Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
NYC is the most diverse than any city I have been to. Those maps that Hustla don't prove anything. Just walk most of NYC neighborhoods. Yeah there are areas where blacks and whites seem to be the most, but that is changing with time. Back in the day I will say NYC was very segragated.
Sure, lets all listen to cyrusjul...

NYC is very diverse in terms of how many different ethnicities live within city limits.

HOWEVER, the city is still VERY segregated.

Read what I posted, over 80% of Blacks would need to move into White neighborhoods just to desegregated Black to White neighborhoods. It's not going to change any time soon, in fact immigrants that move into NYC are only setting up their own segregated pockets.

Sorry to disappoint you, but those maps prove A LOT.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-30-2007 at 09:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Lux

6 posts, read 10,158 times
"NYC is among the most segregated cities in the USA. It would take HUGE population shifts to desegregate NYC."

In my area, 99.99999 lol are middle class black americans and other black groups. However there are places that are mixed with different groups of people. For instance, Queens Village on one side is mixed with whites and black americans and other non white groups while the other side is mostly blacks americans and other black groups.

Queens is one of the most diverse cities in the world...u can find almost every nationality in the book.. How can u live in NYC and not be exposed to other groups? Impossible.

"Also, more lower income people tend to be racist, becuase more low income people tend to have more social problems."

Social problems tend to make you bitter not racist. You have to have some type of power over another person or a group of people to be racist….poor people do not fit that description.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:15 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Sure, lets all listen to cyrusjul
The truthest thing you said so far. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:22 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
"NYC is among the most segregated cities in the USA. It would take HUGE population shifts to desegregate NYC."

In my area, 99.99999 lol are middle class black americans and other black groups. However there are places that are mixed with different groups of people. For instance, Queens Village on one side is mixed with whites and black americans and other non white groups while the other side is mostly blacks americans and other black groups.

Queens is one of the most diverse cities in the world...u can find almost every nationality in the book.. How can u live in NYC and not be exposed to other groups? Impossible.

"Also, more lower income people tend to be racist, becuase more low income people tend to have more social problems."

Social problems tend to make you bitter not racist. You have to have some type of power over another person or a group of people to be racist….poor people do not fit that description.
Queens is diverse considering there are many different peoples in Queens borough limits but it's still segregated. Look at Far Rockaway, Queens. The South Side Jamaica. Hollis. Cambria Heights. South Ozone Park. All are OVERWELMINGLY BLACK. Look at North Queens minus the Corona/East Elmhurst, Jackson Heights Latino areas. It's OVERWHELMINGLY WHITE with some Asian pockets also segregated.

What about the other 4 boroughs?

There is also Manhattan. Where it's overwhelmingly White south of E 96th/W 110th (Minus Chinatown and the PJ's), Latino north of that with a Black pocket in Central Harlem.

The Bronx, overwhemingly Latino. Huge all Black pocket in the Northeast Bronx. Whites make up two small pockets in the far east and far northwest.

Staten Island? All White minus the PJ's and a few pockets.

Brooklyn? Northeast Brooklyn is heavily Black. Latin pocket in Bushwick, Cypress Hills, Coney Island and a smaller one in Sunset Park. The rest is all White.

NYC is VERY segregated.

As for low income people, more low income people are living segregated then those with higher incomes. That means they are more are likely to be racist. People who grow up in segregated areas are more likely to be racist then those who grew up in diverse areas. More poor live in segregated communities then other economic groups.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:57 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times
I think a major point is that alot of people try to say that NYC is the "most" diverse of any city (which may be and probably is true) but i think some people are just saying, "why do you need to be the most diverse"....or "who cares who the most diverse is really?"....what makes NYC better than Chicago when it comes to diversity?.......Its not like you are going to pick up on and learn each and every little thing about every culture that lives in your city and then take that knowledge to Chicago and say that they only know 75% of what you know.....this isnt "Feed the world" or 'Live Aid" where we need to help every single country by knowing thier culture.....i understand that diversity is a good thing because it helps you to break barriers in knowing that another culture sees life in the same way as your culture regarding being able to support your family and wanting the best things for your family.....but i can learn about Cubans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Colombians, Russians, and alot of other cultures by living in Miami...so why would i want the diversity of knowing about all the cultures that NYC has or the world has when all of the cultures arent in my own community......i really dont care about how people from Turkey live while living in Miami because it isnt a part of everyday life in Miami......and just because NYC has the most diversity ...well that only means that you will know more of how to treat people in your community.....if you move somewhere else they dont give a crap about Ethiopians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City