Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edes View Post
Hello,

I will be relocating from South florida to New York City in a month or so, and would like to gather some information about the Brooklyn area. I am looking to live in a residential area in brooklyn- somewhere quiet, safe, near public transportation. My budget is 1050 monthly, and am interested in renting a 1 bedroom / 1 bathroom. What areas would one suggest? If someone could provide any rental units currently available for renting- that would be awesome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bay Ridge meets most of your criteria except for your budget. Not long ago you would not have too much of a problem finding a true one bedroom for 1K or so. Not any more, trust me, we've been discovered and rents are going up. You may get lucky if you work hard and diligently. It's possible you may still be able to find a studio for 1K, maybe? Check out Sunset Park, which is the neighborhood just north of Bay Ridge with even better transportation options. Rents are a little cheaper there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Bensonhurst - Bath Beach is very affordable. A little further away, but do-able and safe and lots of stores and trains and buses.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Bay Ridge meets most of your criteria except for your budget. Not long ago you would not have too much of a problem finding a true one bedroom for 1K or so. Not any more, trust me, we've been discovered and rents are going up. You may get lucky if you work hard and diligently. It's possible you may still be able to find a studio for 1K, maybe? Check out Sunset Park, which is the neighborhood just north of Bay Ridge with even better transportation options. Rents are a little cheaper there.
Rents are going up everywhere and have been noticeably for the past 1-2 years.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
I have a somewhat related question. My son was just accepted to grad school at NYU...he's not sure yet whether that's the one he'll attend, but there are a couple professors there he's very interested in working with. I realize living in Manhattan is totally out of the question on a graduate stipend, even with several roommates crammed into a tiny basement apartment. Where do grad students at the University usually live? He shares a house near his current campus with 5 wonderful young ladies right now (which I think speaks very highly of his opinion of women ) so he's certainly amenable to a roommate or two at this point in his life. I can help him a little bit with his expenses, too, since I live in a very inexpensive part of the country. Is Brooklyn a good choice? He wouldn't want too long of a commute. Also, if he did live in Brooklyn, would it be silly to bring his car? I know Manhattan is pretty much a no-car zone unless you're very well-off and can afford a garage space, but I don't know enough about the other boroughs to know. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give me.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,567 times
Has he looked into the housing (albeit limited) available through the university?
Graduate Housing

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 23,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Thank you...I will check out sunset park, hopefully I am able to find something reasonably priced

Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,120 times
Well Edes searching for an apartment in NYC SUCKS. It is because of the very low vacancy rate, usually under 2%.

Maybe try New Jersey? I don't know much about that, but many people commute from there, it is something to consider.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Has he looked into the housing (albeit limited) available through the university?
Graduate Housing
Yes, thanks - he's aware of that option, and hopefully that would be available, but his impression is that most first-year grad students don't get in. If he decides to attend there, he'll certainly apply for it. We're just thinking having a backup plan would be a good idea. And knowing what else is possible might influence his decision some, since the other school he's considering is in a much smaller college town where commuting would be a snap and expenses would be less. But I think at his age, spending a couple years in New York would be a great experience. He grew up in San Francisco, which is admittedly much smaller, but he's been exposed to plenty of city "grittiness," so I think he'd adjust fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: