I might add that the added details were contradictory to something the OP had already stated.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I might add that the added details were contradictory to something the OP had already stated.
So perhaps the apartment was haunted...Moderator cut: Personal attack.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-14-2012 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Don't discount the discussions some of us have had on this thread. Go play your pranks in another thread. The OP has a valid story to tell. And none of us appreciate thread hijackers.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't discount the discussions some of us have had on this thread. Go play your pranks in another thread. The OP has a valid story to tell. And none of us appreciate thread hijackers.
It's only valid if you start from the premise that there's actually such a thing as haunting. That hasn't been scientifically proven.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's only valid if you start from the premise that there's actually such a thing as haunting. That hasn't been scientifically proven.
Nor has it actually been DISproven

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
The burden of proof lies with the one making the claim.

Just because I can say I have a Unicorn on my backyard and no one can disprove it, doesn't mean that unicorns exits in the first place.

The OP might be hearing things, and that's very common with old buildings. Especially those with old wooden floors and nearly obsolete heating systems.

The OP might be also 'hearing' things in his head that no one else can.

Or it might be a combination of all of them. Who knows. We just don't need to make up fairy tales in order to come up with a reasonable and scientifically sound explanation for the noises.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
You are not familiar with the scientific process, are you?

All the rolling eyes in the world doesn't change the fact that burden of proof lies on the claimant. In reality, where we live, you have to PROVE something is true. It has to be measureable and observable.

YOU DON'T say, "everything is true until you can prove it's not". That's not science....sigh....I am just remembering that you are the sage burning person, aren't you....I will not bother you with science talk. Sorry.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The burden of proof lies with the one making the claim.

Just because I can say I have a Unicorn on my backyard and no one can disprove it, doesn't mean that unicorns exits in the first place.

The OP might be hearing things, and that's very common with old buildings. Especially those with old wooden floors and nearly obsolete heating systems.

The OP might be also 'hearing' things in his head that no one else can.

Or it might be a combination of all of them. Who knows. We just don't need to make up fairy tales in order to come up with a reasonable and scientifically sound explanation for the noises.
I do have a unicorn that lives in my apartment! Some people have tried to disprove it and they even came over once to investigate, but my unicorn has magic powers and he goes invisible whenever I have guests!

I guess I should start my own thread because my unicorn doesn't really like to be affiliated with or compared to ghosts, even though he shares the invisibility trait with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City