Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:48 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
NYC LAW

NO TURN ON RED except where posted

NO CELL PHONE / NO TEXT MSG!
i was wondering if there are signs when you first enter NYC about this or if they are up all around the city? because for someone coming in from anywhere else than that, how are they supposed to know that this is the only city in the country to have this exception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
i was wondering if there are signs when you first enter NYC about this or if they are up all around the city? because for someone coming in from anywhere else than that, how are they supposed to know that this is the only city in the country to have this exception?
They're posted at most of the major entrances to the city that I've been through.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
They're posted at most of the major entrances to the city that I've been through.
oh ok. i'm screwed then lol. i'm going to be driving a uhaul next weekend to move here and I know that I'm going to turn on red one time at least no matter how much i think about. force of habit i guess

Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 AM

178 posts, read 147,553 times
Driving in NYC is a challenge for the savviest of drivers. There are so many challenges and obstacles that no matter how careful you are, you can still end up in an accident or getting a ticket because you misread a sign. (Some of the parking signs are so confusing that it isn't possible to really understand them. Keep in mind that if there are multiple parking signs on a street and some of them have conflicting information about parking, the one with the most restrictions is the one to follow.)

Between the challenges and the costs of driving in NYC, it's a lot cheaper to use a combination of public transportation, cab/car service, and maybe something like Zip Car for the rare occasion when you really do need a car.

The only reason for driving in NYC generally is convenience, but it sure isn't convenient if you (a) get in an accident; (b) have your car broken into; (c) get a ticket; (d) have the car break down, (e) spend all kinds of time looking for parking, and more.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
maybe something like Zip Car for the rare occasion when you really do need a car.
You have hit the proverbial nail squarely on its proverbial head. And that is exactly why I do not own a car. If the occasion arises that I actually need one, I can always rent.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:25 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Just remember that every single other driver on the road is out to personally kill you and everyone you love.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Always wear your seatbelt! My ex and I were at red light on Jamaica Avenue. He took off his seatbelt to reach into his pocket for something and a cop walking the beat saw him, tapped the window and told him to pull over. I kid you not....he could not get himself out of it!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Don't end up on the outer roadway of the Queensboro Bridge, because it is terrifying. Maybe that's just me.
No, it's not just you-- I hate the outer roadway!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
oh ok. i'm screwed then lol. i'm going to be driving a uhaul next weekend to move here and I know that I'm going to turn on red one time at least no matter how much i think about. force of habit i guess

When in doubt, don't turn on the red. If there is no sign and you're not sure, the car behind you will honk their horn. Basically within the 5 boroughs there is no turn on red unless otherwise posted. Once your on Long Island or out of the city limits you can turn on red unless it's posted that you can't.

Another thing to be aware of is parkways and highways when driving commercial vehicles. You're driving a u-haul, which is a commercial vehicle so you'll have to avoid parkways.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You want to look for a sign that says "After Stop Right Turn Permitted on Red" if you can make the right on red. However, such signs are pretty rare, and you may find them in areas such as highway on ramps, where there is a signal at the top of the ramp, etc.

The number one thing to do in NYC when you are first driving is not to challenge anyone, but also not to be too timid to be a hazard. Always be on the lookout for the cab that's about to cut within an inch of your front bumper, and be prepared to stop on a dime. Remember to go slowly, because speed can kill. There was a campaign on the radio that I remember not too long ago that stated at 40 many pedestrian- involved accidents are fatal, yet at 30 the majority of them are not fatal. Certain communities, like Riverdale, are actually lowering speed limits, though some of the residential streets are so narrow and patched that if you were even to approach 25, you could be risking severe undercarriage damage.

During school hours, be aware of the school buses. I always see cars just drive right by school buses in the city, for some reason, and I think that they either don't know the law, or they don't see the bus. It's a problem, and can be a hefty ticket, so be aware of a school bus, and/or school zone, both for the pedestrians and increased traffic from children being dropped off at school, teachers arriving/departing, etc.

If you are on a city street, know where you are going by car, not as a pedestrian because there are differences. Look at a map until you familiarize yourself with driving routes, as sometimes GPS systems, not to mention satellite radio, can be affected by tall buildings.

