Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,762 times

Advertisements

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place...I'm a 'newbie' as they say... But first of all, thank you to the OP for making these maps (as the last poster said)! They are hugely helpful to someone who, despite having lived here for the past seven years, hasn't ventured much above the 80s in Manhattan. And yet, now I may be moving there...

I currently live in Brooklyn but am looking to move soon. Curious if those 'orange' areas in Inwood and Washington Heights are areas I should stay away from as a SWF who will be living alone and may need to travel at odd hours for work? I know people are debating if the orange areas should have different 'levels of bad' - do they? Any particularly 'bad' orange areas up there I should def avoid?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBlueNY View Post
I currently live in Brooklyn but am looking to move soon. Curious if those 'orange' areas in Inwood and Washington Heights are areas I should stay away from as a SWF who will be living alone and may need to travel at odd hours for work? I know people are debating if the orange areas should have different 'levels of bad' - do they? Any particularly 'bad' orange areas up there I should def avoid?

Thanks in advance!
From 2006-2008, I -- a middle-aged SWF -- lived just east of Broadway, off Hillsdale Avenue, square in the orange zone. I regularly rode the A train from 190th Street (even late at night), the 1 train from Dyckman (not so late at night), and the bus, and travelled throughout the area on foot many times.

It's a mostly Dominican neighborhood, but I never felt unsafe there.

Perhaps it's changed for the worse in the intervening years, but while I was there it was perfectly fine.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,735 times
Does the purple area in Brownsville affect the shopping spot on Pitkin/Belmont ? I mean, I wouldn't mind walking in a red zone by myself, especially in a crowded place, but that purple corridor bothers me a little, actually I don't know if Pitkin/Belmont deserve to be avoided just because of the Mother Gaston corridor nearby...

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Does the purple area in Brownsville affect the shopping spot on Pitkin/Belmont ? I mean, I wouldn't mind walking in a red zone by myself, especially in a crowded place, but that purple corridor bothers me a little, actually I don't know if Pitkin/Belmont deserve to be avoided just because of the Mother Gaston corridor nearby...
I intended for it to only cover the actual housing projects, not the surrounding streets.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I intended for it to only cover the actual housing projects, not the surrounding streets.
I'll fix it.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'll fix it.
yea the shopping blocks on stone are bad but not purple... still as a white guy frenchy you will stick out like a sore thumb in that area...

Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
yea the shopping blocks on stone are bad but not purple... still as a white guy frenchy you will stick out like a sore thumb in that area...
thanks for the advice anon, for sure I will stand out (and even more if I hang out with two of my comrades that are white & black sri lankan) but that's not really a problem though as I am used to that type of situation, when I was younger I used to go to the projects all the time to visit my friends and sometimes we were like 20 guys in the apartment with 19 of us being black, I was the only pale face and it has never been a problem to me.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM

203 posts, read 386,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13
I was actually under the impression that Washington Heights & Southside Williamsburg were comparable.
This is the first summer I've lived in Southside Williamsburg. Lately, I've seen law enforcement activity around the Southside. Also, it seems even sketchier than it did in colder weather.

I suspect that Southside Williamsburg is at least as bad as Washington Heights east of Broadway. And Washington Heights west of Broadway is far, far nicer than Southside Williamsburg or, for that matter, Northside Williamsburg.

So that actually invalidates my example.

And on second thought, Orange is almost by definition a middle ground between red and yellow. So maybe it really doesn't need two levels.

Last edited by IAmEverywhere; 07-18-2012 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Added details

Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,917 times
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could give me a lil heads up... I am a medical student going to Brookdale Hospital (have heard the area isnt good) and I was looking into renting an apartment on crooke ave in brooklyn, taking the bus on ocean and church ave.... is this pretty safe to do? Including the bus. I live in Miami so I dont think I will feel too uncomfortable but I unfortunately look very distinct to people- tall skinny blonde hair blue eyed girl... bummer... any suggestions? I was thinking the bus was my best source to the hospital since it drops you right off at the door... please give some input Greatly appreciated!

Old 08-05-2012, 02:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrensmith View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could give me a lil heads up... I am a medical student going to Brookdale Hospital (have heard the area isnt good) and I was looking into renting an apartment on crooke ave in brooklyn, taking the bus on ocean and church ave.... is this pretty safe to do? Including the bus. I live in Miami so I dont think I will feel too uncomfortable but I unfortunately look very distinct to people- tall skinny blonde hair blue eyed girl... bummer... any suggestions? I was thinking the bus was my best source to the hospital since it drops you right off at the door... please give some input Greatly appreciated!
Yeah, the B35 is a pretty frequent bus too, though I heard it gets caught in traffic a lot. Taking a bus in general in NYC doesn't have the stigma that it does in other places, so it should be pretty safe.

Anyway, SeventhFloor knows the area pretty well, so you can ask him about the specifics. I mean, if most of the area is orange, you should probably keep your guard up, but I don't think you'd be a target, even if you stand out (though an orange area is one where you'd probably start getting catcalled). Just on the hospital end of the trip, make sure you don't wander away from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City