Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 21,293 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband recently got a job in NYC. We have 2 big dogs, teenage kids(so good high school please). We dont know the area since we're moving from Indiana. Safe and cheap neighborhoods please? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanman1224 View Post
Hello!
My husband recently got a job in NYC. We have 2 big dogs, teenage kids(so good high school please). We dont know the area since we're moving from Indiana. Safe and cheap neighborhoods please? Thanks!
We need a lot more than that in order to help you.

Whats your budget for an apartment?
How long of a commute is acceptable for your husband to get to his job?
Etc.....................
Give us as much info as possible and we'll try and guide you the best we can.

Often, safe and cheap DOES NOT equate here, unless you can handle a long commute.
NYC's public school system for the most part REALLY sucks, except for a few exceptions. Keep these things in mind.

Last edited by makossa; 03-26-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 PM

62 posts, read 187,379 times
If there were actually "safe and cheap" neighborhoods in NYC, it would be a lot more populated than it is now.

Here comes reality...

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM

We want a condo or a townhome. A 45 minute drive is acceptable. If need be, suburbs of NYC would be fine. We do not have a budget because the prices are different in Indiana than New York. In Indiana, our budget is about 300,000. We can go up in price if need be. Oh and safe is our main priority.
I figured that safe and cheap don't go together in NYC. We just need safe. Also, the schools are not the main priority as we would not be sending our kids to a public school in NYC. If we do live in the suburbs, though, we would probably send them to public schools.

Last edited by seanman1224; 03-26-2012 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Additions

Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
A 45 minute drive is acceptable. If need be, suburbs of NYC would be fine.
Your husband plans on driving to work? Why? Where is this job?

If you're willing to rent, southern Brooklyn and Eastern Queens should be doable. Dunno how much condo prices are, a local would have a better clue, $400-$450k might be possible but probably not $300k.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 PM

Well, if we lived in the suburbs he would drive! Also, how far is Connecticut from NYC? Would it be worth looking there? I'm sorry if I'm very confusing. This is just new to me, so sorry for the mistakes!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well, if we lived in the suburbs he would drive! Also, how far is Connecticut from NYC? Would it be worth looking there? I'm sorry if I'm very confusing. This is just new to me, so sorry for the mistakes!
I still don't follow why he would drive if you lived in the suburbs. I assumed the job is in Manhattan. Is it somewhere else?

The closer part of Connecticut is Fairfield County (the rest is really too far); mayb 30-35 miles. Train ride to Manhattan is anywhere from 40 minutes to a little over an hour; no clue on driving time, it's not that common. But much of Fairfield County is inhabitated with fianicial types, making real estate rather expensive. There are some exceptions, I don't know the area too well, but in general I'd avoid it and its culture.

Western Long Island and parts of New Jersey are cheaper and more down to earth. Westchester is nice, but also expensive. Parts of the city might still be good, depending on your tastes, especially if schools are not issue. Staten Island (part of the city but doesn't feel like it many ways) is an option if your husband works in Downtown (Lower) Manhattan but otherwise has incovenient transpotation.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM

It's in the center of Manhattan. And ok, I'm looking in Fairfield County right now. Thanks for the help!
And I was looking at Staten Island, but is the ferry money to get to the mainland worth it?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM

13 posts, read 23,131 times
The problem with driving to Manhattan is that it will be very hard to find a parking spot. This is why most people take public transportation, usually the subways.
You should look into Long Island or eastern parts of Queens like Forest Hills or southern parts of Brooklyn, like Midwood, Sheepshead Bay. These are considered safe neighborhoods. You can also look into New Jersey, like Maplewood which has a train that goes into Manhattan as well.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It's in the center of Manhattan. And ok, I'm looking in Fairfield County right now. Thanks for the help!
And I was looking at Staten Island, but is the ferry money to get to the mainland worth it?
Center I assume is Midtown (roughly between 30th and 60th street). The ferry is free. It will be a long commute, though. Train or bus to ferry terminal (driving might be doable also, not familiar with the Island). Transfer to ferry. Take subway from ferry terminal to midtown. If you live close to the ferry terminal it won't be bad, though some say that section isn't so nice, depends. If you're on the southern end of the island it's a very long commute, might close to an hour and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City