Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times

Advertisements

This is confusing. You have the money to send your kids to private school in NYC but you're worried about ferry money? The median 12th grade tuition at NYC private schools is around $37,000 per year. So figure for two kids the tuition would be around $74,000 per year.

Btw, the Staten Island ferry itself is free. The subway system in NYC is quite cheap at $104 per month for unlimited. The transportation gets expensive when you are using toll crossings like tunnels, and also when you are buying railroad passes from Westchester and Long Island.

Many of the bridges and tunnels cost $9.50 each way -- so figure $19.00 per day on tolls if you're driving in and out of the city every day. This is if you are taking bridges and tunnels from outside of NYC into NYC and from inside NYC to outside NYC (does not include bridges within NYC like the Queensborough Bridge). Tolls - Bridges & Tunnels - The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Do you happen to know where his office is located, just general terms? If it's on the east side of Manhattan, then commuting through Grand Central is faster. If on the west side, then commuting through Penn Station is generally faster.

A shorter commute would be necessary to stay close to 45-minutes. Larchmont would work, but it can be pricey, as in $800k for a tiny 1920s Tudor. Pelham is slightly less expensive, yet still 30-minutes to Grand Central. Tuckahoe might be a consideration as well, as would be Bronxville, but Bronxville is among the more expensive villages is Lower Westchester.

In the city, Riverdale would not be a bad consideration, with commute options via express bus and Metro-North to Grand Central. Far Eastern Queens, might not be a bad option, either, as the commute is quick along the Port Washington Branch of the LIRR to Penn Station. Many areas of Riverdale and Eastern Queens are separated from the subway, though there are decent city schools in each, and Riverdale has some stellar private school options in the neighborhood.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,527 times
You should take a look at the mta's website- mta.info | Home Page. Your husband would probably be far better off taking a train into the city- check out towns located along the Metro North and the LIRR. Based on what you have described I would look into Long Island, Southern Connecticut or New Jersey. There are plenty of great towns with good school districts that are within a 45 minute commute via train. It can be nice to have the city close but have something a little more laid back to escape away to- especially if NY is a totally new experience for you. It can be a bit overwhelming.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,416 times
Many of the high schools in NYC are bad, unless you live in certain neighborhoods which are pretty expensive. Private school could cost $30k/year per child.

Most people that work in Manhattan don't drive into work, unlike most cities around the country. Traffic is horrible in addition to parking costs at a minimum of $30 a day.

Your best bet is going to be living in LI or NJ and having your husband take the train into work. The total commute time won't be short, but this is the way of live here. For example, if you chose to live in Merrick (a nice LI town), depending on how far away you live from the train it could take 20 minutes to get there and park, then another 50 minutes into the city, then whatever amount of time it takes to get by subway to his workplace if hes not within walking distance to Penn Station.

It sounds overwhelming, but this is the way of life here for people that live in the suburbs.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
It sounds to me like you don't know what is going on. That is understandable, but you need to figure some things out about the lifestyle you are going to have before you ask about neighborhoods. Narrowing down neighborhoods is far, far into your future.

First, How is your husband going to get to work. That is simple, he is going to take the train, or some form of transportation. If he wants a 45 min commute to Manhattan....that is doable...depending on the time of day. I think you should increase your expectations there though, especially given how all over the place you are in your wants.

You don't need to live in the city at all. You can move to Long Island for example, have good public schools for your children, and your Husband can take the LIRR into work everyday. Thousands upon thousands of people do it everyday. If 300K is your budget for a house, then you will have a hard time finding a home in a good neighborhood, but it's not impossible, and certainly more doable then if you live in the city.

You need to decide a lot of things for yourself before you start saying "hey, should I live on stanten Island?"

What kind of life do you want to lead? Do you want something similar to Indiana where you have a house and a back yard, and drive to Costco? Do you want to live in an apartment in the city and be able to walk to restaurants and such? You need to let us know what lifestyle you are looking for, how much money you can afford on rent/mortgage (the max you can spend, b/c you will be spending the max), How many cars you have and what you are willing to do for commuting (for instance, are you willing to drop your husband off at the LIRR every day and pick him up? Do you have cars for everyone in your family so this is not an issue?)