If you miss your turn, you have missed it. Don't stop, or try to pull a cabbie move, and cut over at the last second, missing another vehicle by inches. Just drive on to the next turn, and make your way back to where you needed to go. It's not worth it to worry about missing a turn, since you are not likely to wind up getting severely lost, especially if you have a GPS and/or map/phone, etc. to work out a route in the event that happens.

Do not make a U-turn across a double yellow line, no matter what. Either the police will see you, and you will get a ticket, or you will smash into someone in another car, etc., at some point. It's a very bad habit to get into, and is best curbed when you are starting to drive. One of my aunts has been hit by U-turners I believe on four occasions, two of which were caused because she was pulling out of a parking spot with no traffic, only to have the illegal U-turner in the oncoming lane, suddenly smash into the driver's side of her car. She has since given up parking on that street, even though it was convenient for a destination she regularly patronizes.

In the event of an accident, remain calm, and telephone the police. If at all possible, insist on a police report, though be aware that fender benders are treated as minor, and you may have to wait for an officer to respond. Be sure to line up any witnesses and get their phone numbers and contact information, such that you have recourse in the event of a challenged claim. It may seem straightforward that if someone crashes into the rear of your vehicle that they are at fault, but people will attempt to lie their way out of problems, or at very least cast doubt such that the insurance company does not see the situation as clear cut. If your phone does not take pictures, get one that does from your passenger, etc. Take pictures of any damage, and immediately email them to yourself. This will help to record the information on-site, and is especially useful if the car has sustained minor damage, such that you then have to claim with the insurer, if you cannot get a police report.

ALWAYS have your license with you if you are going to drive the car, no exceptions. I carry my license in my wallet, but because I drive more than one vehicle, have a passport-like case that contains the registration card, insurance card, and any other pertinent documents in it, such that it is replaced when the new cards are received, and it's never lost in a glove compartment, wallet, or bag.

Before you drive a friend's car, be sure that the registration is current, and preferably check that they have the insurance card and registration handy if they are in the car. If they are loaning you the car, without them in it, be sure that you have both in your possession when driving. Also, even if they are in the car, look to make sure the inspection is current, and the license plates are properly displayed.

Consider joining AAA or a similar auto club. The cost is not significant, but you can get emergency assistance, towing, jump starts, etc. This coverage follows you, and covers any car in which you are the driver, or passenger, so it could be invaluable when driving, even if you drive a new car, since problems can happen.

I believe that the Holland Tunnel problem of being waved through and then ticketed in droves has been curtailed. However, cars stall all the time, and if yours should just happen to stall when you are being waved through by a traffic agent and you know that you will not clear the intersection before the light changes, that's defensible. Just be sure that you can get the car started again, or you will need to run for the nearest boat to escape to safety from your fellow motorists who may not be rushing to render assistance if you stall out in front of them.

Check your fuel level before you set out, and if the light is on, DON'T get on the FDR, the GWB, any limited access highway or parkway, and especially not the tunnels. Sudden traffic can come out of nowhere, and what you think can be a breeze of a 10-15 minute drive where you can get fuel on the other side, may turn into a much longer trip, and you may run out of fuel Similarly, just give the car a once-over and make sure that the tires are not flat, etc. It's easy to do when you get in the habit of doing so. I tend to glance at the passenger's door, and then walk behind the car to check the tires and for any obvious body damage, etc. that was not there. You can glance at the front of the car from the passenger's side as well. It takes a few seconds, literally, and will clue you into a problem before you set out, such as extremely low tire pressure, where the tire is almost flat, or any hazard that would prevent you from safely moving from a parking spot. If you are always in the habit of running around the car from passenger's side to behind, it's second nature, and a plus for when you open the passenger doors for your passengers, as they will not only think you're a responsible driver, but one with manners.

When parallel parking, be absolutely sure to look before opening the door into a bicyclist, car, bus, pedestrian, etc. If your mirrors automatically fold in, or via remote, do so when you park. If your mirrors fold in manually, fold them in, especially on the street side. You can pull them out if they are manual when you do your once-over of the car before you move it from a spot. And, if the mirrors fold in when you park, be sure to give a glance over your shoulder before opening a door on the street side.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City