Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 AM

282 posts, read 575,160 times

Advertisements

I think the UWS is worse than Park Slope for strollers. And dogs. Bad idea if that is what you are trying to get away from. I find myself going up there less and less because I can't stand the "dodge the stroller" game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
If you are looking for kid-free areas, the UWS is not the place. The age mix probably does skew older than Park Slope because it is more expensive to live here in family-sized apartments than in Park Slope. But the UWS is still defintely a prime family nabe and the public schools are getting overvecrowded if not overcrowded already.because of the local baby boom. In addition, the subways and buses are clogged with teenagers going to school during rush hours.

You might find what you want either further north in Morningside Heights (Columbia U) area or further south in Hell's Kitchen, where new housing has sprung up along 8th Ave and further west.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
In DC its "only single hipsters want to live in town, just you wait, once they have families, they will zoom to the burbs"

This thread about NYC is refreshing.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM

64 posts, read 109,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
Upper west side coffee- Zabars Gourmet Food and Kosher Food Online at Zabars Grab a coffee and a pastry and then go across into the supermarket side for an amazing (and delicious) shopping experience.
Thanks. Next time I am up there (this weekend), I will definitely check it out.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
I think the UWS is worse than Park Slope for strollers. And dogs. Bad idea if that is what you are trying to get away from. I find myself going up there less and less because I can't stand the "dodge the stroller" game.

This is exactly what I do in Park Slope.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you are looking for kid-free areas, the UWS is not the place. The age mix probably does skew older than Park Slope because it is more expensive to live here in family-sized apartments than in Park Slope. But the UWS is still defintely a prime family nabe and the public schools are getting overvecrowded if not overcrowded already.because of the local baby boom. In addition, the subways and buses are clogged with teenagers going to school during rush hours.

You might find what you want either further north in Morningside Heights (Columbia U) area or further south in Hell's Kitchen, where new housing has sprung up along 8th Ave and further west.

Thanks. I will look into Hell's Kitchen.

Thank you everyone. I am so glad that I posted this question.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
The UWS is less of a stroller district than it used to be, for two reasons.

1. It's become too expensive. Many young couples with children/planning to have children cannot afford the UWS and move to places like Park Slope instead.

2. The population is aging. The UWS was the chief destination for child-rearers in the 1990s and early 2000s. Most of those people are still there even though their children have grown up (or at least have outgrown strollers). And, partially because the real estate market is so tight, they have no plans to move any time soon and free up space for new, younger parents. So the population has really aged out of child-rearing.

That said, the UWS's reputation as a stroller district precedes it, and that has contributed to a fairly steady stream of new parents moving to the area, even if it's much less than it once was. There are certainly many years yet before the UWS settles into the elderly somnolence of the UES.

Hells Kitchen is definitely not a better fit for you, though. Hells Kitchen is a very young neighborhood that is a good fit for people not yet ready to settle down and have children (or who never plan to do so). Even if you don't have children or a spouse, I doubt you're planning to go to bars and clubs multiple nights a week.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
The UWS is less of a stroller district than it used to be, for two reasons.

1. It's become too expensive. Many young couples with children/planning to have children cannot afford the UWS and move to places like Park Slope instead.

2. The population is aging. The UWS was the chief destination for child-rearers in the 1990s and early 2000s. Most of those people are still there even though their children have grown up (or at least have outgrown strollers). And, partially because the real estate market is so tight, they have no plans to move any time soon and free up space for new, younger parents. So the population has really aged out of child-rearing.

That said, the UWS's reputation as a stroller district precedes it, and that has contributed to a fairly steady stream of new parents moving to the area, even if it's much less than it once was. There are certainly many years yet before the UWS settles into the elderly somnolence of the UES.

Hells Kitchen is definitely not a better fit for you, though. Hells Kitchen is a very young neighborhood that is a good fit for people not yet ready to settle down and have children (or who never plan to do so). Even if you don't have children or a spouse, I doubt you're planning to go to bars and clubs multiple nights a week.
And you would be correct in assuming I wouldn't be going out to bars and clubs multiple nights a week.

So, where is the better fit for me? I don't expect a perfect fit as I know there is no place. I just want to live in a place where there are more people I can relate to. Oh, and there has to be good NY coffee in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City