Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:25 AM

20 posts, read 39,679 times

Advertisements

Hi. My girlfriend had a few really good job offers from hospitals in NYC. She is a neuropsychologist(brain doctor, but not a neurosurgeon) and I am a software engineer. She really likes the Gramercy park and Lower East Side neighborhoods. Im just curious if anyone can tell me what they're like from a locals perspective(I'm from the S.F. Bay Area). Together we make about 200,000 before taxes and bonuses and plan to take the train/bike/run to work so no cars, and spend between 3000 and 4500 for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Last edited by madman118; 08-12-2012 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Grammercy Park is by far the nicer neighborhood. But why not try to get centrally located between your two jobs? Or atop one of them?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 AM

420 posts, read 823,615 times
You can do much better than the Lower East Side. It is more gritty, run-down, and more hipster than people in your occupations. Check out Gramercy, also the West Village, Upper West Side, and Upper East Side. Where will both of you work?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Yeah were a bit partial to Gramercy too. She'll likely be working at Bellevue Hospital which is pretty close. My company can offer me a transfer to their Manhattan office which is on Broadway near City Hall. What about Greenwich Village and the East Village area. They seem to be a bit in between where we'll work.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman118 View Post
Yeah were a bit partial to Gramercy too. She'll likely be working at Bellevue Hospital which is pretty close. My company can offer me a transfer to their Manhattan office which is on Broadway near City Hall. What about Greenwich Village and the East Village area. They seem to be a bit in between where we'll work.
East Village is young & grungy and actually borderline sketchy/scary at nighy once you're deep into the Alphabet City section. It's cleaner than it used to be but it is still a neighborhood where one should be on guard at all times....not really talking about the Astor Place side of the EV but the deep EV around Tompkins Sq Park and further east / south.

Greenwich Village itself is NYU student central, especially along Bleeker Street. Only look there if you can afford to live off lower 5th Avenue which is quite lovely!

West Village / TriBeCa/ Lower Chelsea/ Union Square are all good choices if you want a more urban / lively neighborhood. If you're ok in a more mature / quiet neighborhood, you can check from Gramercy north through Tudor City, Sutton Place, Beekman Place (E40-50's). Skip over Murray Hill as its frat party central.

Also, just FYI, I have been surprised several times at the borderline sketchy folks that mill around 1st & 2nd Aves by the VA and Bellevue. I'm sure she's safe working there but I wouldn't want to live in the immediate surrounding blocks.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM

As TurtleCreek said, East Village and Greenwich Village are very NYU-oriented and the further east you go in the East Village, the worse and more destitute it gets. If you want a more quiet but still very uppity vibe, check out the Upper East Side. the 6 train will bring your wife close to Bellevue Hospital and if you work near City Hall, you can take the 4 or 5 express train to get to work quickly.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 PM

How are apartment prices in the Upper East Side compared to Gramercy/Union square? The Upper East Side looks really nice but I'd like to be closer to work.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Depends on where you look, but you can probably get a nice 1-bedroom for around $3000. If you live near the subway, you can get to work in about 15-20 minutes on the 4 or 5 train. Not bad at all.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Oh ok. Also a question about brokers. Do they show apartments on weekends? If we were to fly to NYC to view units it'd have to be partially a weekend like a Friday to Monday thing.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 PM

It really depends on each broker I'd say, but usually a broker is so eager to try and make a sale that he/she would likely accommodate weekend viewings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City