Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRy View Post
Harlem is at the upper end of Manhattan, Washington heights is a neighborhood in West Harlem, bed-stuy is in Brooklyn

And disregard this. Its really wrong. Harlem begins North of Central Park and runs to 155th St. East of Fifth Ave the neighborhood is called Spanish Harlem. Washington Heights begins at 155th St and is NOT a "nighborhood in West Harlem." But Bed-Stuy is in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM

41 posts, read 92,791 times
My apartment is above 125th on lenox. thanks for the advice. No I haven't signed the lease yet I am visiting in april. If I don't like the area then I will find someplace else but its not really a problem. I am assuming most neighborhoods will have decent acces to public transportation. Looking forward to my move.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM

175 posts, read 353,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
My apartment is above 125th on lenox. thanks for the advice. No I haven't signed the lease yet I am visiting in april. If I don't like the area then I will find someplace else but its not really a problem. I am assuming most neighborhoods will have decent acces to public transportation. Looking forward to my move.

That area has very good access to multiple subway and bus lines and metro north railroad. If you've never been to harlem, the first thing you will notice is that everyone around you is black.

This is a beautiful thing. But it may be overwhelming to some, especially if you've never been to a large city where most of the ethnic groups live seperately. Let me say that the area isn't a ghetto (even though there are ghetto parts), but is a vibrant community historically dominated by African Americans. It's not Charleston and for $800, the apartment will probably not be stellar. It is what it is. I'm glad you are coming to take a look before signing a lease. Its a different world than SC. Also Bed Stuy would receive a similar characterization. Washington Heights is a nice, but loud area historically dominated by Dominicans and to a lesser extent other latinos. I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that the neighborhoods you mentioned all have very few white people.

Last edited by jdm267; 03-28-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that the neighborhoods you mentioned all have very few white people.
Actually, I wouldn't say that...I would say that historically these neighborhoods are Black and Latino but increasing numbers of whites and Asians have been moving in over the past few years. That section of Harlem (Lenox just above 125th) might be something like 10-15% white now. My point is yes, these areas are still primarily Black and Latino but the area is becoming more diverse.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
That area has very good access to multiple subway and bus lines and metro north railroad. If you've never been to harlem, the first thing you will notice is that everyone around you is black.
Not so much anymore. there's some whites & hispanics there now even though blacks are still the dominate group by a long shot. Check out SE Queens, makes Harlem look like Elmhurst/Woodside in comparison.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM

25 posts, read 54,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
And disregard this. Its really wrong. Harlem begins North of Central Park and runs to 155th St. East of Fifth Ave the neighborhood is called Spanish Harlem. Washington Heights begins at 155th St and is NOT a "nighborhood in West Harlem." But Bed-Stuy is in Brooklyn.
That's not wrong. Harlem is uptown in the burrough of Manhattan, no? And by West Harlem, i meant not Spanish Harlem.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRy View Post
That's not wrong. Harlem is uptown in the burrough of Manhattan, no? And by West Harlem, i meant not Spanish Harlem.
You said Harlem is at "the upper end of Manhattan" which is different from "uptown". The upper end of Manhattan, a.k.a. the tip of the borough is where Inwood and Fort George are located.

These are small differences, but like we all know, any city can quickly change even from block to block.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:40 PM

25 posts, read 54,152 times
Ahh, I see, I was trying to make it a little clearer for someone that's never been to nyc, just in terms of geography.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM

171 posts, read 305,285 times
in 92', back when things were 'different' i moved from Charleston to Bed-Stuy, i lived in the nabe 3 years and had nary a problem. Things are different now and i wouldn't have thought twice if things were then as they are now. If your tough, street smart, and know how to blend you'll most likely be fine. I would suggest you come visit for a week before you decide to live here though.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM

41 posts, read 92,791 times
I have read that these towns were mostly black and well I am black myself lol no worries. My area here in sc is mostly black anyway. I think I will like the area, I dont expect it to be too different except I probably wont need a car.(I won't, right?) And no I am not -tough- or anything lol. I am visiting next week btw, going with my sister, I am excited. If I don't like the area they are plenty of other options to choose from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City