Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 21,500 times

Advertisements

well then the preception of hunts point has to change. Hunts point and longwood will never change.. no matter how many parks you open, no matter how many new buildings you put up, no matter if you tear down an expressway. It just will not happen

Hunts point is a very dangerious place. It has been that way for 30+ years. ( I know first hand). The only reason why people even venture down there is for the markets (vegtable, fish, and meat stores) or the hookers. I remember as a kid seeing a hooker pulling a trick between a parked car and fence. This has not changed.

Cops are even afraid to go into the point at night. Mott Haven has a better chance of becomming safe then the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 AM

10 posts, read 21,500 times
oh and as far as the east village comment.. your talking about a different world. The east village became the way it is now because of night clubs and hipsters comming into the neighborhoods looking for a good deal in manhattan. We are talking about the bronx here.. LOL

Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I could not disagree more cjg, and you do not know what you are tlaking about. How could you possibly believe that a neighborhood will "never change." That is a ridiculous statement that is not only wrong, but based on what exactly? The reality is that the investments in communities like Hunts Point are the reason why NYC is so much better overall and crime is way down. The new buildings, parks, businesses, trees, artists, and environmental incubator that Hunts Point has become has vastly improved the community, dropped the crime rate, and is paving the way for innovation and further investment. It is the community that is in fact driving these changes, and Hunts Point's green initiatives are being watched closely by the city, including green rooves. And the idea that "even cops are afraid to go to the point" is pure and utter nonsense and nothing more than rhetoric. The police station is along the Bruckner in fact...which is virtually IN the point!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,703,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg05 View Post
well then the preception of hunts point has to change. Hunts point and longwood will never change.. no matter how many parks you open, no matter how many new buildings you put up, no matter if you tear down an expressway. It just will not happen

Hunts point is a very dangerious place. It has been that way for 30+ years. ( I know first hand). The only reason why people even venture down there is for the markets (vegtable, fish, and meat stores) or the hookers. I remember as a kid seeing a hooker pulling a trick between a parked car and fence. This has not changed.

Cops are even afraid to go into the point at night. Mott Haven has a better chance of becomming safe then the point.
I don't think that cops are afraid to go to Hunts Point at night because Cops surely go to the point at night to make sure that there aren't illegal street races taking place.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
look, i have known that neighborhood for over 30 years. you can build all the parks you want. but if the people living there just dont care about thier kids playing outside with prostitutes selling themselves and drug dealer's selling drugs right in front of them then the the neighborhood will never change. the crime rate will never come down. i know these people are low income but that is no excuse. on any given day you can drive though that neighborhood and see the people, talking and hanging with the pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers like they are best friends. and this is not from what i just think it is from what i have seen over the past 30 years. i am a born and raised new yorker and does not continue in an area that does not want it. i can name several areas which have been cleaned up simply because the people there will not tolerate it.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank724 View Post
look, i have known that neighborhood for over 30 years. you can build all the parks you want. but if the people living there just dont care about thier kids playing outside with prostitutes selling themselves and drug dealer's selling drugs right in front of them then the the neighborhood will never change. the crime rate will never come down. i know these people are low income but that is no excuse. on any given day you can drive though that neighborhood and see the people, talking and hanging with the pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers like they are best friends. and this is not from what i just think it is from what i have seen over the past 30 years. i am a born and raised new yorker and does not continue in an area that does not want it. i can name several areas which have been cleaned up simply because the people there will not tolerate it.
Theres still prostitutes on Hunts Point, Hunts Point prostititution is dead now a days. I think the whole Bronx Prostitution game is only big around ST James Park near Fordham, Hot Avenue and East Tremont and on Boston Road in Baychester!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
On the whole, the Bronx is a cesspool of garbage. I'm being serious.

At 8 in the morning you'll see able bodied men up and playing music/dominoes. They don't want better.
Living off of the system and in the ghetto of the Bronx is enough for them. Those that do want better, try and move out.

I tend to agree with those saying it'll never change. Why? Look at the economic realities of this city. There's a lot of wealth but also a lot of poverty. The poor have to go somewhere and with the extensive government welfare programs of the City, the poor ain't fleeing. It's better to be poor in NYC than in Mississippi.

Reality dictates that we must have neighborhoods like Hunts Point. If you truly believe it'll change then you also believe that the poverty/crime will simply be transferred to another area.Where? This is a zero sum game. Especially during these poor economic times.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 09-29-2011 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Better HUNTs POINT NOw! View Post
Hustla and Guywithacause both have good points.But please look at it this way...im originally from the east village...once a mecca for drug dealers prostitues and everything bad...but once the right things started happening like opening parks and making the quailty of life better ,the neighborhood florished...Yes alot of it now has to do with gentrafication...but it all started with the people and a few little changes.HUnts Point will soon be the sameway.
All that happened was that the poverty/crime were transferred to other areas.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Glad to see you are back complaining about the Bronx wawawee. You had a terrible experience growing up in abject, generational poverty and "made it out." Congratulations! So why spend all your time bashing it now that you are gone? Haven't you moved on to "bigger and better"????

As for your specific comments, you WONT find "able bodied men playing Dominos at 8am"...I mean really..so silly. Just cuz your uncles/cousins/friends did that on your block don't make it the norm.

And as for the poverty not fleeing...well the answer to your question is this: Where did you flee to?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As for your specific comments, you WONT find "able bodied men playing Dominos at 8am"...I mean really..so silly. Just cuz your uncles/cousins/friends did that on your block don't make it the norm.

Are you honestly gonna sit there and claim that this doesn't happen every day in this city? A sizable amount in the Bronx alone? Let's not be silly here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City