Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM

115 posts, read 306,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Here's a thought...how about NOT smoking a joint? Is that so hard to do and understand?
I'm not saying smoke a joint because that is illegal. I can see the point of my post clearly went over your head. The point is that someone can be on "harder" drugs and still pass a drug test, which is a serious flaw in the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
I'm not saying smoke a joint because that is illegal. I can see the point of my post clearly went over your head. The point is that someone can be on "harder" drugs and still pass a drug test, which is a serious flaw in the system.
No law is perfect. However drug testing welfare people is necessary to make sure our tax dollars are not contributing to the person's addiction. End of story.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 PM

115 posts, read 306,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
No law is perfect. However drug testing welfare people is necessary to make sure our tax dollars are not contributing to the person's addiction. End of story.
I am actually agreeing with you that tax dollars should not be used for person's addictions. But you don't seem to comprehend that because of the flawed system, tax dollars would still be used for people with addictions, whether it be in the form of alcohol, pills, or cocaine. A person who may have smoked a joint with their OWN money before they went on welfare could fail a drug test because it stays in your system for so long. But a coke head can pass the test if they abstain for a day or two. That is what is wrong with the system. The drug testing system either needs to be seriously overhauled which would cost more tax dollars, or eliminated completely. What is so hard to understand about that?

This is like talking to a brick wall I and won't be commenting further on this subject.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
I am actually agreeing with you that tax dollars should not be used for person's addictions. But you don't seem to comprehend that because of the flawed system, tax dollars would still be used for people with addictions, whether it be in the form of alcohol, pills, or cocaine. A person who may have smoked a joint with their OWN money before they went on welfare could fail a drug test because it stays in your system for so long. But a coke head can pass the test if they abstain for a day or two. That is what is wrong with the system. The drug testing system either needs to be seriously overhauled which would cost more tax dollars, or eliminated completely. What is so hard to understand about that?

This is like talking to a brick wall I and won't be commenting further on this subject.
It would have to be random so they wouldn't know when it's coming.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
It would have to be random so they wouldn't know when it's coming.
This.

The other thing is a urine test isn't foolproof. Even methadone clinics where you have to show up every day and submit a clean sample is not foolproof. How many people ask someone else to supply clean urine for them because they won't pass a drug test?

As for marijuana, if they made it legal already, it wouldn't be an issue. It's already legal for medicinal purposes.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Smoking weed is yes, still illegal. I think it's not a major issue but if it's illegal, it's illegal. Plus, why are you spending money to get high when you could be using that on food or maybe supporting your child screaming in the other room?

Nothing is foolproof but we can agree we need to do everything we can to ensure that the leeches and drug addicts aren't abusing the system. Yes, people will fall through the cracks. We have to ensure random drug tests. No show up to this place at this time so they can try to fool the test. Someone shows up, hands you a container, they watch you the whole time, then they test. If anything shows up, it's reported. That may help with all these scammers trying to get synthetic pee or flushing.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
people are petty as ish.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
It really isn't practical to prevent people from having children. Reproduction is a primary biological urge, sometimes superceding that towards survival (I've certainly done some poisonously stupid things while attempting to satisfy it)

I'm not terribly delighted with the idea of people on the dole popping out bambinos either, but, how would one prevent them from doing so?

Just about everything I can think of would be a really egregious assault on human dignity. Ever hear of the "Eugenics Movement?"

The cure is worse than the disease.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
It really isn't practical to prevent people from having children. Reproduction is a primary biological urge, sometimes superceding that towards survival (I've certainly done some poisonously stupid things while attempting to satisfy it)

I'm not terribly delighted with the idea of people on the dole popping out bambinos either, but, how would one prevent them from doing so?

Just about everything I can think of would be a really egregious assault on human dignity. Ever hear of the "Eugenics Movement?"

The cure is worse than the disease.
I agree. You have stated it more clearly.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
In this economy many people have fallen on hard times and need government assistance when they haven't in the past. So demanding that these people take drug tests is a waste of taxpayers' money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City