Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:17 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,828,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well the LL offered a buyout, then tenant declined. He has that right. But, now the tenant is ready and offered to take a buyout at a higher amount??? at the tenants amount?, what nerve...
I agree... he does NOT have the right to expect MORE...but he should be able to expect the same or less.
Im not saying he should get more. That's insane.
Whats more insane is u saying he has no right to even ask for ANY type of offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,336,592 times
Ok, so maybe this is some type of naivety on my part (I've never been a renter in NYC, went straight from living at home to owning) but why on earth don't people just take the buyout when it's offered the first time around? I can't imagine that these [rent controlled/stabilized???] apartments are that stellar. Or is it that the rent is really THAT cheap that you'd turn down a nice lump of money to just find someplace else? If I had a decent job, meaning that I can afford 40x rent and live in a decent neighborhood, and was renting a crappy apartment, (and I am assuming that these rent controlled/stabilized apartments probably are), and someone offered me $50K to move, you better believe I would take it! Well, first I'd try and negotiate for more LOL, but I really wouldn't have to think too hard about taking the money. Yeah, it would be a different story if you owned the apt and someone was trying to strong-arm you out it if, but you're just borrowing it. How can you be so attached to something that you don't own that if someone gives you money to leave, you don't take it?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 AM

It's not that easy for everybody.
50k wont get you too far in Manhattan.
After moving expenses, uprooting your life and finding an apt FAST, it may be smarter just to stay.
I didn't get nearly 50k...but I left NY state, so it went further.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
It's not that easy for everybody.
50k wont get you too far in Manhattan.
After moving expenses, uprooting your life and finding an apt FAST, it may be smarter just to stay.
I didn't get nearly 50k...but I left NY state, so it went further.
Yeah but it doesn't take $50K, or anywhere near that amount, to move. And don't people usually start looking for a new place about 30 days out anyway? Are they buying you out with 5 days notice or something? I have a friend that's moved damn near every year she's been in NYC (she's been here for nearly 10 years and has lived in 6 or 7 apts) and it never seems to take her very long to find something in her price range and move. Now, I understand her case is extreme but the case of a buyout, extra money is extra money. You may say that $50K (or $24K in your case) doesn't go far, but it's extra money that you did not have previously. If I won $25K in the lotto, I can think of many things to do with it: pay off bills, remodel my kitchen, or just save it/invest it...

Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM

18,492 posts, read 31,705,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I agree... he does NOT have the right to expect MORE...but he should be able to expect the same or less.
Im not saying he should get more. That's insane.
Whats more insane is u saying he has no right to even ask for ANY type of offer.

He doesn't, he doesn't have that right. It was asked and answered already, tenant shouldn't get or deserve a second chance. Tough tough tough tough tough !!!

The LL offered, he declined because it wasn't convenient to the tenant, well, now it isn't convenient for the LL.

I wouldn't offer the tenant squat, because he is not entitled to anything.

that basically falls under the catagory of TOUGH !!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,261,365 times
Since the tenant initiated the buyout conversation with the landlord, a savy landlord would pick up on that, hinting that the tenant has intentions of moving regardless of a buyout or not. If I were the landlord I would offer the tenant ZERO and bank that he's moving out on his own. Worse cases scenario I'd offer significantly less than my previous offer. Take it or leave it buddy!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM

I see a pretty clear POV distinction between renters and owners (and the owners don't necessarily have to be landlords). I just asked a co-worker about being bought out- he said he wouldn't do it "unless he was already planning to move." I was trying to grasp his POV but couldn't because I'm just not in that frame of mind. How are people so attached to something they don't own? It's one thing if you are strapped for cash can can not afford more than what you're paying for with a rent controlled place but if you're not? Especially if you can easily afford a place that's 2X more and still have room to save each month. Take the cash and move! I will say this though, the tenant is certainly not entitled to any money but there is no harm [or shame] him/her asking. My philosophy is to just ask because you never know...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,397,185 times
They are not attached to anything, other than money. They believe they are entitled to extort money from a Landlord, so even if they want to move and can afford an apt 3x as much...they will extort the Landlord. It's really sad...I don't understand how alot of people sleep at night.

But one thing is for sure..Karma is a b*@&$

Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,261,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
They are not attached to anything, other than money. They believe they are entitled to extort money from a Landlord, so even if they want to move and can afford an apt 3x as much...they will extort the Landlord. It's really sad...I don't understand how alot of people sleep at night.

But one thing is for sure..Karma is a b*@&$
Yes...karma is!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM

I think you guys are just mad that landlords resort to offering buy outs in the first place.

Remember...in both cases, mine and the OP....the landlord initiated the entire conversation.

Mine worked out and I hope his does too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City