Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 AM

171 posts, read 305,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
So how many people in CD will call out someone for littering in the streets??
i do
last Friday, Queens bound N train, some douchebag hipster getting off in LIC leaves his lemonade cup behind, half full, it was completely on purpose. I knew it was going to happen so when he got up to exit i grabbed the cup, yelled "you forgot something" and threw his cup at him, he caught it and put it in the trash can on the platform.
Like a tough guy he flipped me the bird after the doors shut.
People on the train actually thanked me for it.
Not recommending people do that but i wasn't too worried and would have loved an excuse to wipe the platform clean with this dudes face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
I've called out people before too, sometimes they actaully have a modicum of decency and pick up their trash. Sometimes you just get a mouthful of filth to go along with their garbage. In my younger and more impulsive days I was once so incensed about some guy dropping all his fast food garbage out the window of his car as it sat at the lights I picked the whole bunch up and threw it back on his lap. He was furious, and very large, so I made off, self-preservation being more important at that point. I was laughing all the way tho.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
It isn't worth telling anyone anything, because we have created a society where nobody has any business saying anything to anyone else, and if you do you are likely to get into an altercation or worse. I usually will tell young kids to pick up their litter, but I don't say a word to adults. It is pretty clear that by the age of 25, you are well aware littering is wrong and they are doing it anyway. It is what it is.

The only time I will tell people something is if they are littering in front of my building, or not cleaning up after their dogs in front of my building. Other than that, I stay quiet.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Thats a good point - you might still be able to influence kids to do the right thing, but for adults who behave like that its too late.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It isn't worth telling anyone anything, because we have created a society where nobody has any business saying anything to anyone else, and if you do you are likely to get into an altercation or worse. I usually will tell young kids to pick up their litter, but I don't say a word to adults. It is pretty clear that by the age of 25, you are well aware littering is wrong and they are doing it anyway. It is what it is.

The only time I will tell people something is if they are littering in front of my building, or not cleaning up after their dogs in front of my building. Other than that, I stay quiet.
You silence is simply consent. Typical NYC sheeple attitude. Only comment when it directly affects you.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You silence is simply consent. Typical NYC sheeple attitude. Only comment when it directly affects you.
Typical Dung Island bonehead remark.

Keep on coming to visit, suburbanoids! Muggers are waiting.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM

I, personally, don't ever litter.

Oh, one exception: the Van Cortlandt park golf course.

Since they put up a fence to block hikers, I just heave my trash over the fence.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I almost said something today to a woman who was sitting in a parked car with a child of about 4 years old with the passenger side doors open to the sidewalk. They appeared to be waiting for the dad to come back. The woman was done with her bag of chips, so she just let it fall on the street out the open door of the car. I gave her the evil eye, and she just stared back with a more evil eye.

The dad came back and they drove off, and there is the empty chips bag, sitting on the street. So not only do we have the mom littering, the son is learning this is ok and cycle will continue.

I just don't get how people can think it's ok to do this.

When I was growing up, we were not allowed to litter, spit, swear, yell, or even chew gum in public.
I'm glad I was raised that way but it does make for so many frustrating moments when I see so many others who engage in what I consider repulsive or antisocial behavior.

A few times I have called people out on their behavior "Hey, you dropped something..." but in the end I feel like it leaves me more stressed out to do so, and possibly open to violence or harassment if they are the vindictive type.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
The other day on bx select bus, this kid couldn't have been more than 10 years old pops open the window and throws out his iced tea bottle. In my mind I slapped the sh** out of that kid.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I almost said something today to a woman who was sitting in a parked car with a child of about 4 years old with the passenger side doors open to the sidewalk. They appeared to be waiting for the dad to come back. The woman was done with her bag of chips, so she just let it fall on the street out the open door of the car. I gave her the evil eye, and she just stared back with a more evil eye.

The dad came back and they drove off, and there is the empty chips bag, sitting on the street. So not only do we have the mom littering, the son is learning this is ok and cycle will continue.

I just don't get how people can think it's ok to do this.

When I was growing up, we were not allowed to litter, spit, swear, yell, or even chew gum in public.
I'm glad I was raised that way but it does make for so many frustrating moments when I see so many others who engage in what I consider repulsive or antisocial behavior.

A few times I have called people out on their behavior "Hey, you dropped something..." but in the end I feel like it leaves me more stressed out to do so, and possibly open to violence or harassment if they are the vindictive type.
Someone who acts like that is liable to be a big time poophead in many other respects as well. I've often been tempted to say something but I don't want to get the crap kicked out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City