Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Out of curiosity what percent of the whites in Bay Ridge and and the blacks in Laurelton are foreign-born or descendents of recent immigrants. Arabs are counted as white in the census. Is a lot of the population in Bay Ridge Arab or recent Russian immigrants? And does Laurelton have a lot of Black immigrants from the Caribean.

How do the schools of both compare? Crime rates?
I did a side-by-side of the crime rates. They're equal. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
But i'm actually surprised that anybody called Laurelton/Cambria Hts a ghetto. I thought it had a pretty decent reputation on the NYC forum.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
"Ghetto" is a relative term.

Some people would call any neighborhood with a black person "ghetto". There was also a term called "golden ghetto" to describe rich black neighborhoods. I have even heard lower middle class/working class white neighborhoods described as "ghetto". The word has no singular meaning anymore.
Golden ghetto, wow, that's a new one on me.

No singular meaning, but there's nothing positive about it, though.

When people offer neighborhood advice and they freely toss around terms like "ghetto" to describe a neighborhood that has many positive qualities, it's misleading.

The other day I read a post where someone labeled Jamaica Estates this way.

See what I mean?

Last edited by queensgrl; 04-01-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know what you are talking about and this happens even in other forums on this website. Keep in mind that not so great on Long Island and even Westchester and Rockland Counties can be relative, based on dated reputations and is probably better than many, if not most school districts in this country. I've even presented information of different school districts in the state where graduation rates of Black students were higher than that of White students or there was a minimal to no gap in that regard. These schools/districts areurban and suburban districts. Some are mostly or highly Black. Some have smaller, but noticeable Black student enrollments. Some are Upstate and some are Downstate. So, it is good to do some research.

BTW- These schools have or had at least state average and up graduation rates.
OMG, i'm so glad you brought that up. Blacks in Long Island school districts tend to do far better than the national and state average.

I made an excel that shows black graduation rates compared to the graduation rates of the student bodies of a whole, in LI districts. This darn site won't let me post it as an image so here is the link;
http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd368/RoadwayRailRoad2/?action=view&current=Blackgraduationrate.jpg

The bolded is where the black graduation rate is higher than those of the other races. lol, I forgot to bold the district at the top.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 04-01-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Golden ghetto, wow, that's a new one on me.

No singular meaning, but there's nothing positive about it, though.

When people offer neighborhood advice and they free toss around the term "ghetto" to describe a neighborhood that has many positive qualities, it's misleading.

The other day I read a post where someone labeled Jamaica Estates this way.

See what I mean?
Yeah, I definitely see what you mean.

I wish people could be more straight-forward instead of throwing labels around. Instead of some users bashing the area, they could just make the OP aware of the demographics so they could make an educated decision on what best suits them.

In the LI forum, people take it to a whole different level. They have a slew of terms like "undesirable", "sketchy", "shady", "going downhill" to describe any black or diverse area even if it is affluent and has showed trends of increasing in income and education level.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Yeah, I definitely see what you mean.

I wish people could be more straight-forward instead of throwing labels around. Instead of some users bashing the area, they could just make the OP aware of the demographics so they could make an educated decision on what best suits them.

In the LI forum, people take it to a whole different level. They have a slew of terms like "undesirable", "sketchy", "shady", "going downhill" to describe any black or diverse area even if it is affluent and has showed trends of increasing in income and education level.
That's an excellent suggestion, and I wish that the moderators of these forums would be more attentive when this type of bashing is allowed to go on.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
That's an excellent suggestion, and I wish that the moderators of these forums would be more attentive when this type of bashing is allowed to go on.
Unfortunately, the moderators can't do anything about that.

That's exactly what I was discussing with one of my friends the other day. Racism is still very much alive and well, it's just evolved and taken on different forms throughout the years. Back then, racism was usually very direct and clear-cut, now it's very hard to point out and to prove. And when you do point it out, you won't have enough evidence to prove that it was actually a racial comment to begin with so you'll be made out to look like you're just "playing the race card" and being irrational.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 AM

These are some middle class neighborhoods that I think are worthy of consideration. They may not generally be offered as suggestions by others on the forum, so I toss them out as an FYI.

Laurelton
Cambria Heights
Rosedale
Queens Village
St. Albans
Hollis
Holliswood
Jamaica Estates
Jamaica Hills
East Elmhurst

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
The Long Island forum is at its own level of bias (I'm not sure if racism is the right word) and absurdity, with constant complaints that Long Island is becoming run down and crime ridden. One poster suggested going for a neighborhood where houses ran at least $500k rather have some cheaper ones, because it was less likely "undesireables" would able to move in.

Last edited by nei; 04-01-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I did a side-by-side of the crime rates. They're equal. Thoughts?
A little bit surprised; there was a thread some months ago on the forum on the forum that showed one of the middle-class Queens black nabes had a relatively high murder rate. Another didn't; can't remember which is which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City