Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:35 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times

Advertisements

All this talk about race and racism is pulling this forum down.

What I want to know is, is it possible to live amongst the Irish, Blacks, Indians, Koreans, Albanians, etc. on the same block?
Which neighborhoods of the Bronx feature diverse ethnicities?

The Bronx is a special place. It is the only borough of New York City situated on the mainland 5-0. The Bronx is geographically very small. Driving through the entire Bronx will take 15-20 minutes. It is the only borough with the prefix "the". And at this rapid rate of gentrification, it looks to be the last borough standing. I wish to see the Bronx as diverse as Queens, as proud as Brooklyn, and as lively as Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 03:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
I'm thinking of a nice block in Bedford park, say Bedford park blvd, 201st, 202nd, 203rd, 204th between the Concourse and Webster. Others may disagree however and say this area is lousy.

How about the little Norwood section between Bainbridge and Webster between Gun Hill Rd and 213th street (right by the cemetery), isn't that still holding?

Westchester Square, Kingsbridge, I picture as racially mixed harmonious areas(I could be wrong so correct me if I am because i'd like to know)

Old 09-17-2007, 04:14 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
White people are quickly fleeing all of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned. If you do find any white people in those neighborhoods they will generally be older, as it is quite rare to find white families with kids living in those neighborhoods.

There isn't much in the way of diversity in the Bronx. There are a LOT of Hispanic people (Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Mexicans) with some Black people (African-American, Jamaicans, West Africans) thrown in. There is a small white minority which makes up about 12% of the population and controls some neigbhorhood in the Northwest and Eastern parts of the Bronx. There are also some random Southeast Asians (Cambodians, Vietnamese, and Phillipinos) scattered across the bronx. There is one small Korean neighborhood on 204th st off of the Grand Concourse, but its only a couple of blocks.

Beyond that you won't find much diversity in the Bronx. Everyone sticks to their own neighborhoods.

Queens and some parts of Brooklyn are much more diverse. If you really want diversity (and better food than what we have around here) look to those areas.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
clubBR, great post.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,141 times
Van Cortlandt Village. I'd estimate it to be 45% White, 40% Hispanic, around 13% Black, and less than 2% Asian. Outside the amalgamated area (which is basically all White and always will be if the owners are as racist as they've always been rumored to be) the races live among eachother, until you get south of Giles place, when the area becomes predominately Hispanic. Actually, once you pass Giles Place, you're no longer in VCV, but in Southern Kingsbridge Heights. I'm not sure whether the Whites or the Hispanics are growing faster, but KH is extremely diverse for a Bronx neighborhood.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 PM

11 posts, read 59,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
All this talk about race and racism is pulling this forum down.

What I want to know is, is it possible to live amongst the Irish, Blacks, Indians, Koreans, Albanians, etc. on the same block?
Which neighborhoods of the Bronx feature diverse ethnicities?

The Bronx is a special place. It is the only borough of New York City situated on the mainland 5-0. The Bronx is geographically very small. Driving through the entire Bronx will take 15-20 minutes. It is the only borough with the prefix "the". And at this rapid rate of gentrification, it looks to be the last borough standing. I wish to see the Bronx as diverse as Queens, as proud as Brooklyn, and as lively as Manhattan.
It is my hope to see the Bronx as it once was the gem of this city. (now i know that is dreaming). But our borough has a rich history and has amzing details of its past all over.

Now as for your OP of diversity i dont about that in the Bx now if you really want to see diversity you can go to Astoria; on a block by block basis ethnic make ups change, amazing....

Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
I agree that there is not as much diversity in the Bronx as I would like to see. There are some communities in the Northern and Eastern Bronx that are more diverse (aka there are white people there) however I don't really qualify that as diverse just because there are some italians around. I do believe that there is now alot more interest from those outside the borough contemplating a move to the Bronx, as anyone that has posted an apt for rent/or roommate ad quickly learns.

Diversity is coming to the Bronx, as its former reputation is now inaccurate, inappropriate, and unjustified.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
White people are quickly fleeing all of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned. If you do find any white people in those neighborhoods they will generally be older, as it is quite rare to find white families with kids living in those neighborhoods.
I disagree with you Mead (speaking as a relatively young white person in Bedford Park). The neighborhood is mostly non-white, but white people are not uncommon or rare, although they are a minority. From what I can tell, everyone gets along pretty well.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I do believe that there is now alot more interest from those outside the borough contemplating a move to the Bronx, as anyone that has posted an apt for rent/or roommate ad quickly learns.

Diversity is coming to the Bronx, as its former reputation is now inaccurate, inappropriate, and unjustified.
I agree, as this was our experience renting out an apartment.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Well I'm in my early 20s, and when I go walking around Norwood or Bedford Park I'm generally the only white person around. When I do see some white person its usually an older Irish man or woman. Thats just from my perspective though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I disagree with you Mead (speaking as a relatively young white person in Bedford Park). The neighborhood is mostly non-white, but white people are not uncommon or rare, although they are a minority. From what I can tell, everyone gets along pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City