Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
To answer both of you:

The Lettered lines have cars that are longer and wider. 60ft-6inches long and 10 feet wide. Certain subway cars, specifically on the A, B, D, G, and R are 75 feet long and 10 feet wide. Both with 4 doors each side.

Cars on the numbered lines (And The Grand Central S line which is referred to internally as the 0) are 9ft. wide and 51ft long with three doors each side.

The cars on the 4/5/6 are the R142 and R142A subway cars that were introduced from 1999-2003/4ish.

The cars on the L line are the R143 which improved on the R142/A. Introduced between 2001 and 2003.

The cars on the E, F, J, L, M, N, Q, Z lines are the R160. These are the newest cars in service and were introduced between 2006 and 2010/11ish.

Future cars include the R179 for the J and C. As well as the R188s for the 7 line. Most of the R188s will be converted R142As from the 6 and the 6 will receive the older but still reliable R62As from the 7.
Thanks for the very interesting information! So... I used to take the M and J, now I take the
N and F, all relatively new cars. But now you mention R188 for the 7 line. I WANT R188!!! *lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 PM

59 posts, read 99,797 times
Don't know about most subway lines but I used to take the D to work and back for years and I always saw the same kids selling candy (THEY CALL ME THE CANDYMAN), young breakdancers, mexican bands and the usual panhandlers (the same guys everyday). I moved to Washington Heights a few weeks ago (used to live in the Norwood section of the Bronx) and now I take the A to work and the ride is almost always quiet. No panhandlers, breakdancers..nothing.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think you are putting way too much thought into this, just put it into Google Maps and take whatever train it says to take....they really aren't that scary....just don't eat anything you drop on the ground.
I agree. I think you're putting WAY too much thought into this. There is really no reason at all to go out of your way (as in take a longer than necessary trip) just to ride newer trains. Plus some of the "dirtier" stations are some of the cooler ones with a ton of history and original details. Dirty does not necessarily=unsafe. Especially in that area of Manhattan.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Before I go anywhere, I search google street view to look at the sidewalks to see how much gum is stuck on them. After the gum drops on the ground and the dirt gets in there, it's just like having small puddles of black goo everywhere you look.

I find that with a few hours of research on google streetview before every time I go out, I am able to avoid the blocks that have the most gum goo, even if I have to make a detour of 6 blocks in order to avoid one bad gum-goo block. It's really worth it. I highly recommend my method.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
If the alterrnative is sitting in a car in a traffic jam and then being unable to find a place to PUT the car and then to pay annual insurance, weekly gasoline, daily tolls and MORE traffic jams, I'll take the subways every time.

As grimy and unsavory as the NY subway system can get, it is by far the best alternative for getting around.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Before I go anywhere, I search google street view to look at the sidewalks to see how much gum is stuck on them. After the gum drops on the ground and the dirt gets in there, it's just like having small puddles of black goo everywhere you look.

I find that with a few hours of research on google streetview before every time I go out, I am able to avoid the blocks that have the most gum goo, even if I have to make a detour of 6 blocks in order to avoid one bad gum-goo block. It's really worth it. I highly recommend my method.
You're missing the part about me being basically on vacation and experiencing NY for the first time. Right now, "out of the way" is not really a phrase that applies to me. Wherever I go is a new experience. Just looking to avoid any unpleasant, unnecessary stuff.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
You're missing the part about me being basically on vacation and experiencing NY for the first time. Right now, "out of the way" is not really a phrase that applies to me. Wherever I go is a new experience. Just looking to avoid any unpleasant, unnecessary stuff.
Well I hate to break it to you, but New York has an old city funk to it, if you want to experience the city without the "dirtiness" take cabs where ever you go and just stick to the touristy parts of the city and you will totally avoid anything that is unpleasant.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
So, I'm headed to a restaurant by 58th and Madison Ave. Coming from Ave. A and 3rd st in the East Village. Given that I'm fine with doing more walking once I get up in that part of town since it will be new to me, what route would you all take? Biggest criteria being cleaner cars and stations and second biggest criteria being convenience. I've been on the M and nothing else ever. Obviously the MTA site isn't going to share much with regard to what the dirtier trains and stations are...
All the stations are dirty that I've seen. I imagine there's a "showcase" clean station somewhere in the system, but I don't use it. For that route the choices are the 4/5/6 line and the F. The 4/5/6 is clean enough, but it's always packed, so I would take the F.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM

86 posts, read 306,851 times
The OP was a troll. He made the topic and then left.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
No, I'm not missing that part. If you were just a tourist, and billing yourself as such, ok, I can understand trying to avoid "dirty" subway lines... I guess, although I would still think it's a bit odd.

But you're billing yourself as someone who is about to move here. So it's very, very weird for you to be posting all these threads about not being able to live with dirt, trash, dirty subway stations, or whatever dirt thing you have on your mind, and trying to only ride on subway lines that are cleaner than the others!

NYC is not a particularly clean city, especially when you have to travel by subway and if you don't have the money to live in a clean, shiny tower in the most upscale area of the city and call your driver every time you want to go out. You already indicated you don't have the wealth or income to be one of those people.

So if you think you are going to be moving here, stop all the ridiculousness about trying to find areas where you can avoid dirt. It just makes you look naive, and phobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City