Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:50 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

How hectic is NYC and where?

When people talk about NYC being "hectic" what exactly do they mean? I've never been to NYC only seen it on TV but I get the impression that when people talk about the "hustle & bustle" of NYC they're referring more to Manhattan specificlly,right? The other boroughs like Queens seem less hectic from what I can gather. Is life in Brooklyn as hectic in comparison to Manhattan? What about Staten Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
To me, it's a reference to the street 'ambience.' In NYC people walk. A LOT. A walk of a mile isn't a big deal, because it's usually faster to walk than, say, take a bus or, if you're going crosstown, a taxi. So we walk quickly. And get annoyed with tourists, walking four abreast, looking up and not paying attention to what's going on at ground level. We don't wait for the green lights to cross the street - we cross when there's no traffic - and lose patience with those who aren't as quick on the uptake.

It's a fast-paced city. And it has a lot to do with the huge amount of pedestrian traffic and crowded sidewalks.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:03 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Other boroughs are somewhat less hectic but still have a definite urban feel as compared to suburban living. You can walk to supermarkets, shops, restaurants, bars, etc in most NYC hoods, so the streets can be very busy and congested there too. But that's what I love about it!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,405 times
I didn't find the pace of walking too taxing. Thank goodness I had all the local advice from my favorite peanut galley on city-data NYC so I didn't immediately appear as a yokel tourist.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:59 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,405 times
Forgot to add - we were in Manhattan. 5th Avenue was a little crowded, and there were MANY tourists.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM

274 posts, read 319,948 times
Well, you certainly have very non-hectic areas of New York City in the outer-boroughs, specifically Staten Island.

As said above, New York is considered hectic because of the very large population and the people walking out.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:34 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
To me, it's a reference to the street 'ambience.' In NYC people walk. A LOT.
Yeah I've noticed that about the city. It seems NYC traffic would be a mess if more people drove instead of walked. I found it surprising that many adult New Yorkers don't own cars.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:58 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Keeping a car in NYC (which is unnecessary) requires garaging it (which is at LEAST $400/month - and that's CHEAP!), plus insurance etc, etc. Too much money. It's much easier to either rent a car or get a Zip car (which you can rent by the hour).

Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
In the outerboroughs it's easier to have a car. I only pay $84 a month car insurance with my 1996 Saturn. I live in western Queens, in a neighborhood where about 80% of houses have driveways. I don't have too much of a problem parking. In a way I'm glad I have a car, since I would feel so confined to my immediate area. With a car, I can travel to other areas in about 20 minutes, whereas it would take about 45 minutes-1 hour on a bus or subway.

But yeah, as far as the hustle and bustle...there are certain areas in the outerboroughs that have a much more relaxed feel. I'm off exit 19 on the LIE and live in a relaxed, quiet (for the most part, compared to most areas I'm sure) neighborhood.

Though I do miss the more laid-back feel of the suburbs, where I grew up. I'm looking forward to going back in a few years.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:07 PM

84 posts, read 321,020 times
I live on the Upper East side of Manhattan and don't feel the 'hustle & bustle' as much as I would say in Mid-town or Times Square areas. I avoid Times Square, 34th st (Penn Station/Macy's area) as much as possible. Those areas are overwhelming at times. Being on the Upper East is much slower pace especially being a block from Central Park which is peace and serenity in this Metropolis.
NYC is definitely a unique lifestyle having grown up in the 'burbs'. One day when I'm older I will more than likely return to that hum drum life, but for now the city is very exciting and always alive with activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: