Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
meh...are they using this to distract from the fact that it took nearly 12 years to get it up, when in fact it only took 6 years to get the first two up?
Construction started in 2006, so that is six years. But, it's not finished yet and won't be for another year+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That doesn't make any sense, though. Decisions like real estate deals can only be made by the Board of Commissioners, who don't get paid. They are political appointees, so that tells you something right there, and I doubt they are poverty-stricken, but they don't get salaries to be Commissioners, immense or otherwise.

The cops who get all that overtime don't decide to build real estate, hehehe.

Psst,
A BRIBE is not pay. It's a little something extra that arrives in a black bag and is tax-free.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Psst,
A BRIBE is not pay. It's a little something extra that arrives in a black bag and is tax-free.
My point exactly. You're the one who called it "salaries". Or were you just being formal?

Besides, they're all political appointees and politicians and real estate developers and big bankers are all in the same big happy family.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM

240 posts, read 621,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Welcoming news! Great to see it in the skyline, Though we can never get back what we have lost as a whole, It's great to see progress and a symbol of strength.

One World Trade Center surpassed Empire State as NY's tallest building - latimes.com

Great ..ANOTHER easy-to-hit target!

If I were you guys, I'd make sure there's a nice expensive mosque occupying the top 10 stories ..as insurance!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
My point exactly. You're the one who called it "salaries". Or were you just being formal?

Besides, they're all political appointees and politicians and real estate developers and big bankers are all in the same big happy family.

I meant that it's a combination of both. Good salaries by high ranking PATH officers are guaranteed by continued expansion, much like generals earn more and more if there's a steady stream of wars. Good salaries even trickle down (or dribble down) to ironworkers and bricklayers with a steady stream of makeshift buildings whether useful or not.

The big BRIBES go to the decision makers....who can become multimillionaires taking "$1 a year salary."

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-04-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Great ..ANOTHER easy-to-hit target!

If I were you guys, I'd make sure there's a nice expensive mosque occupying the top 10 stories ..as insurance!
If we took that way of thinking, we have no more battle ships after pearl harbor, no airplanes after lockibee (sp), tall buildings would of ceased everywhere after 93 incident or even oaklahoma and Tim Mcvey

Build em bigger stronger better.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
If we took that way of thinking, we have no more battle ships after pearl harbor, no airplanes after lockibee (sp), tall buildings would of ceased everywhere after 93 incident or even oaklahoma and Tim Mcvey

And then we could have built an infrastructure that actually WORKS instead of wasting fortunes on useless nonsense merely because it's BIGGER. Hey, if one is stuck with a small penis, it doesn't get larger by building a big batttleship...or a useless, unwanted office tower.

A plus to not squandering money on BIGNESS is that we might not be $15 TRILLION in debt today.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 AM

18 posts, read 80,039 times
I don't like this new design. Too weird, nothing like New York. New York is graceful. This look like Turkish style (not that anything's wrong with Turkey). If I wanted to make a statement, I would build the same exact towers. But I'd build a park with a museum instead.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
I don't like this new design. Too weird, nothing like New York. New York is graceful. This look like Turkish style (not that anything's wrong with Turkey). If I wanted to make a statement, I would build the same exact towers. But I'd build a park with a museum instead.
Well, you've already got the park/memorial plaza/trees with the museum, in addition, not instead.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM

18 posts, read 80,039 times
Quote:
Well, you've already got the park/memorial plaza/trees with the museum, in addition, not instead.
Yeah, I guess, but the design still seems out-of-place somewhat. Reminds me of the modern London skyline, which I think is utterly tasteless.

Edit: I guess I'm biased because I saw the towers fall with my own eyes. I wish they built the same exact towers. Somehow it seems to me that the people, who died there would rest in piece if the original towers were back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City