Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,397 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 and will be moving to New York City for a new job. For my first year, I will be in a management training program making about $50K a year. I will be working in Midtown.

Here's my dilemna: I have never visited New York and I have no clue where to live? I am looking for a Studio or a 1 bedroom for less than $1300/month. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should begin looking?

Any advice on living in NYC would be awesome.

-MR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 PM

53 posts, read 252,674 times
Van Cortlandt Village in the Bronx has an easy commute to Midtown. Besides local subways in which you'll find your way, a Bronx/Manhattan express bus comes as much as 4 times an hour during commuting hours. A lot of people in the neighborhood work in Midtown, many former Manhattanites themselves.

You can find a find a studio for as little as $700 and a one bedroom for as little as $1050 if you know how to search.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillFreak View Post
Van Cortlandt Village in the Bronx has an easy commute to Midtown. Besides local subways in which you'll find your way, a Bronx/Manhattan express bus comes as much as 4 times an hour during commuting hours. A lot of people in the neighborhood work in Midtown, many former Manhattanites themselves.

You can find a find a studio for as little as $700 and a one bedroom for as little as $1050 if you know how to search.
How do you search?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
For $1,300 you're probably going to want to look towards Queens. Queens also has the best commute for Midtown. You can take the E, the 7, or the LIRR into Penn Station.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella13 View Post
I'm 24 and will be moving to New York City for a new job. For my first year, I will be in a management training program making about $50K a year. I will be working in Midtown.

Here's my dilemna: I have never visited New York and I have no clue where to live? I am looking for a Studio or a 1 bedroom for less than $1300/month. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should begin looking?

-MR
When I moved to NYC from Chicago, I rented off of Craigslist, and found a GREAT 2BR in Astoria (technically, East Elmhurst, by a 1/2 block) Queens for 1400.---It was a quick 5 min. bus ride to the "N" and "W" trains at Ditmars Blvd., and only 15 mins from there into Manhattan @ 59th & Lex (you'll get to know what I mean, soon enough).

The northern Astoria/Upper Ditmars area is a good area that is starting to rise, so if you get in now you'll be thankful later. Largely Greek, with smatterings of Irish & Italian, it boasts LOW crime, easy commute, and you're only 5 mins from LaGuardia Airport, as well.

Overall, Queens has the best commute and fewest problems, from what I've seen in the 3 years I've been yere.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Yeah Queens is quite nice. Out in eastern Queens by Bayside and Whitestone there are neighborhoods that are quite suburban and laid back.

Parts of Southern Brooklyn are also very nice, but the commute is much longer into the city, especially going towards midtown.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
How do you search?

That's why the Higher Power created the internet.

NY times, ny post, ny daily news=all online, craigslist, just for starters.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella13 View Post

-MR

What region do you currently hail from? That will help others give you the most relevant info on living in nyc

Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 PM

53 posts, read 252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
How do you search?
Besides the glorious internet, you go into the building and ask. It works.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 PM

12 posts, read 62,470 times
Default Craigslist = :P

Be careful with Craigslist. The competitive market brings on many scams, liars, etc. Keep your wits about you when dealing with craigslist. Sunnyside/Woodside Queens can be quite affordable. Try to stay outside of Manhattan until you have a place. You won't want to leave once you get to Manhattan, especially at age 24 just coming to the city .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City