Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times

Advertisements

NYC wants to increase the tourist trade, yet Bloomberg who has crowned himself King of NYC, continues to make rules and regulations that should be left to the individual. He banned smoking in parks, beaches, etc., because his mother died of cancer) has set ridiculous regulations on restaurants, huge taxes on hotels and his latest is to ban soft drinks over 16 oz. Considering tourism is needed to keep NYC afloat his continued edicts only force them to go someplace else. How is Bloomberg able to make rules and regulations that he decides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,163 times
I'm cool with the ban. Not a big deal.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
It's a Commie plot to force everyone to drink aspartame, Truvia, and Splenda.

They aren't saying a thing, I notice, about the high levels of salt and other even more damaging ingredients in 'soda pop'. Nor about the overweight glutton who eats two large tubs of popcorn, six big moviehouse boxes of candy, two trays of nacho cheese chips, and then washes it all down with a "diet" soda...

Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM

824 posts, read 2,790,980 times
Can't as NY'ers we agree that at the dawn of the 21st Century, that the biggest issue facing us is the size of sodas?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 AM

52 posts, read 88,858 times
It sounds a bit silly to me. What's to stop people from simply ordering two 16oz drinks instead of one?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I'm cool with the ban. Not a big deal.

Well someone sure sounds like a big government liberal don't they...

Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,163 times
Lol...def not a liberal.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
Actually he did say alot about salt in foods, as well as transfats (they are banned now thanks to him). While I agree that we should be FREE to eat/drink/do whatever we want, the problem is this:

We now live in a society where the government (aka taxpayers) must pay for you and your choices. When you eat/drink high fat/high calorie foods and have a heart attack at 45 and are now "disabled", the government (aka taxpayers) provide you money (disability check, SSI check), pay for your housing, and all your medical care FOR LIFE. What happened to all that freedom again...now everyone has to take care of you. You only want freedom when it is convenient for you, and so long as there is no risk/responsibility/repurcussions. That is not freedom that is a fantasy.

If you guarantee that you will not receive any government support for your choices, nobody will restrict you from not wearing a seat belt, drinking 3 bottles of 2 liter Pepsi's a day, or eating salt packets for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Otherwise, we all have a vested interest in you improving your health and taking care of yourself as we are all stuck with the aftermath.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I think it is ridiculous that we have these laws dictating to us about the amount of soda we can consume. Of course we can have 2 sodas if need be thus paying for it.

Personally, I don't drink soda, but it should be up to the individual to choose the amount he wishes to drink, not the Mayor.

This is also going for helmets when riding a bicycle, I don't want to wear one, and I'm not....I don't need a law telling me I have to.

I think it is time for Bloomberg to go. This dictatorship is really going a bit too far.

America, land of the free.................um, really?????

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM

455 posts, read 651,549 times
With all the other important issues in this city:
the always active drug trade,
the never ending arrival of illegal immigrants,
the failing school system,
the high unemployment,
and the list can go on.

He picks soda pop to combat. Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City