I think it would be helpful if you would sort of describe your life right now, and what your needs are, and what your wants are. What about your life now in Indiana would you not want to lose moving to NYC. Keep in mind, millions upon millions of people live in NYC, I am sure you can find whatever lifestyle you want, so just generally saying "We are moving, my husband is working somewhere in the middle of manhattan, you know, just middle somewhere, and like, we can afford private schools but don't want to pay too much for a ferry..." It's just not narrow enough parameters for someone to help you. Staten Island may be a good fit, Conneticut might, Yonkers might, Long Island might....we just dont know enough about you to help.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
If you're ok with a townhouse, I think anywhere in Queens along the Port Washington LIRR line would be a good pick. Convenient commute, better schools than most of the city and a bit quieter than most of the city. Further east outside the city limits is also nice, but a bit pricier.

But the whole metro area is huge and there are lots of choices depending on budget and interests. So as the above poster said, give us what you want (are you interested in having the experience of living in NYC? Want something quieter and closer to what you're used to from home? Any particular culture or lifestyle?) and where exactly your husband will work, as he will very likely use mass transit. Unless you said driving for a specific reason, rather than an assumpton.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,122 times
You have to understand, this person is coming from Indiana, they're probably used to spending 2-3 hours a day total in their car commuting and going places. It's not uncommon in places that don't have public transportation. I lived in Atlanta for a while and my morning commute was about 15 miles and took 2 hours.

You can get a nice place in CT, or even Westchester for a decent price and drive into the city if you really want, but it would be better to drive to the train station and just hop the train, or better yet get a place within walking distance of the train to NYC. You have no idea the headaches you'll be saving yourself.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanman1224 View Post
It's in the center of Manhattan. And ok, I'm looking in Fairfield County right now. Thanks for the help!
And I was looking at Staten Island, but is the ferry money to get to the mainland worth it?
The ferry is free, but it doesn't go to the mainland. It goes to Manhattan.

You do realize Manhattan is an island...don't you?

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass. I realize you're from another state, but I think you first need to pull out a map and familiarize yourself with the geography and municipal/state boundaries of the place you're planning to move to. In this region geography; specifically, WATER, can make a huge difference as to where you will live, how much it will cost you to live in a given place, and how long it will take you to get to work.

Also bear in mind that enormous numbers of people besides you are commuting to Manhattan across that WATER every day--from the outer boroughs of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island; from Long Island; from Westchester and Rockland Counties and even more northern counties, from Connecticut, and from New Jersey. I am one who commutes from NJ--and I am one of about 250,000 people who commute from NJ every day. Just to give you an idea.

Now go look at that map.

As someone else pointed out, it is important that you know WHERE in Manhattan the job is. Go to the map--see that Northern NJ runs alongside of Manhattan to the east. Therefore, it might be easier to commute from Jersey if you are in certain places than it would be from Westchester, for example. If you have questions about places to live in NJ, come over to the Jersey forum. A lot of us are seasoned commuters.

P.S. One of my coworkers moved to NJ about 15 years ago from Indiana and commuted to the city until she got a job transfer closer to her house in NJ. Farm girl. She's now married, living in the suburbs, and doing just fine! So will you.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-27-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The ferry is free, but it doesn't go to the mainland. It goes to Manhattan.

You do realize Manhattan is an island...don't you?

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass. I realize you're from another state, but I think you first need to pull out a map and familiarize yourself with the geography and municipal/state boundaries of the place you're planning to move to.
this is important too because the OP needs to realize that unless she lives on the mainland, she is probably never going to go there....except for trips to Yonkers to visit a brother that lives up there, almost all my family never leaves NYC or Long Island....why would they? Ease of getting to the mainland should be of little concern to someone moving.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanman1224 View Post
It's in the center of Manhattan. And ok, I'm looking in Fairfield County right now. Thanks for the help!
And I was looking at Staten Island, but is the ferry money to get to the mainland worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusik86 View Post
The problem with driving to Manhattan is that it will be very hard to find a parking spot. This is why most people take public transportation, usually the subways.
You should look into Long Island or eastern parts of Queens like Forest Hills or southern parts of Brooklyn, like Midwood, Sheepshead Bay. These are considered safe neighborhoods. You can also look into New Jersey, like Maplewood which has a train that goes into Manhattan as well.
Wondering why "Maplewood"... but it doesn't matter: NJ has five train lines that go directly into midtown Manhattan, as well as other lines that connect with the PATH system or are transferable to the other lines, serving about 100 or so NJ communities.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

There are also numerous bus routes going into the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

New Jersey Transit - Home

At any rate, OP, your ferry cost question leads me to believe that you don't have a handle on the expense of getting to work in Manhattan--whether you take a train or bus from anywhere, or drive and pay enormous tolls, it's going to cost you more than you probably thought it would. Just be prepared, and do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City