Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 28,220 times

Advertisements

I would love input from some of the experts in this forum regarding picking out a development for my grandmother, uncle, aunt and child. They currently live in Bensonhurst Brooklyn and they knew chances are there are not going to get a development in that area. They qualify for a 3 bedroom. Their priority code is W2, Income Tier is Tier II, Accessible Qualification is Regular and LLC Flag is Y. I'm not sure what this all means but wanted to be as detailed as possible.

The Development Selection List is,

BROOKLYN
Howard - E New York & Rockaway Aves
Kingsborough - Pacific St. & Ralph Ave
Langston Hughes - Sutter Ave & Mother Gaston Blvd
Linden - Can Siclen & Wortman Aves
Marcus Garvey - Amboy St & E New York Ave
Pink - Crescent St & Linden Blvd
Seth Low - Belmont& Powell Aves
Tilden - Rockaway & Dumont Aves
Unity Plaza - Blake & Alabama Aves
Van Dyke I - Blake & Powell Aves

MANHATTAN
Audubon Apartments - W 155th St & Amsterdam Ave
East River - E 105th St & First Ave
Manhattanville - W 126th St & Broadway

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM

431 posts, read 659,273 times
Audubon Apartments - W 155th St & Amsterdam Ave- this building is the worst...

Noisy building and drug dealers control the building.

Weed smoking all day long. The smell will come into you apartment. It's horrible.

There has been a lot of shooting at night in the area. Not really safe to come home at night.

If your family wants to live in Manhattan I would pick East River - E 105th St & First Ave.

Last edited by mesa1974; 07-26-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
Audubon Apartments - W 155th St & Amsterdam Ave- this building is the worst...

Noisy building and drug dealers control the building.

Weed smoking all day long. The smell will come into you apartment. It's horrible.

There has been a lot of shooting at night in the area. Not really safe to come home at night.

If your family wants to live in Manhattan I would pick East River - E 105th St & First Ave.
Mesa - Thanks for the response. I think my grandmother is leaning towards East River as well. Its unfortunate she couldn't get anything in midtown or downtown Manhattan as it would be much more covenient for her.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcommando View Post
I would love input from some of the experts in this forum regarding picking out a development for my grandmother, uncle, aunt and child. They currently live in Bensonhurst Brooklyn and they knew chances are there are not going to get a development in that area. They qualify for a 3 bedroom. Their priority code is W2, Income Tier is Tier II, Accessible Qualification is Regular and LLC Flag is Y. I'm not sure what this all means but wanted to be as detailed as possible.

The Development Selection List is,

BROOKLYN
Howard - E New York & Rockaway Aves
Kingsborough - Pacific St. & Ralph Ave
Langston Hughes - Sutter Ave & Mother Gaston Blvd
Linden - Can Siclen & Wortman Aves
Marcus Garvey - Amboy St & E New York Ave
Pink - Crescent St & Linden Blvd
Seth Low - Belmont& Powell Aves
Tilden - Rockaway & Dumont Aves
Unity Plaza - Blake & Alabama Aves
Van Dyke I - Blake & Powell Aves

MANHATTAN
Audubon Apartments - W 155th St & Amsterdam Ave
East River - E 105th St & First Ave
Manhattanville - W 126th St & Broadway

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I can only comment on Manhattanville. I would avoid it, although I think the population will change in the coming years.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I can only comment on Manhattanville. I would avoid it, although I think the population will change in the coming years.
Thanks Harlem Resident! I've been reading that most Manhattan developments have pretty substantial waiting list. Can anyone shed some light on this. I would hate for my grandmother to select a development and have to wait 5 years for it.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 9,567 times
Default Waiting period is long

A w
aiting period of five years would be a brief waiting period for NYCHA today. I waited 6 years and had given up all hope and that was some years ago when the waiting period was as long as it is today.

Senior buildings probably have a bigger turn-over due to natyral deaths of the elderly.

There are more people on the waiting list for apartments than NYCHA has apartments. In other words for every apartment NYCHA has there is one person or family on the list already. Fewer people move away when income increases because of high cost of apartment rentals.

It will not harm your grandmother to apply but she should understand the waiting time is long. Having a medical condition and low income does not give priority status.

Good lu
ck to your grandmother.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonFisk View Post
A w
aiting period of five years would be a brief waiting period for NYCHA today. I waited 6 years and had given up all hope and that was some years ago when the waiting period was as long as it is today.

Senior buildings probably have a bigger turn-over due to natyral deaths of the elderly.

There are more people on the waiting list for apartments than NYCHA has apartments. In other words for every apartment NYCHA has there is one person or family on the list already. Fewer people move away when income increases because of high cost of apartment rentals.

It will not harm your grandmother to apply but she should understand the waiting time is long. Having a medical condition and low income does not give priority status.

Good lu
ck to your grandmother.
Thanks for the insight.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM

Anyone with any experiences with the East River Development or have a general idea about the waiting list?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I would actually choose Manhattanville because it's close to a lot of retail and transportation, it's in a very convenient location. Nothing on the list in Brooklyn is even remotely desirable. I've been to Manhattanville a few times, night and day time, and I've been to much worse projects than that. So it looked fine to me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Thanks SeventhFloor. After bring my grandmother to both Manhattanville and East River, she chose East River. Now hopefully the wait isn't too long, but will keep everyone posted on the process this way it can be a gauge for someone else down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City